Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineRonaldFuckingPaul
Our Dear Leader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Straight Outta Compton Flag
Is meditation worth doing?
    #8169637 - 03/19/08 10:33 PM (16 years, 3 days ago)

And how does one start to do it. I've tried in the past but failed miserably due to my horrible ability at focusing.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleChiefGreenLeaf

Re: Is meditation worth doing? [Re: RonaldFuckingPaul]
    #8169834 - 03/19/08 11:14 PM (16 years, 3 days ago)

Yes it is worth it. Just breath and focus on nothing but the breath. If you have a thought realize it is just a thought and move on. It's ok if you can;t quite your mind at first, that will come with time. Just allow your thoughts to flow. Don't force anything and don't dwell in your thoughts. This is my method. It has really helped me be a better person.

OfflineDimensionX
King of Birds
Male

Loc: Australia Flag
    #8169884 - 03/19/08 11:25 PM (16 years, 3 days ago)

Its definitely worth doing, in my opinion its one of the healthiest things a person can do. You don't realize how much stress you have in your body till you start doing it, it feels like lifting a weight off your chest.

It goes really deep to. Once you get used to it you get to this point where all external thought is gone, and you are this being of pure awareness. There is no confusion, no need to define what you are or where you are, you are just this serene consciousness. Everything is so clear when your like this. I think this is what we all are at our core, just pure awareness.
You start to realize how much of what you thought was yourself is actually external to you.

If you want to do it. This is how i started:

You sit cross legged, i like to prop my back against something because i find it hard to keep my back straight.

Close your eyes and listen to your breath. Focusing on your breath helps stop your mind from getting distracted, counting them helps even more.

Start counting your breaths. When you breath in, count 1, when you breath out, count 2, when you breath in count 3, when you breath out, count 4, and so on till you get to 10. When you get to 10 start again. Once you get pretty good you wont have to count breath anymore. But at the beginning its really necessary or your mind starts to wander.

Every time you breath in or out become more and more relaxed, concentrate on your muscles and consciously remove any tension you find.

When your doing this, thoughts will start to try and intrude and most likely you will start to follow them. When you notice your doing this, just relax and let them go. When you meditate thoughts are just a distraction from yourself, one of the skills is learning to let them go. Letting go of your thoughts is probably the key to meditation. This helps allot in everyday life, because you learn to stop worrying so much.

I hope i described it clearly, Good luck.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Is meditation worth doing? [Re: DimensionX]
    #8170169 - 03/20/08 12:25 AM (16 years, 3 days ago)

I have recently realized that I've been meditating for years but never thought of it like that. Whenever I've sat down and though 'ok, now I'm going to meditate' it has turned into a battle to stay focused and ended with me either forgetting what I'm doing or giving up. But I've also spent a lot of time just paying attention to breath, focusing internally, soberly exploring my consciousness, etc.  The term 'meditation' sounds so serious and it always intimidated me. But that's exactly what all my internal exploration and centering games were/are. Imagine that. :grin:

I would like to start going deeper with it, but I'm not really sure how to go about that...

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
    #8170358 - 03/20/08 02:15 AM (16 years, 3 days ago)

it is very beneficial reefer. just google meditation technique, there are so many different ways to meditate, there is a right way for everyone.

--------------------

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #8170695 - 03/20/08 08:04 AM (16 years, 2 days ago)

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Offlineamberdragonswan
Alice in Wonderland
Female User Gallery

Loc: Soon stepping through the...
Re: Is meditation worth doing? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #8170714 - 03/20/08 08:12 AM (16 years, 2 days ago)

:wink:
When you become proficient at meditation, do not be surprised if you have an OBE (out of body...).  It may be creepy at first, but roll with it- if you're comfortable!!

--------------------
The future is unwritten
:evil:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #8171586 - 03/20/08 11:54 AM (16 years, 2 days ago)

It's definitely worth doing. I am so at peace when I include meditation in my life.

Offlinesmoothrider267
in Sane
Male

Re: Is meditation worth doing? [Re: MOTH]
    #8171675 - 03/20/08 12:13 PM (16 years, 2 days ago)

Do it and experience it for yourself. Give it some time, I am sure you won't regret it.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: Is meditation worth doing? [Re: smoothrider267]
    #8172596 - 03/20/08 04:35 PM (16 years, 2 days ago)

its like orgasm. once you discover it, theres no going back to abstinence. :grin:

--------------------

Offlinejonathanseagull
Cool!
Male

Re: Is meditation worth doing? [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #8172854 - 03/20/08 05:48 PM (16 years, 2 days ago)

A recent thread called "What has Meditation Done for You?"
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/8131348/an/0/page/1

--------------------
Loving in truth, and fain in verse my love to show, That the dear She might take some pleasure of my pain: Pleasure might cause her read, reading might make her know, Knowledge might pity win, and pity grace obtain.

OfflineRonaldFuckingPaul
Our Dear Leader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Straight Outta Compton Flag
Re: Is meditation worth doing? [Re: jonathanseagull]
    #8173578 - 03/20/08 08:42 PM (16 years, 2 days ago)

alright so I tried meditating just now but fell asleep. What am I doing wrong?

--------------------

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

#8174466 - 03/21/08 12:05 AM (16 years, 2 days ago)

Get enough sleep. And don't do it when you're tired enough to fall asleep.

It's something you have to keep doing even if you don't feel like you're getting anywhere. If your effort is contingent on immediate results then you probably won't keep doing it. Read the guide I posted and keep doing it. Just take fifteen minutes here and there and sit for a bit.

Don't worry about benefits for now.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

InvisibleaDoS
freedom lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: land of the free
    #8174662 - 03/21/08 01:00 AM (16 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

reeferaddict69 said:
And how does one start to do it. I've tried in the past but failed miserably due to my horrible ability at focusing.

A lot of people say it works for them and its worth it. But in my experience I think its just bullshit.

--------------------
"If we could sniff or swallow something that would, for five or six hours each day, abolish our solitude as individuals, atone us with our fellows in a glowing exaltation of affection and make life in all its aspects seem not only worth living, but divinely beautiful and significant, and if this heavenly, world-transfiguring drug were of such a kind that we could wake up next morning with a clear head and an undamaged constitution - then, it seems to me, all our problems (and not merely the one small problem of discovering a novel pleasure) would be wholly solved and earth would become paradise." - Aldous Huxley
:drooling:GIVE ME OPIATES OR GIVE ME DEATH:drooling:

Edited by aDoS (03/21/08 01:10 AM)

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Re: Is meditation worth doing? [Re: aDoS]
    #8174690 - 03/21/08 01:09 AM (16 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

aDoS said:

A lot of people say it works for them and its worth it. But in my experience I think its just bullshit. Opiates are way better.

BAD ADVICE ALERT

BAD ADVICE ALERT

--------------------

InvisibleaDoS
freedom lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: land of the free
Re: Is meditation worth doing? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #8174694 - 03/21/08 01:11 AM (16 years, 2 days ago)

its been edited :smirk:

--------------------
"If we could sniff or swallow something that would, for five or six hours each day, abolish our solitude as individuals, atone us with our fellows in a glowing exaltation of affection and make life in all its aspects seem not only worth living, but divinely beautiful and significant, and if this heavenly, world-transfiguring drug were of such a kind that we could wake up next morning with a clear head and an undamaged constitution - then, it seems to me, all our problems (and not merely the one small problem of discovering a novel pleasure) would be wholly solved and earth would become paradise." - Aldous Huxley
:drooling:GIVE ME OPIATES OR GIVE ME DEATH:drooling:

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Loc: off the wall
    #8176016 - 03/21/08 01:51 PM (16 years, 1 day ago)

meditation is something that takes time and practise to really understand. it is most effective done every day an upon waking. 'mindfulness in plain english' is a good starting book. it is also good to start off slow (10-15 in the morning) so you don't get intimidated and can easily make the practise a habit.

a lot of people don't continue to do it because they don't notice any immediate effects, and simply conclude that they 'cant do it'. it is as though you are a seed, and meditation is watering yourself, allowing you to grow and bloom. the more you do it, the more you feel silence expanding within. it is such a spacial feeling allowing you to move around more freely.

also, many find insight meditation to be much more effective than concentration meditation. I like to watch everything that rises within my body and senses. Each thought, feeling, sound that arises be aware of it. be in a constant state of awareness, and soon gaps within the thought process will occur. these gaps grow and expand with practise and are truly amazing.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

#8179046 - 03/22/08 08:47 AM (16 years, 19 hours ago)

Here is a fantastic video by Jon Kabat-Zinn on meditation. It's prefect for beginners and includes a guided meditation in it.

&feature=related

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom