Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineChemy
Jesus is Lord

Loc: A Church
Re: Any martial artists? *DELETED* [Re: wilgi]
    #8172331 - 03/20/08 03:19 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

Post deleted by Chemy

Reason for deletion: Reason for deleting?

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous

Get help, help is free and available 24/7/365.

God bless you all and I hope you receive the help you need to turn away from your lives of sin.

Mushrooms and drugs make you gay, you can reverse this homosexual condition with rehab, get help! Stop being gay!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: Chemy]
    #8172344 - 03/20/08 03:22 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

Whatever, I don't really care.

I was just letting the n00b know that people don't like to waste their time on 4 year old threads.

If he wants to post here, more power to him.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Invisiblewilgi
Stranger
Male

Re: Any martial artists? [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #8172364 - 03/20/08 03:27 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

well i got linked to it and didnt look at the date, and just posted, and before i could delete it there were replies, so i just left it... and yea thanks for the advice though, i should look at the dates and i am new to this forum, so all critique is helpful in having everyone be ok with me posting, so yea, thanks and peace.

OfflinePilzeEssen

Loc: USA
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: wilgi]
    #8174680 - 03/21/08 01:06 AM (16 years, 11 days ago)

aikido sucks. i can say that because i wasted a lot of time out of my life with that bullshit. its not anywhere close to street applicable.

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: PilzeEssen]
    #8174775 - 03/21/08 01:42 AM (16 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

PilzeEssen said:
aikido sucks. i can say that because i wasted a lot of time out of my life with that bullshit. its not anywhere close to street applicable.

sure it is.. after you spend about 10 years studying it. I know a guy who's been training in Aikido for 18 years and he can do some crazy shit in a street fight even against skilled opponents.
It has a very steep learning curve and isn't a practical fighting style for a novice by any means, sort of like Chin Na. It requires many years of practice and pinpoint precision.

--------------------

OfflineOG bub
Strangerthanmost
Male

Loc: midwest US
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: Shroomism]
    #8175318 - 03/21/08 10:08 AM (16 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
sure it is.. after you spend about 10 years studying it. I know a guy who's been training in Aikido for 18 years and he can do some crazy shit in a street fight even against skilled opponents.
It has a very steep learning curve and isn't a practical fighting style for a novice by any means, sort of like Chin Na. It requires many years of practice and pinpoint precision.

agreed.
learning a style takes time. learning how to apply it to combat takes more time.
alot of it depends on the school's/instructors intent.

peace, bub.

--------------------
High, I am bub.

OfflineMDMC
Strangler

#8175576 - 03/21/08 11:38 AM (16 years, 10 days ago)

I've done wing chun and karate.

The wing chun easily defeats the karate.

Invisiblewilgi
Stranger
Male

Re: Any martial artists? [Re: OG bub]
    #8175581 - 03/21/08 11:39 AM (16 years, 10 days ago)

aikido is not practical, no aikido fighter has ever beaten a high calibur kick boxer or grappler

on the street, if you use it, you better hope the guy your fighting didnt wrestle in high school, or has never taken boxing, because in the heat you wont execute any of your moves, i have trained in martial arts since i was six, i now have been teaching for 5 years and i am a california taekwondo state champion and i have won 9 mmma fights, and have had 11 years of jiu jitsu (japanese and brazilian) and again 8 years of kick boxing, and having so many aikido instructors and students come learn at my gyms, the martial art is hobby, and by no means a skilled set for self defense. much love

--------------------
retired

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
    #8175626 - 03/21/08 11:50 AM (16 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
Any of you pubbers practice any martial arts?  I ask because I'm looking at my schools Rec & Sports offerings for the semester and I have a few extra free credits i could use.  I take canoeing and kayaking and camping, but a martial arts course would be neat.

Anyway, I'll list the choices available and I'd love some feedback if you've taken any of them in the past and enjoyed it.

Aikido
Brazilian Jui-Jitsu
Capoeira
Karate
Kendo
Okinawan Kobudo Weapons: Bo and Sai
Russian Martial Arts (?) WTF are these?
Shaolin Kung-Fu
Tae-Kwon-Do
T'ai Chi Ch'uan (I thought this was more like a yoga thing?)
Wing Chun Kung Fu (Funny Name)

I'm not sure I'll take any of them, but they're free, so i might as well take advantage of it whil ei have the chance.

jeet kune do all the way madtown.

i say this because it is not a style per se, it is the style of all styles. it incorporates the best aspects of many styles. bruce lee designed it to become an evolving style, one that forms to what works best.

i used to be in tae kwon do, kickboxing, highschool wrestling and freestyle wrestling. i havent had the time recently to get back into martial arts as i would like to, but i do have just about every one of bruce's books and every book written about him and jeet kune do, and i practice on my own. obviously finding a school for it would be tits, but 1. dont know of any around my area, and 2. no time right now.  i have progressed pretty well i think though, at least for teaching myself with books and videos. :shrug:

i am also a big fan of eagle claw kung fu. some real badasses were born out of that style.  also, shaolin kung fu is pretty awesome, ive watched a few documentaries on the shaolin monks over in china, and holy shit, talk about some steel plated war machines. although, they dedicate their whole lives to it.

also you should look into Krav Maga.  the one good thing to come out of israel IMO. :lol:

--------------------

Edited by LeftyBurnz (03/21/08 11:52 AM)

OfflineOG bub
Strangerthanmost
Male

#8176089 - 03/21/08 02:11 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

Right on! cool to meet another instructor! I used to teach at the ShaoLin center in Colorado Springs.

Quote:

wilgi said:
aikido is not practical, no aikido fighter has ever beaten a high calibur kick boxer or grappler

says who, and have you met them all?
I agree with yer point, but it is misleading to make such a generalization.

Quote:

wilgi said:on the street, if you use it, you better hope the guy your fighting didnt wrestle in high school, or has never taken boxing, because in the heat you wont execute any of your moves,

you never know who you will encounter on the streets, it would be better to know aikido, than nothing at all.

Quote:

wilgi said: i have trained in martial arts since i was six, i now have been teaching for 5 years and i am a california taekwondo state champion and i have won 9 mmma fights, and have had 11 years of jiu jitsu (japanese and brazilian) and again 8 years of kick boxing, and having so many aikido instructors and students come learn at my gyms, the martial art is hobby, and by no means a skilled set for self defense. much love

again, I agree with yer point.. but coming from you or I, it would be semi irrelevant to many folks, who have FAR less experience. Aikido CAN be effective, if it is TAUGHT to be effective. plain and simple.
however, I would not advise someone to study ONLY aikido, because there are other, far more effective and direct styles to use in combat.

but like everyone else, thats just my opinion.

peace, bub.

--------------------
High, I am bub.

Invisiblewilgi
Stranger
Male

Re: Any martial artists? [Re: OG bub]
    #8176592 - 03/21/08 04:39 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

the original question is what to study, aikido as a single style of fighting is awful, and you dont need aikido at all to be well rounded, aikido is a hobby, and if you aquire its technique, it wont benefit you. if you aquire one of these, jiu jitsu's, or judo's, or taekwondo's, or mauy thai's, technique, ext.. any one of those, will be 100x more effective, in any fight. and they are all just as time consuming.
and it is not a generalization about the kick boxer or grappler, martial artists all have "tool chests" per say, of techniques, and a kick boxer and a grappler have larger more effected and faster tools then any aikido fighter, if there is even aikido "fighters", and never in any mixed martial arts match has a aikido fighter won, using a aikido technique, this is true. and any pure aikido fighter can fight a pure grappler and will lose, and any pure aikido fighter can fight a pure kick boxer, and will lose, fact.

--------------------
retired

Invisiblewilgi
Stranger
Male

#8176610 - 03/21/08 04:45 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

if someone wants to do aikido as a hobby, more power to them, ive studied it, it is enjoyable, but these days most people dont have extra time to learn a 3rd party martial art like aikido, and the martial arts i mentioned above are as time consuming as you'd like them to be, the thing is, if you do have time for a non practical 3rd party martial art, then id do yoga instead, because it will help you grappling or kickboxing greatly, and yes i agree that aikido is better then NOTHING, but if you know aikido, that still doesnt mean you will be safe in a street fight, by any means, because in aikido, the sparring is so limited, you wouldn't know how to deal with all the elements of a actual fight, this is another fact

--------------------
retired

OfflinePilzeEssen

Re: Any martial artists? [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #8176639 - 03/21/08 04:50 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
Any of you pubbers practice any martial arts?  I ask because I'm looking at my schools Rec & Sports offerings for the semester and I have a few extra free credits i could use.  I take canoeing and kayaking and camping, but a martial arts course would be neat.

Anyway, I'll list the choices available and I'd love some feedback if you've taken any of them in the past and enjoyed it.

Aikido
Brazilian Jui-Jitsu
Capoeira
Karate
Kendo
Okinawan Kobudo Weapons: Bo and Sai
Russian Martial Arts (?) WTF are these?
Shaolin Kung-Fu
Tae-Kwon-Do
T'ai Chi Ch'uan (I thought this was more like a yoga thing?)
Wing Chun Kung Fu (Funny Name)

I'm not sure I'll take any of them, but they're free, so i might as well take advantage of it whil ei have the chance.

jeet kune do all the way madtown.

i say this because it is not a style per se, it is the style of all styles. it incorporates the best aspects of many styles. bruce lee designed it to become an evolving style, one that forms to what works best.

i used to be in tae kwon do, kickboxing, highschool wrestling and freestyle wrestling. i havent had the time recently to get back into martial arts as i would like to, but i do have just about every one of bruce's books and every book written about him and jeet kune do, and i practice on my own. obviously finding a school for it would be tits, but 1. dont know of any around my area, and 2. no time right now.  i have progressed pretty well i think though, at least for teaching myself with books and videos. :shrug:

i am also a big fan of eagle claw kung fu. some real badasses were born out of that style.  also, shaolin kung fu is pretty awesome, ive watched a few documentaries on the shaolin monks over in china, and holy shit, talk about some steel plated war machines. although, they dedicate their whole lives to it.

also you should look into Krav Maga.  the one good thing to come out of israel IMO. :lol:

jeet kune do is not something anyone can teach. there was only 1 person who knew it. and we all know who that was.

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#8176698 - 03/21/08 05:06 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

actually it has lived on and will as long as there are dedicated students. he had several close friends and students to which he taught everything he possibly could, he left behind tons of instructions, pictorial explanation, and several videos.

john little, dan isosanto and m. uyehara are just three of those people. the students at his school have worked their asses off to teach and spread bruce's work. not to mention all of the work that his wife, brandon and shannon have done with the bruce lee foundation. it is far from gone.

obviously it will never attain the heights that it would have if he were still alive.

--------------------

OfflinePilzeEssen

#8176749 - 03/21/08 05:21 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

i had a few conversations about JKD with my shifu

(theres some dipshit in town who thinks he knows JKD and has a school, his highest up student got his ass totally demolished when he came to our school to spar)

"JKD" vs mantis kung fu = mantis kung fu as the winner in a rediculouslessly short amount of time.

JKD requires YEARS of studying many different systems. you cant just teach someone JKD. they have to figure it out themselves and it takes YEARS.

--------------------

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

#8176788 - 03/21/08 05:36 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

i train in muay thai and have been for the past 3 years now. i love it...clinching, kneeing, elbowing, kicking, punching...you utilize everything. hands down one of the best martial arts or fighting method which is effective in striking.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#8176879 - 03/21/08 06:05 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

PilzeEssen said:
i had a few conversations about JKD with my shifu

(theres some dipshit in town who thinks he knows JKD and has a school, his highest up student got his ass totally demolished when he came to our school to spar)

"JKD" vs mantis kung fu = mantis kung fu as the winner in a rediculouslessly short amount of time.

JKD requires YEARS of studying many different systems. you cant just teach someone JKD. they have to figure it out themselves and it takes YEARS.

i do agree that there are alot of self proclaimed JKD schools/teachers, however you cannot say that it cannot be taught, it is every day, the majority of legitimate schools are in cali, but there are a few here and there throughout the rest of the country. bruces students and fellow instructors have been spreading out continually since his death.

it takes years to REFINE it, just as with any other style, you can learn the core principles and moves in a matter of months to a year. there are very few styles where you can learn and refine the techniques in less than YEARS. bruce designed it to be easily learned and easily picked up on. and also, it is a style that will never be complete, it is a constantly evolving form, you will never "master" this form, because bruce himself said that it was not something he sought to perfect, as it was a continually evolving form.

there are a set amount of moves, principles and techniques that bruce thought all JKD students should know, and you can be taught those by an experienced JKD instructor. the hardest part is finding someone who you can legitimately trace back to bruce. if they were not taught by bruce himself or 2nd generation students taught by bruces best students and fellow instructors, then they arent legit. there are no instructors past 2nd generation yet.

--------------------

OfflineOG bub
Strangerthanmost
Male

#8177404 - 03/21/08 08:24 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

leftysurprise, yepp, a good JKD instructor has proof of liniage, as should and instructor of any style of MA school.

Quote:

wilgi said:

a kick boxer and a grappler have larger more effected and faster tools then any aikido fighter, if there is even aikido "fighters", and never in any mixed martial arts match has a aikido fighter won, using a aikido technique, this is true. and any pure aikido fighter can fight a pure grappler and will lose, and any pure aikido fighter can fight a pure kick boxer, and will lose, fact.

its nice you know so many facts..
finding specs to every MMA fight ever fought would be impressive, especially since such a document dosent exist.. but you may consider your experience, factual..

but so you know.. in a street fight, combat, you can know any or every tactic in the world, and it wont gaurentee you a win..... thats a "fact"
in the same hand, I, and obviously you, would be confident in a fight with any aikido fighter..

im not trying to debate with you, the effectiveness of any one style.. Im shure your skills have won you many fights. just implying its better to be more open minded when it comes to an actual fight, off the mat, because all yer "facts" are refrenced to controlled fights bro.... not Street fights..

Quote:

wilgi said:
and yes i agree that aikido is better then NOTHING, but if you know aikido, that still doesnt mean you will be safe in a street fight, by any means, because in aikido, the sparring is so limited, you wouldn't know how to deal with all the elements of a actual fight, this is another fact

erm, there are no facts about that, just opinion....
there are no promises in any street fight, ever, no matter how much, of what you know.. the pavement is not the mat. nor is the sparring partner yer combatant..you dont get to tap out or win by call on the bricks..

but thats just my opinion......... not a "FACT" :wink:

let me quote my original post so mabey youll see what Im saying and not take it as an argument toward you.
Quote:

OG bub said:
been practicing various arts for about 15 years. my focus is with ShaoLin LongFist and Chin Na styles. groundfighting was also a big study for me.
Ive practiced:
KungFu (various styles)
TKD/Karate/KSK
boxing
wrestling/Judo
short stick and staff fighting.
and SF unarmed combat.

they all have something good to offer. I think the most important thing is to find a good foundation or platform, to add other supliment styles to, to become more adaptable to various situations.
My platform style lies in KungFu.

Peace, bub.

that said, happy trails.
Peace, bub.

--------------------
High, I am bub.

OfflineTylerDurden
I sell soap

Loc: 1537 Paper St.
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #8178998 - 03/22/08 08:18 AM (16 years, 9 days ago)

BJJ all the way. If I was going to know one defense system that would be it.

--------------------

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: TylerDurden]
    #8182510 - 03/23/08 03:32 AM (16 years, 9 days ago)

Bruce Lee did not 'invent' JKD, the set of philosophies that make up JKD have existed in China far before him. He just brought it to america and gave it a name.

Not saying he wasn't a good guy. :sun:

--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder