Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineStrabo
Stranger
Seizures--anyone seen this?
    #812532 - 08/12/02 08:36 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Hi all...
The other night me and some friends were doing a little level-3 trip on some C. Cubensis and we had with us three people that were new to shrooms. Of these three, two had a good trip--no worries.
However, one girl, as she started peaking, started having seizures. Uncontrollable muscle spasms that looked painful as hell.
It was scary and I was about to take her out of the house and call an ambulance. Each time a "wave" would hit she would start with the seizures again.
The fact that they were coming and going made gave us enough confidence that nothing deadly was about to happen. She was having no trouble breathing, no pain, and she was lucid and could speak fine.
So we rode it out.
As she came down a bit, the seizures went away...but this took about 4 hours to happen. This would indicate to me that the effect was partially dependent on the dosage. Once she came down a bit the seizures stopped entirely and she was able to have a good trip.
I know that strobe lights can kick off an epileptic when on shrooms...but I have never heard of any problems like this in an otherwise healthy individual.
She does have ambliopea (a slight disfunction of the visual cortex that causes her to have very poor sight in one eye).
Has anyone heard of these kind of seizures before?

Thanks
Strabo

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
Re: Seizures--anyone seen this? [Re: Strabo]
    #812576 - 08/12/02 09:02 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Those aren't seizures. They're just muscle spasms. I got those the first time I took mushrooms when I was coming up. Sometimes I get them when I get suuuuper baked. They are a bit unnerving, but they're harmless and painless. I don't know what causes it, but it comes and goes in waves like you describe with no negative effects. I bet next time she doesn't have them at all.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Offlinenezshoo
<--- SOMA

Loc: California
    #812592 - 08/12/02 09:11 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Did you guys have anything around that would be causing her to do this? You said something about a strobe light but you didn't say if you had one. Maybe she was just faking it to trip you guys out!

OfflineStrabo
Stranger
    #813426 - 08/12/02 05:04 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Hm...muscle spasms? I use the word seizure because she was flopping around on the floor legs arms, hands convulsing etc. It was not an act though.
Was yours of the same magnitude? Must have been pretty disconcerting if it was.
I guess what I am trying to determine here is how dangerous this is and how likely is it to happen to her again.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

#814155 - 08/13/02 04:20 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

When it happens to me it starts as a slight tremor in my thighs, to a point where I cannot hide it from others in the room. Then it intensifies until I am lying in the fetal position shaking hard enough to rattle my bedsprings. It was EXTREMELY disconcerting the first time (Thought I was going to die; it's SCARY), now it's debilitating but I don't worry about it because it goes away (I thought I as permanently FUCKED the first time). When it really gets going I can see the individual muscles firing in my legs as if they've been zapped with a mild electrical charge; sort of like an involuntary reflex, but in all different muscles.

Did she just drop to the floor and start convulsing? Or did it creep up on her for a bit? Since she was lucid it sounds to me like just a temporary loss of muscular control. Is there any other component to it besides the spasming? Dizziness? Cold sweat?

It just doesn't sound like a seizure to me. I've seen epileptic seizures before and whether there is any convulsing or not, the epileptic is never lucid or responsive. I'm no expert on seizures but I've never heard of four hour seizures.

The one thing that sort of throws me is the duration. I usually get it for about 10 minutes at a time a few times when I'm VERY VERY stoned (more stoned than most people get on weed) and it goes away when the initial 'stone' starts to decrease a bit. I imagine if I stayed that stoned for 4 hours then I would shake for that long. Can't imagine that though. I also got it mildly once coming up on mushrooms but I got distracted and I guess it went away. At the time I certainly wasn't as high as I was with the weed. However, other times I've tripped much harder and didn't have any tremors at all.

I'd really like to figure out what it is because I've never heard of it happening to other people before. I thought I was a weirdo. I find that it happens only when I'm too too high. Please ask her a few questions if you can: Where (on the body) and how does it start? Has anything like this ever happened to her before in another circumstance?

Better yet print up this post and ask her if it is similar to my experiences. I'd like to hear what she says about it. Other than the duration it sounds EXACTLY like what happens to me.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

Edited by CyberChump (08/13/02 04:43 AM)

OfflineStrabo
Stranger
    #814259 - 08/13/02 05:23 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Wow...thanks for the info man. That sounds like *exactly* what was happening to her.
It did seem to focus on her right side more than her left.
I told her next time I would bring left-handed shrooms, to even up the workout.
From what I saw it creeped up on her as the peak increased and then started to fade in frequency and intensity as the peak faded.
There was no cold sweat and she was lucid...
Do you have anything like ambliopea or anything like that?
My best theory was that the stimulation to the visual cortex was causing her brain to get input in the area of her vis cortex effected by the ambliopea--and so her brain "freaked out" a little bit not knowing what to do with that input as it was not used to getting it at that area.
Still that is just a theory.
If anyone else has any theories out there I would love to hear em...

Thanks
Strabo

OfflineStrabo
Stranger
    #814268 - 08/13/02 05:28 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Oop...
And Nezshoo no...we didn't have any strobe lights goin. Lava lamps..plasma balls etc.. but no strobes.

:-)

Offlinebadjessejames
G HEAD

Loc: :) Passed out on my co...
    #814277 - 08/13/02 05:35 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

This happened to one of my friends from just smoking a big blunt on an empty stomache......I think we found out somehow it something to do with a signifagant drop in blood pressure .....

--------------------

"My generation played a really mean trick on me. I thought we were all
goofing off together, but it turns out everybody else went and got rich
while I was sleeping." Mission Hill

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

#814383 - 08/13/02 06:19 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think the ambliopea is related. I don't have it, and the shaking has nothing to do with visual stimulation. I was in the dark. Anyway, tell your friend she is okay. I suspect next time she doses it won't happen. It only happened the first time I dosed shrooms. Just have her take the same amount as last time. Badjessejames said something about a drop in blood pressure; that could be. Try eating some salt

Yeah and make sure they're those southpaw shrooms.

--------------------

Edited by CyberChump (08/13/02 06:21 AM)

Offlinetwitchy
Stranger
Re: Seizures--anyone seen this? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #815446 - 08/13/02 02:56 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Hey all,

I'm the girl that had the seizures so I thought that I would go ahead and post, in my own words, what exactly I experienced the other night. Thanks to Strabo for posting this querey and also for just being there for me while this was all happening. I owe you, bud.

Okay, let me just first say that this was not my first "time" but it was the first time I had ever used a hallucinogen. I knew to expect some weirdness, obviously, but not to this extent. About 20-30 mins after I had taken the shrooms, my right hand started to shake a little bit. I thought nothing of it really. Then my right leg began to shake a bit and that got me curious. I asked everyone else if they felt anxious or if they were having similar muscle twitches and they said not really.

Once I started to really feel the effects taking hold, my hand had gone from a mild shaking to more severe contractions- to the point where my hand was contorted into the shape of a "claw". Then the spasm got worse and traveled up the entire length of my arm. Suddenly, I felt all the muscles in my back and stomach contract and I lurched forward in my chair into a fetal position.

At this point, everyone started to kind of become uncomfortable and wonder what they should do to help. I was concious the whole time and they were asking me if I was okay and what they could do to help me. I told them I was okay and I didn't need anything. This had never happened to me before and I didn't know what I needed, to be honest.

The first wave finally subsided and I was able to start to enjoy my trip (which, at this point, was starting to get very interesting ) so I got out of the recliner I was sitting in and sat on the floor. The spasms were so severe by this point that I was afraid that I was going to break it! I was okay for awhile and then they started again. I would be sitting up, the shaking would start in my hand, quickly work it's way up my arm, and then I would end up in the fetal position, completely at the mercy of the contractions. I would be on my back or side one minute and then I could suddenly sit up and be in full control of all my muscles.

It never hurt, I was always aware of what was going on and I could respond to people verbally. I was not worried about what was happening because I didn't lose consciousness, I could breath just fine, and they would come and go in waves that seemed to become less severe as the night wore on. Also, if they could distract me long enough or get my attention quickly, I was able to stay in control. However, this was after a couple of hours.

At any rate, they finally subsided completely and I was able to truly enjoy the experience. I was just sorry that I freaked them out and then they couldn't enjoy their trips to the fullest extent. And, even though it may not have looked like it, I did have a GREAT time and I will DEFINATELY do it again! Maybe in a smaller dosage next time.

Thanks for listening!
-Twitchy

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
Re: Seizures--anyone seen this? [Re: twitchy]
    #815505 - 08/13/02 03:22 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

try taking some patassium before your trip. it seems to help with muscle cramps spasms etc.....

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

OfflineMosby
Stranger
Male
Loc: Letterkenny Ireland
    #816484 - 08/13/02 11:38 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I have seen this type of reaction with bad drug interactions where you takeing any other drugs or on any perscription meds? The fact that it seemed to be localized on 1 side of the body leads me to belive it was a nurological event and not just intramuscular spasming.In any case sizures or any event that affects only one side of the body should be sending red flags up that something is going bad wrong in the brain.Was this a isolated event? Have you had any other episodes where there is weakness or loss of control on one side ? The ambliopea maybe involved was it diognosed by catscan or MRI testing? If anything simular happens I would talk to a nurologist.

OfflineBrainNirvana
Stranger

Re: Seizures--anyone seen this? [Re: Mosby]
    #816492 - 08/13/02 11:59 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I got stabed through the arm about a year ago. I have radial nerve damage real bad down my left arm due to this. It cause the arm to shake allot. Also seems to happen more when I drink, smoke, etc...

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

#816617 - 08/14/02 02:57 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

About 20-30 minutes after the first time I took shrooms I noticed my legs were tremoring and it was getting pretty bad, very much like you describe. Then it went away. My next mushroom trip was much stronger but I experienced no tremors. That's why I'd bet that it won't happen next time. Try a smaller dose and see.

--------------------

OfflineNatural2me
Bonafied Friar!

#817474 - 08/15/02 09:02 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Hey cyber chump.. do u have a link on how to make that oragomi Devil.. thats really neat...

--------------------
EvEryThInG In ThIs PoSt Is CoMpLeTlY A WoRk oF FiCtIoN AnD Is NoT To Be TaKeN SeRiOuSlY!!

Offlinetwitchy
Stranger
Re: Seizures--anyone seen this? [Re: Mosby]
    #819280 - 08/16/02 03:04 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I'm not taking any other drugs or perscription meds and I have never had seizures in my life. So, it seemed to be an isolated event.

The amblyopia was diagnosed when I about 3 or even younger through visual tests. Now I only where glasses on occassion when I am reading or using the computer for long periods of time. It has never caused me to have any kind of physical problems other than the poor vision in only one eye.

I am going to take a smaller dose soon with some of the same people, and they are going to see if that helps. If the same thing happens again, then I guess I don't get to play with the other kiddies.
But, I think it'll be allright!

A big thank you to everyone who's posted; especially CyberChump. All of your info is greatly appreciated!

Edited by twitchy (08/16/02 03:08 AM)

OfflineMosby
Stranger
Male
Loc: Letterkenny Ireland
    #822194 - 08/16/02 07:55 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Since you say you use glasses to correct amblyopia still I am asuming it is an astigmatic type as opposed to strabismus. The 1st poster spoke of damaged visual cortex was why I asked is MRI or cat scan had confirmed atrophy. The episode you had sounds alot like you had athtoid tremors allthough athtoid is perdomitly affecting upper body and back. Where none of this is life threatening can see where it would be disconcerting to you and those around you while tripping. If this is a cascadeing event starting in the visual cortex may want to try blocking the weak eye while on shrooms I know that is exact oppisit of treatment for amblyopia but limiting the stimulation of the optic nerve may stop a cascade from the visual cortex from speading across the hemisphear. But then again the amblyopia may not be releted at all : ) and could just of been low potasium or calcium but the single side of body thing keeps drawing me back to the brain as the cause

InvisibleKertiner
journeyman
Re: Seizures--anyone seen this? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #822978 - 08/17/02 06:42 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

CyberChump wrote:
>The one thing that sort of throws me is the duration. I usually get it for about 10
>minutes at a time a few times when I'm VERY VERY stoned
> (more stoned than most people get on weed) and it goes away when
>the initial 'stone' starts to decrease a bit.

Wow, i thought i was the only one reacting like that.
I do weed seldom, maybe a few times a year.
Then i smoke a bit more, my legs/thighs always began to shiver/tremor. Sometimes only to the extend, that i still coud hide it from other persons

On one day i took a hash cookie, that should contained about 1.5 gram hash.
Maybe 90 min later the spasms begun very hard, first only my legs, then my arms too. (additional i felt dizzy and also puked and had light visuals)
I had the same timley pattern like you "...I usually get it for about 10
>minutes at a time a few times..."
It looked very strange and dangerous, my friends always said "That is going to far, we have to bring you in a hospital..etc." I talked them down, no, no hospital, i will be fine soon, hopefully.
And after maybe 3-4 hours all spasms had been gone.

Good to hear, that i am not the only one reacting like this, i wonder whats the cause of this.

On a sidenote:
I never had any spasms or anything like that on shrooms.

OfflineAbyss
Fist full of Mushrooms
Male

Loc: NorCal
    #824590 - 08/17/02 07:52 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Just a thought.....
Maybe your body is trying to tell you something.
I know that drugs can be fun but think about
what your doing. If your body gets all twisted
like that maybe you shouldn't do it. Mushies
are not for everyone, like I said just a thought.
Your body is the only one you have, take care
of it.

Peace Love & Hair Grease,
Abyss

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order