Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Obama: Grandma 'Typical White Person' Fearing Everyone She Doesn't Know
    #8172212 - 03/20/08 02:49 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

Obama: Grandma 'Typical White Person' Fearing Everyone She Doesn't Know

It seems the more Barack Obama tries to explain the peculiar statement he made Tuesday concerning his white grandmother's "fear of black men who passed by her on the street," the more he's assuring attention regarding the matter.

Though it remains to be seen how much focus a media clearly looking to move beyond this subject will give, Obama called into a Philadelphia sports radio station on Thursday making comments that, if publicized, might get him in even more trouble with white voters.

"The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity. But she is a typical white person. If she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know. . .there's a reaction in her that doesn't go away and it comes out in the wrong way.

Wow. Is this really how a "typical white person" behaves?

Will this statement be the subject of great debate and discussion by press members in the next 24 hours, or be ignored by media looking desperately to get off this topic?

Stay tuned.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/03/20/obama-grandma-typical-white-person-fearing-everyone-she-doesnt-know

keep on digging Obama!:rofl2:

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

Re: Obama: Grandma 'Typical White Person' Fearing Everyone She Doesn't Know [Re: lonestar2004]
    #8172225 - 03/20/08 02:54 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

this is fucking bullshit.

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: Obama: Grandma 'Typical White Person' Fearing Everyone She Doesn't Know [Re: im_on_a_boat]
    #8172298 - 03/20/08 03:10 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

drkrobotnik said:
this is fucking bullshit.

what is a "typical White person"????

or what is a typical Black person???

or what is a typical Asian person?

IMO ALL races are not all a like.

Obama = Racist

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Cat's Cradle
Re: Obama: Grandma 'Typical White Person' Fearing Everyone She Doesn't Know [Re: lonestar2004]
    #8172410 - 03/20/08 03:41 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

I've never gone down to the slums and not had somebody, whether they be white, black, or brown, not say anything at all about some random dude, whatever color he may be, like he is gonna shoot us, or how unsafe it is with all the (nsert negative racial slur here) around.

I'm just saying that where I come from, racism is pretty ingrained into everyone. I know not all peple are racist, but B-Rock's statement as posted above is loosely accurate.

--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: Obama: Grandma 'Typical White Person' Fearing Everyone She Doesn't Know [Re: dill705]
    #8172433 - 03/20/08 03:46 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

dill705 said:
I've never gone down to the slums and not had somebody, whether they be white, black, or brown, not say anything at all about some random dude, whatever color he may be, like he is gonna shoot us, or how unsafe it is with all the (nsert negative racial slur here) around.

I'm just saying that where I come from, racism is pretty ingrained into everyone. I know not all peple are racist, but B-Rock's statement as posted above is loosely accurate.

thats your defense of the rasict bigot obama?:rofl2:

You sound like Jesse Jackson!

"There is nothing more painful to me ... than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved."the Reverend Jesse Jackson

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

#8172465 - 03/20/08 03:56 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

Do you ever think that maybe he fucked up a few words. I know you guys let McCain say dumb shit about Iran training Al-Quida and just chalk it up to the misspoke column.

And do you notice the .... in the middle of his sentence? I'd like to see the full transcript.

And I don't see you denying an entrenched racism, just you comparing me to Jesse Jackson. :rolleyes:

That guy ain't got shit on me. I hear him speak, and it's just dumb a lot of the times.

--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: Obama: Grandma 'Typical White Person' Fearing Everyone She Doesn't Know [Re: dill705]
    #8172480 - 03/20/08 03:59 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

Jesse Jackson is just a 'Typical Black Person'

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

#8172508 - 03/20/08 04:07 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

You sound like a typical Texan. :thumbdown:

The generalities are just massing up. Obama clearly doesn't hate white people. I'm  sick of everyone jumping on the bandwagon to politically kill the ONLY DECENT politician I've known in my lifetime.

Fucking prove it or move it.

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#8172518 - 03/20/08 04:11 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

dill705 said:
You sound like a typical Texan. :thumbdown:

'Typical White Person' Barack Obama

lonestar2004 said:
Jesse Jackson is just a 'Typical Black Person'

that was a joke.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

#8172595 - 03/20/08 04:34 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

dont fuck with texas.

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

Re: Obama: Grandma 'Typical White Person' Fearing Everyone She Doesn't Know [Re: im_on_a_boat]
    #8172874 - 03/20/08 05:57 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

I was playin' on a stereotype as well. If everyone else can do it, I;m gonna too. :wink:

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

OfflineYossarian22
Stranger
    #8173633 - 03/20/08 08:53 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

The full quote:

The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn't. But she is a typical white person, who, uh, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know there's a reaction that's been been bred into our experiences that don't go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way and that's just the nature of race in our society.

But I guess any serious discussion of racial politics has to come down to "Crazy negroes don't know that racism went extinct in the 70's"

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: Obama: Grandma 'Typical White Person' Fearing Everyone She Doesn't Know [Re: Yossarian22]
    #8173669 - 03/20/08 09:01 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

Yossarian22 said:
The full quote:

The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn't. But she is a typical white person, who, uh, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know there's a reaction that's been been bred into our experiences that don't go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way and that's just the nature of race in our society.

But I guess any serious discussion of racial politics has to come down to "Crazy negroes don't know that racism went extinct in the 70's"

So a "Typical White Person" is "inbred" with a fear of blackmen?????

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineYossarian22
Stranger
    #8173709 - 03/20/08 09:17 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

No, a typical white person, like a typical black or whatever person, harbors to some extent racial stereotypes. I'm sure you won't find a single black person who disagrees with that statement nor is it exactly novel. Racism is not something which you either "have" or don't "have", a racist being a rabid, foaming at the mouth redneck who likes lynching black people; things are more complicated than that. This is why his speech was such a risky gamble for Obama: it requires a certain sophistication and readiness to confront racial divisions and issues, and I'm not sure this country's ready for that. We've repeated the narrative that, sure, things were fucked up back in the "old days" but then MLK and the Civil Rights Movement came, and then all was fixed and racism was forever vanquished. Of course it's bullshit and things are not gonna get better when we repeat this downright dishonest and weaselly lie.

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

Re: Obama: Grandma 'Typical White Person' Fearing Everyone She Doesn't Know [Re: Yossarian22]
    #8173733 - 03/20/08 09:26 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

These guys make that adult conversation that much harder by distorting the facts.

Way to fight the good fight, brother. :thumbup:

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

#8175482 - 03/21/08 11:12 AM (16 years, 10 days ago)

everyone's racist in one way or another.

it's just the fact that it manifested itself in the word choice of a presidential candidate that is controversial.

at least to me..

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #8176109 - 03/21/08 02:20 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

What if McCain were to say "typical black person"? The screaming would be heard in Moscow and Beijing. You can't even say "You people" without some douche getting his knickers in a twist and having his nappy hair straighten right out into a Don King parody.

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: Obama: Grandma 'Typical White Person' Fearing Everyone She Doesn't Know [Re: zappaisgod]
    #8176118 - 03/21/08 02:22 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
What if McCain were to say "typical black person"?

THE WORLD WOULD STOP!

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

#8176358 - 03/21/08 03:30 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

If McCain used it in an intelligent way, during an adult conversation, you guys would defend him just like we defend B-Rock.

If we continually misquoted him for max shock effect, you would post the full quote.

The only thing I wonder is if we would concede the point, unlike you guys. Maybe we wouldn't, but we'll never know unless it happens.

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
    #8176671 - 03/21/08 04:59 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

dill705 said:
If McCain used it in an intelligent way, during an adult conversation, you guys would defend him just like we defend B-Rock.

If we continually misquoted him for max shock effect, you would post the full quote.

The only thing I wonder is if we would concede the point, unlike you guys. Maybe we wouldn't, but we'll never know unless it happens.

yep, I agree w/ zappa that some would criticize him, but that doesn't mean his comment would be any more or less revealing of racist thought than obama's

lets not lower ourselves to the lowest denominator here- I do realize zappa and lonestar are commenting on the sensationalist idiots who get picked up on 24 hour news and newspapers.

But just cuz someone publicizes it doesn't mean its legitimate.

And obviously there is a degree of popular acceptance for intolerance amongst old folks, which I've witnessed

Perhaps this is a confirmation bias, but I tend to think its real, and reflects an older generation not exposed to the newer ways of thinking, and newer proliferation of races, sans those who walk in the street w/ baggy pants, that they don't see in the workplace or school, as they're retired.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order