Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: OldSpice]
    #2983434 - 08/09/04 08:31 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

an old man once tried to swing a club at me but I caught it and flipped him on his back unconscious. Good times.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKreeprCeepr
Dont mistakelack of talentfor genius!

Loc: Oregon
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: Shroomism]
    #2983439 - 08/09/04 08:33 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Tae-Kwon-Do, at best, will teach you how to kick hard and high. At worst, it will teach you all the wrong moves, and detriorate your real fighting. Tae Kwon Do is sport fighting, judged by points. You do not bring Tae Kwon Do into a real fight unless you are really fucking good, and know other martial arts, or you like to get your ass kicked. Same with Karate. Although I can't generalize that because there are many different forms of Karate and some do have merit. And sometimes the Karate guys can stand up in the ring for more than a minute against some of the MMA guys.

I'm sorry to disagree with you, Any martiel art is good, and if your only looking to hurt people, then you wil get hurt. Karate was one of the first Martiel arts taught by the japanese based around Chi, It is EXTREMLY effective, and has been for throusands of years. Tae kwon do, is also efective, but it does focus alot on kicks and lower body movements, and some martial arts disagree with this(but they also disagreed with Bruce Lee). I've studied many forms, and all are equally as effective, it is what you can do with them, and also, how much more you are willing to learn.

--------------------
"My lands are where my dead lie buried" Crazy Horse R.I.P

Native Pride

Edited by KreeprCeepr (08/09/04 08:41 PM)

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: Shroomism]
    #2983454 - 08/09/04 08:38 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
an old man once tried to swing a club at me but I caught it and flipped him on his back unconscious. Good times.

I knew you were a bit to familier sp?;)...

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

OfflinePyRo
Stranger
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #2983997 - 08/09/04 11:30 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I took Shotokan Karate for about 3 years. Shotokan is the old school OG Japanese karate. IMO This is by far the best one out there. It not only teaches you how to fight, but it gives you a whole new way to look at life. It keeps you balanced and respectful.

I was taught the old fashion way- I trained outside at night in underground apartment building parking lots. -This isn't your average corner karate school.- Part of our training was getting hit with a 1" thick bamboo stick in various places, especially the stomach. We also faught barefoot in glass and rocks in the parking lot. You learn to take pain and channel it. It was one of the best things to happen to me though.

Also: I feel so connected to my body and my training when I'm on shrooms...I have complete control and this unstoppable strength. I am never like this normally. I have fought on shrooms before and man it is unbelievable! The other guys had no chance! They couldn't even touch me. Crazy stuff.

Martial arts and shrooms go very good together

OfflineSnape
Eternal Chaos
Male

Loc: Montreal, Quebec
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: PyRo]
    #2984394 - 08/10/04 12:53 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

PyRo said:
I took Shotokan Karate for about 3 years. Shotokan is the old school OG Japanese karate. IMO This is by far the best one out there. It not only teaches you how to fight, but it gives you a whole new way to look at life. It keeps you balanced and respectful.

I was taught the old fashion way- I trained outside at night in underground apartment building parking lots. -This isn't your average corner karate school.- Part of our training was getting hit with a 1" thick bamboo stick in various places, especially the stomach. We also faught barefoot in glass and rocks in the parking lot. You learn to take pain and channel it. It was one of the best things to happen to me though.

Also: I feel so connected to my body and my training when I'm on shrooms...I have complete control and this unstoppable strength. I am never like this normally. I have fought on shrooms before and man it is unbelievable! The other guys had no chance! They couldn't even touch me. Crazy stuff.

Martial arts and shrooms go very good together

I don't know why, but I call BULLSHIT on that one.

--------------------
I'm floating in the sea of stars,
I'm drifting away from the shore
I will be lost in the dream when the dark days come
But I will make the time run backwards and
I'll make the stars shine again

InvisibleSubGen1us

#2984517 - 08/10/04 01:35 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Take BJJ then take some mauy thai later if u want to learn how to really fight.

Karate is for idiots.

I disagree with Shroomism on TKD. It has some very useful kicks and double
strikes that can only be seen in TKD. Watch Bas Rutten fight and u might catch
some. Flying knees are great aginst BJJ. Guess what.. Yup that TKD.

U dont want to do kung fu unless u want to learn 130 different weapons and 6
different fighting styles. If thats not what ur school is offering then its going to be
a lame class.

[Edit] TKD isnt just a sport. It came from korean military in case they got disarmed
or something so they are dangerous even unarmed.

--------------------

Edited by SubGen1us (08/10/04 01:37 AM)

OfflinePyRo
Stranger
    #2984603 - 08/10/04 02:01 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah now rereading it it sounds a little out there to the average person, but every word I have said is true. The shroomery isn't a place for bullshit. By being honest you are respecting the shroomery and what it stands for.

I haven't gone for 6 months now though...I realized that voilence isnt really something I want to be a part of. We aren't supposed to physicly* fuck our selves up just becuase we have different views on the same situation. I got to a point where it was scary to think what I would do to someone if I was angry with them. I can't really explain, but let me tell you that there are some people that take tae kwon doe to look cool and say "I take Karate" but then there are the few that are very proficient and take their training to another level. My master was one of those people.
Peace

Invisiblewilgi
Stranger
Male

#8169685 - 03/19/08 10:44 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

yes, i am one, i teach mixed martial arts, ive been training in jiu jitsu (japanese and brazilian) taekwondo, american boxing, kickboxing, mauy thai, submission grappling and so on, SO ON TO YOU, id say, if you looking for somethings practical, find a cross training school, that will teach you ground and stand up, if you looking for a belt type thing alone, then brazilian jiu jitsu you should check out, if you like the more spiritual side, yoga, i would stick with the practical stuff, you want something actually fulfilling or else usually you'll find a way to put somthing less important off when things in your life get busy, good luck and may you have good health!

--------------------
retired

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: wilgi]
    #8169708 - 03/19/08 10:49 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

Yeah, I remember this thread.

FROM 4 YEARS AGO.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflinePilzeEssen

Loc: USA
    #8169725 - 03/19/08 10:52 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

hahahahahhahahahaha yea, i saw the first post i was like wtf....

anyway, MANTIS KUNG FU FTW!!!!

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

OfflineLegend9123
Male

#8169866 - 03/19/08 11:21 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

wilgi said:
:repost:

--------------------
Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall soon have neither.
-Benjamin Franklin

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
    #8169940 - 03/19/08 11:38 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

Rather than try to give advice on which martial art to choose, I'll give some tips on *how* to choose. In general, any martial art will give you skill enough to defend yourself in most situations where you have a chance.

First, figure out what you're into. How hard do you want to be hit (you'll get hit a lot more than give at first)? Do you want to work on wrestling or grappling? Kicking? Punching? Throwing? Keep in mind that the harder they're hitting the more likely it is that you'll be injured, maybe seriously. I've seen people get serious fractures in light contact only classes. Remember also that one good shot to your knee means your knee is messed up for the rest of your life (that's one example of a place that gets messed up in martial arts). Full contact sounds really cool to some people, but you won't find a lot of people doing that for more that 10 years - it's too hard on the body. Assume that you'll live 100 years, and ask yourself how much abuse you want to allow for your body, remembering that you'll get every bit of that pain back 30 years or so down the road, and you'll have to live with it from then on.

Second, go watch some different classes and see if that's what you want to do. Also, watch to see if you like the style the instructor uses for teaching. If a class won't let you watch then they're BS and you should go elsewhere. Don't accept any nonsense excuses about "secret techniques" or anything like that.

Third, almost any class should let you try a class to see if you like it (1 or 2 free or cheap drop-in classes). Try it and see. Again, if they won't let you try it out, go somewhere else - there are plenty of places that will.

Once you find something that you might like, check into the terms for paying for classes. Since you originally said this would be a school class this one might not apply. But if you want to continue after the term you'll want to check into this. If they want you to sign any sort of long term contract, walk out. They should have no problems with you paying month by month. That doesn't mean that you can't go for a longer term contract. Just be *sure* before you sign on the line. There are lots of places out there who make their money from people who signed up for a long contract then quit. You owe the money whether you're working out or not.

Watch for extra expenses. Uniforms, pads, weapons, and so on can run into some real money.

Finally, don't ever hesitate to ask yourself if you're still having fun. Once it starts not being what you want any more, don't hesitate to quit. On the other hand, expect that you will reach a burnout phase, typically about a year in. You will feel that you're practicing the same stuff over and over and not progressing. If you persevere it will pass.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineOG bub
Strangerthanmost
Male

Loc: midwest US
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #8171228 - 03/20/08 10:37 AM (16 years, 12 days ago)

been practicing various arts for about 15 years. my focus is with ShaoLin LongFist and Chin Na styles. groundfighting was also a big study for me.
Ive practiced:
KungFu (various styles)
TKD/Karate/KSK
boxing
wrestling/Judo
short stick and staff fighting.
and SF unarmed combat.

they all have something good to offer. I think the most important thing is to find a good foundation or platform, to add other supliment styles to, to become more adaptable to various situations.
My platform style lies in KungFu.

Peace, bub.

--------------------
High, I am bub.

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: OG bub]
    #8171251 - 03/20/08 10:42 AM (16 years, 12 days ago)

lol, i was going to give my input - but then realized the thread was ancient, so i'll limit my input to this.

I took Aikido - loved it, it rocks. Takes a while to build skill base for practical situations, but once you do it's clutch.

Invisiblewilgi
Stranger
Male

Re: Any martial artists? [Re: memes]
    #8171652 - 03/20/08 12:08 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

yea i noticed that too, o well, bringin it back

--------------------
retired

OfflinePilzeEssen

Loc: USA
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: memes]
    #8171828 - 03/20/08 12:56 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

meams said:
lol, i was going to give my input - but then realized the thread was ancient, so i'll limit my input to this.

I took Aikido - loved it, it rocks. Takes a while to build skill base for practical situations, but once you do it's clutch.

i did aikido for a while. and quit because i didnt find it to be anywhere near street applicable. there arent any strikes. its so set-up its not even funny. judo/jujitsu over aikido anyday.

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#8172175 - 03/20/08 02:38 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

wilgi said:

Generally frowned upon.

This thread has no relevance to anything anymore.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
    #8172247 - 03/20/08 03:00 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

Aikido- Japanese, has strikes, throws, locks. Practical, but depending on how traditional can be unhealthy.

Brazilian Jui-Jitsu- Wonderful ground fighting, extremely practical. Will definitely come in handy in a fight. Commonly used in UFC. You can learn how to fight with this fast.

Capoeira- Don't know a whole lot. Pretty acrobatic,  don't know about practicality.

Karate- Depends how traditional. Practical, but can be very fake, very easily. Do some research first. You can learn how to fight with this fast.

Kendo- Japanese sword fighting. Teaches coordination and such, but not directly practical.

Okinawan Kobudo Weapons: Bo and Sai-

Russian Martial Arts- Probably Sambo (what Fedor uses), good for big guys especially, very practical. You can learn how to fight with this fast.

Shaolin Kung-Fu- Not a 'real' style of kung fu so much. Shaolin Kung Fu just means multiple styles originating from the shaolin temple. Many say it's not practical, but this martial art depends on the players work effort a large amount. If you just take the classes you won't know how to fight with this, but if you practice on your own time, and have a sparring partner to apply technique to you will.

Tae-Kwon-Do- Can be very fake very often. Do some research. Lots of kicks. You could fight with this fast.

T'ai Chi Ch'uan- There are several family styles of Taijiquan. You should ask the instructor which style he teaches (maybe multiple). Cheng, Yang, Wu, and Sun are all traditional taiji styles, and are practical in fighting. Of course there are purely ascetic styles as well. Taiji is an internal style so it is charcterized by soft movement, but that does not mean it's a weak style.

Wing Chun Kung Fu- A practical style of kung fu. Many similar movements to the style I play (Hung Ga), it's movements are long rather to short. Bruce Lee came from Wing Chun. I would love to train Wing Chun someday. Though practical it could still take time to use in a fight.

What's more important than the martial art style you choose, is your teacher, and the student (YOU  :awesome:)

Make sure your master seems to have a good understanding of the martial art, and how to apply the various techniques (all motions can be applied multiple ways). Don't immediately buy into the amazingness of your master. Ego can build alot of false image, and there are alot of people out there doing it for the money.

*EDIT: Shit, all that writing for nothing. :mad2:

--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

Edited by Acaterpillar (03/20/08 03:01 PM)

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: Any martial artists? [Re: Acaterpillar]
    #8172268 - 03/20/08 03:05 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

:lol:

I'll take it under consideration if my degree ever becomes obsolete and I go back to school.

--------------------

Invisiblewilgi
Stranger
Male

#8172315 - 03/20/08 03:16 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
Quote:

wilgi said:

Generally frowned upon.

This thread has no relevance to anything anymore.

thanks for that, but people seem to enjoy the topic

--------------------
retired

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom