Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Puget Sound
Trusted Identifier
Ganoderma? from Puerto Rico (Ganoderma resinaceum??)
    #8155952 - 03/17/08 01:03 AM (16 years, 16 days ago)

I found this growing from a tree stump in a horse pasture in Puerto Rico.

Side View:

Top View:

Bottom View:
(Small Varnish Areas on Bottom are from twigs that were stuck through the shelf)

It looks to me to be a Ganoderma? The pores on the bottom are still white so I'm guessing the spores are white. The specimen was VERY dry when I picked it since it was picked in a generally dry part of the island. It is fully mature though. It seems to have some green specks of mold or or something growing on the outer bottom edges.

If anyone wants to look at spores under the scope I could swab the pores with a cotton swab. That should collect enough spores to view under a scope atleast.

--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus cinctulus and Panaeolus olivaceus prints.

Edited by BlimeyGrimey (03/19/08 02:03 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Ganoderma? from Puerto Rico [Re: BlimeyGrimey]
    #8155991 - 03/17/08 01:29 AM (16 years, 16 days ago)

Yup, Ganoderma sp. :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Ganoderma? from Puerto Rico [Re: CureCat]
    #8156055 - 03/17/08 02:30 AM (16 years, 16 days ago)

Now the question is , 'What species of Ganoderma are known to inhabit Puerto Rico?'

Any ideas CC?

--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Loc: mexicoelcentrodelconocimi...
Trusted Identifier
    #8156542 - 03/17/08 09:28 AM (16 years, 15 days ago)

yes some ganoderma , but the spores are rusty color or brown more brown really , so this maybe have not dropp spores ganoderma develop in a long time and can grow even at dry conditions for example i found many in nicaragua and fell excited to see pins,
i will see what i can find on ganoderma fron the island but as many tropical areas are not good study .

all my best

i found this maybe you can look more close i have no time
Ganoderma amazonense Weir [1 registro]
Ganoderma amboinense (Lam.) Pat. [3 registros]
Ganoderma applanatum (Pers.) Pat. [2 registros]
Ganoderma argillaceum Murrill [1 registro]
Ganoderma australe (Fr.) Pat. [7 registros]
Ganoderma coffeatum (Berk.) J. Furtado [1 registro]
Ganoderma colossum (Fr.) C.F. Baker [1 registro]
Ganoderma lucidum (Curtis) P. Karst. [4 registros]
Ganoderma parvulum Murrill [1 registro]
Ganoderma perzonatum Murrill [3 registros]
Ganoderma resinaceum Pat. [4 registros]
Ganoderma tuberculosum Murrill [3 registros]
Ganoderma zonatum Murrill [4 registros]
Ganoderma sp. [8 registros]
from here http://www.cybertruffle.org.uk/cgi-bin/alphlist.pl?letter=G&home=puer&location=PR&env=B7BAA0279600279600279600000000&glo=esp&assorg=&assoge=&link=&organism=

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

Edited by cactu (03/17/08 09:34 AM)

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Ganoderma? from Puerto Rico [Re: cactu]
    #8165303 - 03/19/08 02:04 AM (16 years, 14 days ago)

This page makes me think this is possibly a Ganoderma resinaceum.

Ganoderma resinaceum

After looking on the net for an ID on the type of tree it was growing from I suddenly realized something. My cousin was picking lemons from a lemon tree about 10 feet away. The stump that the Ganoderma was growing from had a few small twigs sticking out that were thorny. Long skinny thorns not short thorns like roses or briars.

I'll make the "assumption" that it was growing from a Lemon Tree stump.

--------------------

Edited by BlimeyGrimey (03/19/08 06:51 AM)

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
    #8165962 - 03/19/08 10:27 AM (16 years, 13 days ago)

ganoderma have a real unique smell, atleast the ones around here, and they're extremely juicey, but I think thats generally the same with most polypores. :banana:

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Trusted Identifier
Re: Ganoderma? from Puerto Rico [Re: snoot]
    #8166207 - 03/19/08 11:32 AM (16 years, 13 days ago)

hello i found hard to believe that it was found in a lemon tree stump , but if you said so you are the men , in direct seight , but here i have never seem ganoderma atack this type of tree, also they need big trunk , or log and lemon tend to be small log ,
but all the ganoderma i post above where found in puerto rico for example

Ganoderma resinaceum Pat.

Criterios de selección. País: Puerto Rico. Organismo asociado: cualquier (mapa de distribución)

Número de registros. 4. Información de fechas. 1996 (Jun, Nov). Localidades. Isabela, Juana Díaz, Mayagüez, Río Grande. Organismos asociados. Cocos nucifera (tronco); Plantae indet. (madera). Colecciones. O UPPR, sin número.

as you see was found in the localities: Isabella , juana diaz , mayaguez, Rio grande growing in cocos nucifera trunk . mean coconut tree ,

so something can help if you are not sure of the tree is the region or locality , it was on grass or atachh to the trunk or to the buried root in grass some grw from buried root on grass .

maybe you are right about the id. any ways i only complaing about the lemon tree

http://www.mycobank.org/MycoTaxo.aspx?Link=T&Rec=241944#TOP
hey i found this thank to make me look , ja ja
Ganoderma parvulum Murrill 1902
Herbarium number: NY
Collected by: Smith,1891

all my best .

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8166523 - 03/19/08 01:05 PM (16 years, 13 days ago)

yea usually I find all my reishi blooming from hemlock.

--------------------

- Simone de Beauvoir -

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #8168116 - 03/19/08 05:36 PM (16 years, 13 days ago)

Well the stem was growing from the dirt less than 1/2 inch from the base of the stump. The stump was only about 4-5 inches in diameter. If anyone knows what kinda of trees in Puerto Rico have sharp skinny thorns on their branches, i'd greatly appreciate the extra knowledge. I was making an assumption that it could have been a lemon tree stump. I'm not sure, however, of the exact type of tree it was. Mostly because all i could see was a stump, there were however small twigs all around the stump which had the thorns on them.

Here's a list of trees I know was in the area at the time.
Lemon Trees
Quenepa Trees (Mamoncillo)
Acerola Trees (West Indian Cherry)
Plantain Trees (Type of green banana)
2 different trees which had thorns on the branches (One had thorns on the branches other had thorns near the leaves only)
(Palm Trees were abundant all over PR but none were in the vicinity of the Ganoderma)

Cactu, i find this interesting in your post:

"Ganoderma sp. [8 registros] "

8 unknown finds of Ganoderma species. I also found a tiny bright orange shelf fungi that looks like a tiny reishi while in El Yunque. It quickly dried to a very light tan color with no hint of red-orange left.

I'm hoping the big Gano in the pics isn't too dry/dead to attempt a grow. I'll be cutting out some of the pore surface to try a few petri's once i get a new PC to sterlize my plates.

--------------------

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #8168158 - 03/19/08 05:41 PM (16 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Ganoderma resinaceum

I believe that the macroscopic features of those are nearly identical to G. lucidum.

Not sure which species you have there.

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Trusted Identifier
Re: Ganoderma? from Puerto Rico [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #8168385 - 03/19/08 06:19 PM (16 years, 13 days ago)

many acacia have thorns on the branches and had thorns near the leaves only

i have found something very close to ganoderma lucidum with that shiny look and redish cap , in nicaragua growing from Acacia pennatula ,also in Acacia cornigera this plant are leguminosae . and the seed are eat by the cows, also have ants living in the thorns

i guees what you found was in an acacia tree. only few plant can have those characteristic thorns, and ganoderma loves to grow on those in tropical areas.
i still learning about ganodermas from nicaragua maybe i can relate about your find.

all my best vibrations.

--------------------

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #8170544 - 03/20/08 06:20 AM (16 years, 13 days ago)

I googled some pics of acacia trees and I do believe the tree was an acacia species.

I took a photo of the area where it was picked but the photos haven't been developed yet. Once I get them I'll post the picture (hopefully it came out ok).

Does anyone have a copy of the Ganoderma monograph by Murrill?

--------------------

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8171202 - 03/20/08 10:33 AM (16 years, 12 days ago)

You found this fruiting from a thorn tree? Where are you located? If there were any living specimans around, you should be able to ID the tree by its seed pods especially if its an acacia like you say. I used to always confused certain acacia for jade tree's, which actually isn't a tree at all but more of a shrub, crassula ovata. Cheers mate.

--------------------

- Simone de Beauvoir -

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Trusted Identifier
    #8172550 - 03/20/08 04:23 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

if it is indeep an acacia tree is a good chance to be ganoderma lucidun in his many varieties or subspecific taxons for the long stem that is more characteristic in the lucidum complex that others ganoderma.

Taxos subespecíficos
Ganoderma lucidum forma alneum Bourdot & Galzin
Ganoderma lucidum forma annulatum Torrend
Ganoderma lucidum forma boninense Pat.
Ganoderma lucidum forma hemisphaericum Torrend
Ganoderma lucidum forma lucidum
Ganoderma lucidum forma martellii (Bres.) Bourdot & Galzin
Ganoderma lucidum forma naiae Chona & Munjal
Ganoderma lucidum forma noukahivensis Pat.
Ganoderma lucidum forma rubellum Torrend
Ganoderma lucidum subsp. lucidum
Ganoderma lucidum subsp. resinaceum (Boud.) Bourdot & Galzin
Ganoderma lucidum subsp. valesiacum (Boud.) Bourdot & Galzin
Ganoderma lucidum var. badium Pat.
Ganoderma lucidum var. lucidum
Ganoderma lucidum var. nicotianae (Inglis) Sacc. & Traverso
Ganoderma lucidum var. orbiformis
Ganoderma lucidum var. resinaceum Maire
Ganoderma lucidum var. resinosum Pat.
Ganoderma lucidum var. typicum Maire
Ganoderma lucidum var. valesiacum Lloyd

all my best

--------------------

OfflineLaineRB
Garden Heir
 User Gallery

Loc: New Mexico
    #8172726 - 03/20/08 05:09 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

How many Ganoderma are in Central America anyway? It sounds very diverse and unique I would love to try them if possible. This far north in Alaska we only have G.Oregonense and G.Applanatum.

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #8173650 - 03/20/08 08:57 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

snoot said:
You found this fruiting from a thorn tree? Where are you located? If there were any living specimans around, you should be able to ID the tree by its seed pods especially if its an acacia like you say. I used to always confused certain acacia for jade tree's, which actually isn't a tree at all but more of a shrub, crassula ovata. Cheers mate.

I live in Washington , however, I found this while I was visiting Puerto Rico. It was found a few miles away from Guanica. There were atleast 30 dark purple round growths growing from dead logs, stumps and the ground. They were completely dry and when broken open they resembled wood because it had rings. This was the only mature one I saw.

Isn't purple reishi very rare? I hope this is some form of purple reishi, but the bottom of the conk had some yellow-orange areas on it. You can see it in the pic of the pore surface.

--------------------

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Trusted Identifier
Re: Ganoderma? from Puerto Rico [Re: LaineRB]
    #8179755 - 03/22/08 01:03 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

LaineRB said:
How many Ganoderma are in Central America anyway? It sounds very diverse and unique I would love to try them if possible. This far north in Alaska we only have G.Oregonense and G.Applanatum.

it depends what taxonomist are you quoting but here is a reference:
The Ganoderma lucidum complex in tropical America has been studied based on an examination of available types for all laccate Ganoderma species described from tropical America and 13 species are currently accepted. A preliminary key to and descriptions of these species are provided in an attempt to help to sort out the confused taxonomic situation which has prevailed in the genus. Ganoderma concinnum Ryvarden, G. longistipitatum Ryvarden and G. multicornum Ryvarden are described as new. The new combination Ganoderma orbiformum (Fr.) Ryvarden is proposed.http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0027-5514%28200001%2F02%2992%3A1<180%3ASINP2A>2.0.CO%3B2-2&size=LARGE&origin=JSTOR-enlargePage
http://orton.catie.ac.cr/cgi-bin/wxis.exe/?IsisScript=OET.xis&method=post&formato=2&cantidad=1&expresion=mfn=020897

In the American tropics, many specimens of laccate Ganoderma have been deposited in herbarium collections as G. lucidum since there were no adequate descriptions or keys to laccate species from this region. A preliminary key to species from tropical America (Ryvarden 2000) recognises 13 species including 3 new species and a new combination; G. lucidum is not recognised from the neotropics.

In southern South America, Gottlieb et al. (1998) and Gottlieb & Wright (1999a) treated G. lucidum sens. lat. as synonymous with Ganoderma subg. Ganoderma. Using isoenzyme analyses and morphology, especially of the spores and cutis, they differentiated and provided a key to nine species from this region, including G. lucidum var. lucidum.
In summarising the current status of taxonomy in the genus Ganoderma, it is clear that considerable research is needed to elucidate a stable classification that accounts for inferred phylogeny along with results of mating studies, and biochemical, cultural, and morphological features. The confusing nomenclature caused in part by description of many narrowly defined species will hopefully be clarified by further molecular analyses based on these taxa.

Commercially, most interest currently lies with members of the G. lucidum complex. Because it now appears that G. lucidum sens. str. does not occur in most parts of Asia and because several different species of Ganoderma are commercially cultivated under the guise of ‘G. lucidum’, interpretation of some previous studies in Asia is limited by uncertainty over the species used. The collective Ganoderma medicinal and neutriceutical industry would likely benefit from supporting taxonomic studies to understand and characterise those species of commercial importance.

Although taxonomic names for some species of Ganoderma remain uncertain, this does not restrict reference in publications to the best currently available name for the material used.

all my best

--------------------

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #8180464 - 03/22/08 05:02 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

Thanks cactu!! You are amazing!

--------------------

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #8181244 - 03/22/08 08:34 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

I emailed someone who photographs polypores to see what his opinion would be.

Here is his response.
I believe that to be Ganoderma Tsugae.
I found a different kind of Ganoderma while I was there but not Tsugae.
It typically has an eccentric stalk. They seem to be fairly common in
places other than home. I have found them in other places in the
Sub-Tropics and the Caribbean. The fresh ones are really cool.
I suppose you found some other mushrooms too although you were there
in the dry season. We found some Oyster Mushrooms while there and had
the cook make them up for breakfast. He and the waiter were kinda
shocked we were going to eat them, but after we did, they ate them too.
If you liked Puerto Rico, you're gonna flip over Costa Rica!

He also sent me a picture of one he photographed in Costa Rica. It looks very similar to what I found, except his is a growing specimen while mine was an old dried one.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck