Home | Community | Message Board

North Spore
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Paul Stamets, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Outdoor Woodlover Beds. The How To Guide With Pictures
    #8167907 - 03/19/08 07:02 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

First off you must pick a suitable species for your area and you must have some knowledge about mushroom cultivation before you get started. I am using stropharia rugoso-annulata since it is a wood lover. This tech will also work quite well for other wood loving species.

A few items that will be needed besides your basic mushroom cultivation equipment are:
1. Suitable hardwood wood chips including Douglas Fir. Do not waste your time trying to get alder unless its free relatively cheap. Alder is not necessarily the Best. The reason why most manuals recommend it is that the manuals are written in the pnw where Alder is considered a Weed Tree, it is extremely plentiful.

2. Some sort of soil conditioner. I use Kellogg's Grow-mulch.
This is used for many reasons. It gives the plants something to utilize for growth, it helps with drainage for the wood chips, it acts as a barrier to allow the mycelium to get a foothold before any existing mycelium in the dirt gets in and contaminates your beds with an unwanted species.

Since I know that you already have the basics down you will need to obtain some grain spawn.

Here we have a good sized bag of wbs fully colonized with SRA. This bag contains enough spawn to a bed that is 20'X20'

Now pick an area that you want to construct the bed.
The area that I have picked out had mushrooms growing in it last season so I had to remove the existing colonized wood chips.

Next I cover the area with the soil conditioner. Make sure that the bag of soil is not contaminated with any type of mycelium. You do not want any competition against the species that you are growing.

Now apply your grain spawn. I usually go from a light to medium coverage. There does not have to be 100% coverage. The mycelium will grow and fill in the empty spots.

Next add your wood chips. I use Scott's Nature Scape's. This stuff works great. I use no more than 2 inches for the initial cover. Once fully colonized you can add another layer. The more chips, the more mushrooms. Just make sure that you stop adding chips by mid summer. The mycelium needs to establish itself.

Now water your patch 2-3 times a week during warm weather and every day during extremely hot weather.
The mycelium will not completely come to the surface until fall. With any luck you will have more fruits than you can handle come mid/late fall.

This is an area I made last week. There is a solid mycelium mat just an inch under the surface.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

Teh=The

I need to proofread

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

Loc: Elsewhere.
Re: Outdoor Woodlover Beds. The How To Guide With Pictures [Re: tahoe]
    #8168071 - 03/19/08 07:28 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I'm gonna assume this works for azures? I want azures REALLY bad. Also, since I don't believe in introducing foreign species into random places, could one grow some in a raised garden, or even a planter box?

--------------------
"If I had a single wish, I would have every single human on this planet see this natural world the way I see it; the beauty in such simple things such as a fallen tree that is covered in moss and that has new trees growing from it. To some, fallen trees are ugly. But in reality, it is the circle of life at its finest. This is a beautiful world, its time that we recognize that before its all gone."

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Outdoor Woodlover Beds. The How To Guide With Pictures [Re: misos]
    #8168096 - 03/19/08 07:32 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i do not think they will grow in hell.
sure you can do raised beds but since you do believe in introducing foreign species I would not recomend that you try to grow any non native mushrooms. You have no control over the spores

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

Teh=The

I need to proofread

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

Loc: Elsewhere.
    #8168138 - 03/19/08 07:39 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah... Could you perhaps grow them semi succesfuly inside? I'm in the PNW... BTW...... Although, azures grow on the coast of Oregon, the state I occupy. ? I just don't think stuff like the himalayan blackberry and the nutrea and crap like that sahould be introduced. Species that are completely foreign. I don't know, what do you think?. I guess if it's native to the state you live in it would be ok.? And yes, I occupy the ENTIRE STATE OF OREGON ALL THE TIME.

--------------------
"If I had a single wish, I would have every single human on this planet see this natural world the way I see it; the beauty in such simple things such as a fallen tree that is covered in moss and that has new trees growing from it. To some, fallen trees are ugly. But in reality, it is the circle of life at its finest. This is a beautiful world, its time that we recognize that before its all gone."

Edited by misos (03/19/08 07:44 PM)

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Loc: Gondwana
Re: Outdoor Woodlover Beds. The How To Guide With Pictures [Re: misos]
    #8168509 - 03/19/08 08:46 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I live in a relatively dry climate. Would it be a good idea to pre-hydrate by soaking, or boiling, the NatureScape's wood chips that I use for the bed, or is that not necessary? Also, is it a better idea to have the bed in full shade, partial sunlight, or what? Do you have any other suggestions as to the best place to put your bed?

--------------------

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

Re: Outdoor Woodlover Beds. The How To Guide With Pictures [Re: thedefone]
    #8168551 - 03/19/08 08:59 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

colonized 10 inch straw log + post hole digger with 10 inch auger= Mushroom bed

:jester:

--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Outdoor Woodlover Beds. The How To Guide With Pictures [Re: Peterthinks]
    #8168946 - 03/19/08 10:21 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

shade is best. The bed in the pics is facing east. It will have morning sun. Come winter the sun barely hits any of my beds but in the summer time they get direct sunlight and 110+ degree heat. The mycelium does just fine.

I do not boil or presoak the wood chips. They will suck up the moisture as you water them.
The only time that i do boil the chips is when they are used for indoor projects. They always contam indoors unless boiled.
I have had bags of chips with spots of blue/green mold and the mold goes away once out of the bag and placed outside. Molds like growing indoors, they do not do so well outside.

--------------------

Teh=The

I need to proofread

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #8171217 - 03/20/08 12:35 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

here are some pics from the various beds that I made last year.

--------------------

Teh=The

I need to proofread

Offlineflushme
Shroomery OG
Male User Gallery

Loc: Kazakhstan
    #8171450 - 03/20/08 01:28 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

sweet:borat: bookmarked

what species is that?

--------------------
TRUST IN THE FLUSH

Take Salvia Cuttings Successfully

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #8171454 - 03/20/08 01:29 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

another option for those of you who live in a questionable area is to colonize a 1/2 tub of wood chips and fruit the tub instead of making a bed.

All that you have to do is place this outside in the tub in the early fall and water it a few times a week to simulate rain.
Remember to drill a bunch of holes in the bottom to allow for drainage and help with the co2 build up.

--------------------

Teh=The

I need to proofread

Offlineflushme
Shroomery OG
Male User Gallery

Re: Outdoor Woodlover Beds. The How To Guide With Pictures [Re: tahoe] * 1
    #8171478 - 03/20/08 01:33 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

thats the same recipe as above just smaller?

--------------------
TRUST IN THE FLUSH

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Outdoor Woodlover Beds. The How To Guide With Pictures [Re: flushme]
    #8171503 - 03/20/08 01:37 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

recipe? It's the same chips with probably 9 cups of spawn.

These chips have been boiled since they are colonizing indoors. The seed:wood chips ratio is higher also since it is indoors for now. I want the chips to colonize as quickly as possible so they do not contam.
You can see that the wood chips are resilient to contams. No need to worry too much about cntams.

IN the second pic you can see the mycelium has found its way into the center of the wood chips. I just cracked it open.

--------------------

Teh=The

I need to proofread

Offlineflushme
Shroomery OG
Male User Gallery

#8171515 - 03/20/08 01:40 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i tryed on cardboard and it contamed

--------------------
TRUST IN THE FLUSH

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #8171547 - 03/20/08 01:44 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

cardboard is useless. I hate it, it doesnt hold enough moisture, it contams, it doesnt have enough nutrients.
It has no use in outdoor beds.
it needs to be removed from stamets books.

--------------------

Teh=The

I need to proofread

Offlineflushme
Shroomery OG
Male User Gallery

#8171570 - 03/20/08 01:48 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

ill say that

--------------------
TRUST IN THE FLUSH

Invisiblelegallyhomeless
mooch
 User Gallery

Loc: EZRA for the Refuge
    #8171609 - 03/20/08 02:00 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Nice tahoe. Great pics! :thumbup: I would love to do an outdoor bed... maybe next year.

--------------------
MY TRADE LIST!!!

FULLY AUTOMATIC!! 12-Pot Multi Grow Hydroponic System for Trade.

Download PSX ISOs

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Outdoor Woodlover Beds. The How To Guide With Pictures [Re: legallyhomeless]
    #8171633 - 03/20/08 02:06 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

notice how the mycelium is fully colonizing the wood chips here. During the fall the mycelium will come completely come up through the wood chips. It will die off in the spring and take shelter from the heat.

--------------------

Teh=The

I need to proofread

Offlinesmily
lookin 4 my ass wit both handz
 User Gallery

Loc: Lee HO FooKs
    #8178417 - 03/22/08 02:40 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

wow real nice Tahoe

yea the beds i made outside are just becoming a Mat.

my only concerns are the winds in my area. got one local with lots natrual moss and its taking off.  got some grasses im planting and a nice fern.

nice post boy i cant wait for fall.......       

:smile:

--------------------

CrAnKy PiLlOwS YeAh PiLlOwS

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Outdoor Woodlover Beds. The How To Guide With Pictures [Re: smily]
    #8198037 - 03/26/08 08:32 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

winds are bad news. I would throw some grass seed in there in the fall and let it grow

--------------------

Teh=The

I need to proofread

Offlinewyattb
fellowshroomer
Male User Gallery

Loc: forest
Re: Outdoor Wood lover Beds. The How To Guide With Pictures [Re: tahoe]
    #8198209 - 03/26/08 09:12 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

WOW tahoe thats a nice one you planted that in early spring right,those fruits are perfect. I'm looking foreword to seeing how my patches turn out. do you know if you can plant patches in the early fall? i don't have any gardening space so all my patches are in the  forest and other places were i can work with out being seen but i got 4 tub of wood lover though that i can move. keep up the good work man do you plan on turning all Frisco in to one big mycelium mat i hope so.:grin:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Paul Stamets, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation