Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFamiliar Gnome
Bemushroomed
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shpongleland
Question regarding Spawn/Casing run & light sensitivity?
    #8150410 - 03/15/08 05:32 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I am wondering about the mycelium's sensitivity to light. I know that it takes a very brief exposure to light in order to stimulate the phototropic response and initate pinning.

I would like to be able to inspect my substrate during the spawn run and casing run, just to ensure the lack of contamination; but I don't want to prematurely initate pinning. I have a Petzel Tikka headlamp with a red filter for night-time map-reading (Specs: wavelength 670nm, output 3000mcd, on lowest out-put setting).

Will that wavelength avoid or initiate primordia formation?

--------------------
================
An Oddly Familiar Gnome
Shpongleland

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Question regarding Spawn/Casing run & light sensitivity? (moved) [Re: Familiar Gnome]
    #8152740 - 03/16/08 09:38 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

This thread was moved from Advanced Mycology.

Reason:
That crap about a few milliseconds of light to induce pinning is flat out wrong. The fact is, cubensis will 'pin' with no light at times, if the substrate is fully colonized and the survival instinct says, "make spores before you die". There is absolutely NO reason to keep your colonizing jars in the dark. During spawn and casing run, a few brief looks won't hurt too much, bur remember that looking drops the CO2 level, and that's a major pinning trigger.

I'll move this over to basic cultivation. It's off topic in advanced mycology.
RR

Offlinedstark
Manifesting Minds
Male User Gallery

Re: Question regarding Spawn/Casing run & light sensitivity? (moved) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8152843 - 03/16/08 10:42 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Myc needs not alot of light and not strong1, I'm using special fluorescent that i bought when i was growing some weed, its not strong but gives mucho light :laugh:

--------------------
What is a mind, if not something to be messed with? What is consciousness, if not a state to be altered?

~I Feel
:mushroom2:
at Home~

OfflineFamiliar Gnome
Bemushroomed
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shpongleland
Re: Question regarding Spawn/Casing run & light sensitivity? (moved) [Re: dstark]
    #8165685 - 03/19/08 08:32 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

RR: Thanks for the info.

I'm not trying to avoid pinning per se, just trying to prevent it from happening until i've cased at least. I had a batch that started pinning before I had a chance to case, without having reduced CO2 levels; I think the only trigger could have been the built-in light in my terrarium... it was only on for a few seconds at most. I'm sure that this un-cased first flush did indeed adversely effect my yield.

dstark: Thanks also; but that wasn't really my question. Lack of light isn't my issue.

--------------------
================
An Oddly Familiar Gnome
Shpongleland

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate