Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinekloK
ShRoOmEr!ShRoOmIn

Loc: La La Land
Found yellow mushrooma with white spots on it
    #808896 - 08/10/02 11:26 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

it has a white stem white gills and the caps is yellow with white dots all over it
can this get me high? it was growing on the ground in the woods near pine and evergreens

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Found yellow mushrooma with white spots on it [Re: kloK]
    #808965 - 08/10/02 12:45 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

From what you describe, this is most likely a species of Amanita.
There are many different species and variations of Amanitas, and a lot of them are deadly toxic. A few are edible and said to produce a somewhat trip-like experience when dried and ingested, but I personally don't think it comes anywhere close to P. cubensis.

Basically, from your description it is impossible to safely say what species of Amanita that mushroom could be, and therefore it is way to dangerous to eat. Check out the Shroomery's Amanita page if you want.

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Edited by RebelSteve33 (08/10/02 12:45 PM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #809181 - 08/10/02 02:32 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Good shot, RebelSteve, you're picking this up.

Assuming that you've found an Amanita, to get an accurate ID we need a very detailed description of the base of the stem and the volva (cup of tissue around the base) or a photo (is worth a thousand words). We also need to know about the ring on the stem (if there is one).

Unfortunately, Amanita includes some of the most dangerous mushrooms in the world, judging by the number of fatalities they cause. While there are families of mushrooms where experimentation is likely only to make you vomit and have diarrhea, Amanita carries much higher risks.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinemirrorsaw
journeyman
    #810099 - 08/11/02 02:58 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I would guess Amanita citrina or Amanita gemmata perhaps.

Look them up in a field guide and check the description.

Anonymous

Re: Found yellow mushrooma with white spots on it [Re: mirrorsaw]
    #811062 - 08/11/02 01:22 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

dude everyday i come here and this kid has picked a different mushroom and asked if it can get him high kids theses days jeez

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Found yellow mushrooma with white spots on it [Re: ]
    #811592 - 08/11/02 06:17 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Glad to see that I'm not the only one thats sick of it...

Anonymous

Re: Found yellow mushrooma with white spots on it [Re: Gumby]
    #812046 - 08/12/02 03:18 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

yep it seems like he comes here everyday with somthing different from his yard just hoping it will get you high. even i wasnt that annoying when i was a kid.

OfflinekloK
ShRoOmEr!ShRoOmIn

#812966 - 08/12/02 11:50 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

lol i found it by the creek not by in my yard and yes i want a cheap high... jyust dont wanna get poisoned

Anonymous

#813082 - 08/12/02 12:50 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

where are ya from maybe i could send ya in the right way

OfflinekloK
ShRoOmEr!ShRoOmIn

#813169 - 08/12/02 01:52 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

from ontario by toronto

Anonymous

#814929 - 08/13/02 10:53 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

i assume your still young so go hangout with the older kids that are into this kinda stuff theres always the smart stoners who know what too look for

Offlinemirrorsaw
journeyman
    #814982 - 08/13/02 11:27 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

smart stoners?

OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
    #815676 - 08/13/02 04:41 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

This sounds like amanita var. formosa, it should make a white spore print, the fact that it was near pines also suggests that its an aminita. The climate where you are is also perfect for amanitas, so id say that your fairly safenote: you need a pic before you can definately tell what it is: [the poisneous varieties to which most deaths are attributed to are bright white, or light brown so they look like normal edible mushrooms], well at least until you can get a photo. check out www.erowid.org and look up amanitas, it has some good pics, btw, ive read that you MUST cook amanitas [the reds and yellow ones] to change the acid withing them, but i aslo hear that ppl eat dried ones, and i was wondering if cooking is necessary? i just cut them up and chucked them in a cup with boiling water, strained, and drank the yellow water that was the result. Didnt taste too bad, goes well with tea.

Edited by Feelers (08/13/02 04:45 PM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Found yellow mushrooma with white spots on it [Re: Feelers]
    #815728 - 08/13/02 05:07 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Please note that some of the yellowish capped Amanitas are very dangerous to eat. Last night Dr. Jack States told me about a case about 4 years ago where a group of people decided they'd try getting high on one of the local Amanitas down in Arizona. 5 of them ended up in the hospital. One of them was in a coma for two days, and the doctors didn't know for the first day if she would survive. The mushroom was identified (Dr. States was the consulting mycologist) as a possible cross between Amanita pantherina and Amanita gemmata. He also admits that it may be a new species.

In any event, if you cannot get a positive ID of an Amanita to species, don't eat it. There are Amanitas other than the ones containing amatoxins and phallotoxins which can kill you or make you extremely ill. Amanita is one of the very worst mushroom genera to experiment in.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinemirrorsaw
journeyman
Re: Found yellow mushrooma with white spots on it [Re: Feelers]
    #816543 - 08/14/02 01:33 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

This sounds like amanita var. formosa

perhaps, that has an orange/yellow cap colour yes?

Offlinemirrorsaw
journeyman
Re: Found yellow mushrooma with white spots on it [Re: ToxicMan]
    #816548 - 08/14/02 01:37 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

One of them was in a coma for two days, and the doctors didn't know for the first day if she would survive.

I would be interested to know the approx. dosage taken?

he mushroom was identified (Dr. States was the consulting mycologist) as a possible cross between Amanita pantherina and Amanita gemmata. He also admits that it may be a new species.

I read somewhere that in a broad sense fly agaric has at least 50 known sub-species!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #816661 - 08/14/02 03:49 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I didn't ask Dr. States if they knew what the dosage was. It's very possible that we don't know.

There may be many varieties of Amanita muscaria (I know of 4). Currently Dr. Tulloss is the guy who's working on the genus. I don't know if he's more of a lumper or splitter. I guess when he publishes his monograph we'll find out. Probably molecular biology will get some of the input as well.

I may as well add that I know also of a poisoning here in Colorado about 4 years ago by Amanita muscaria which very nearly resulted in this state's first ever mushroom fatality. A man in his twenties ate Amanita muscaria var muscaria and became very ill. He called 911 and an ambulance was sent. When the ambulance arrived, the victim was in cardiac arrest. Fortunately, they were able to revive him and he recovered. I don't recall how many he ate offhand.

I guess my point is that Amanitas are dangerous, and those who are eating them are literally risking their lives. Eating these mushrooms has caused fatalities from the poisons present.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinemirrorsaw
journeyman
    #816796 - 08/14/02 05:08 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I guess my point is that Amanitas are dangerous, and those who are eating them are literally risking their lives. Eating these mushrooms has caused fatalities from the poisons present.

It's hard to know how dangerous without knowing the dosage that caused those life threatening hospitalizations. They would seem to be exceptional and rare.

With the psychoactive Amanita species one thing people should be told is that if you are looking for a "recreational" drug then you should forget it.

I don't believe there is great risk to health in the carefull use of those species as entheogens, although there reliability even for that purpose is questioned.

People have reportededly died from eating psilocybin mushrooms too.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #816952 - 08/14/02 06:36 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

It's hard to know how dangerous without knowing the dosage that caused those life threatening hospitalizations. They would seem to be exceptional and rare.

I agree that we don't have a good feel for how dangerous they are. As far as how rare, we don't have any good numbers on how many people try them or what their dosages are.

With the psychoactive Amanita species one thing people should be told is that if you are looking for a "recreational" drug then you should forget it.

I agree 100%. I think there are too many guides around that make it easy to think they are an available, legal substitute for the psilocybin mushrooms or various other recreational drugs.

I don't believe there is great risk to health in the carefull use of those species as entheogens, although there reliability even for that purpose is questioned.

I overall agree, although the possibility of dying should significantly raise the risk level in most people's minds, in my view. The key word there, of course, is "careful". Probably the largest factor involved is the age of the person eating the mushrooms. People at the ages most likely to take recreational drugs are more likely to take risks in general.

People have reportededly died from eating psilocybin mushrooms too.

This is true, although the only fully confirmed case I am aware of was the individual in France who ate more than 60 Psilocybe semilanceata. Obviously, anybody who massively overdoses anything is risking a great deal (which, I think, is your point). The other cases I am aware of involve small children, and the offending mushroom was not positively confirmed. Certainly small children are always at great risk when ingesting potentially poisonous substances.

It is even worth mentioning that there were fatalities within the last year due to drinking too much water and eating too much table salt. Anything is poisonous if you get too much.

I feel that overall we basically agree, it just doesn't sound like it sometimes. Thank you for a reasoned discussion.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinemirrorsaw
journeyman
    #817230 - 08/14/02 08:52 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

There was no real argument coming from me about what you said, it's good that if you know of cases where people have almost died that you inform and warn other people about it.

Obviously, anybody who massively overdoses anything is risking a great deal (which, I think, is your point).

Yes, that was my point. If the people you are talking about had only consumed a few grams dry, then the consequences of that moderate dose makes Amanita appear far more risky than if they had eaten twenty caps each. This is why I asked you about it.

This is true, although the only fully confirmed case I am aware of was the individual in France who ate more than 60 Psilocybe semilanceata. Obviously, anybody who massively overdoses anything is risking a great deal

60 Psilocybe semilanceata can not really be considered an overdose tho, and his death is an anomaly.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates