Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegrandmastaj
???
perlite instead of vermiculite?
    #813423 - 08/12/02 05:04 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

hey everyone. im just about to start my first crop, but i cant fucking find any vermiculite at any of the stores near me (i have to ride a bike as i do not yet have a car). however, i was able to find a bag of perlite at the hardware store and i was wondering if i coudl use that in the place of the vermiculite. i was planning on using the pf tek procedure stuff, so should i just put in teh same amount of perlite as there should be vermiculite? if i cant use the perlite, is there something else i coudl use instead? i saw they had like peat moss and ironite and about 50 kinds of potting soil there and some other stuff. also, its, unfortunately, not and option for me to wait for a new shipment of vermiculite to get in or whatever, as i owe some certain people some certain things, and im going to be in a bit of trouble if i dont get this started asap. oh yeah, and if it makes a difference im gonna be using the pf variety of mushroom. so yea if anyone coudl help me out id appreciate it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetps
ganja ghanstah
 User Gallery

Re: perlite instead of vermiculite? [Re: grandmastaj]
    #813429 - 08/12/02 05:06 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I believe i asked the same question a while ago, and all my responses were no. I had the same problem, but i found an ACE hardware in the middle of town, and they had a couple of bags in the back. Just bike around to like a small town, and check out a hardware store. seek and you shall find.

Or, grab a phone book. Call a whole bunch of hardware stores, and get yer parents to drive you over there, thats what i did when i was like 15 and i grew pot. I was like 'uh, i need a hammer' HEH

--------------------

Edited by tps (08/12/02 05:08 PM)

Offlinegrandmastaj
???
Re: perlite instead of vermiculite? [Re: tps]
    #813453 - 08/12/02 05:16 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

yea the ace hardware is where i got the perlite... ive been going there for about a month and they keep saying theyll get some in but they dont seem to be doing so... theres really no where else within biking distance i can go.... what if i used like little pieces of styrofome? or liek those little white ball things they have sometimes in potting soil to help the roots or something?

OfflineMechanicalMan
Stranger

#813466 - 08/12/02 05:21 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

You could order some, but I?m assuming you don?t want to do that.
You could call ahead and try to find a store that has some and then take a cab or a bus or something if you are able to do that. Other than that, I really don?t know what to tell you. There was a thread recently about verm alternatives, but I don?t think too much came of it.

OfflinePsychomanium
ultimo
Re: perlite instead of vermiculite? [Re: MechanicalMan]
    #813498 - 08/12/02 05:34 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

perlite wouldn't be very good to use as a solid base for the pf tek. it would soak up all the water leaving the mycelium with nothing to use. although, something that i think may work pretty well is finely, but not too finely shredded woodchips. it wouldn't soak up too much water and would provide the myc with a firm base.

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

#813577 - 08/12/02 06:08 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

If you cant find the right materials for the PF tek try another beginning tek. Use Finch Seed to make your cake. Try this:
In a large pot put 2 cups of finch seed and enough water to cover the seed.simmer finch seed, keep adding water until the seed have nearly doubled in size. Next drain any excess water and put the seed in a large bowl. Mix in 1/2 cup of BRF. then fill your jars a little over half way but dont pack them. Then put the lids on the same way as with the PF tek with the holes and everything and pressure cook for 45 minutes. Let cool, and innoculate. There, an easy tek with no vermiculite. bluhoney

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: perlite instead of vermiculite? [Re: bluhoney]
    #813719 - 08/12/02 07:17 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

take the bus!!

bluhoney has a good recipe....but i remember back in the day when i couldn't get anything except long grain brown rice. so i said fuck it and used cooked brown rice. but if you owe people stuff, don't use plain brown rice because it's too easy to screw up.

i just cooked some brown rice, threw it into some sterile cups VERY LIGHTLY....you want this brown rice fluffy and unpacked...just let it fall from the spoon into the cups/jars. it'll work, but try to get some verm at all costs. after you pack the jars, quickly put some foil over them, and boil them (like you would sterilize jars without a pressure cooker) for half an hour. and innoculate through the foil, then cover with another piece of foil. easy

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

InvisibleDarkmoon
Thinker

#813823 - 08/12/02 08:22 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

yea i would go with blu-honey on this one, finch seed shouldn't be too hard to find. as long as u have access to a pressure cooker witch you will definatly need for that! good luck

Offlinegrandmastaj
???
Re: perlite instead of vermiculite? [Re: Darkmoon]
    #814675 - 08/13/02 09:03 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

hm, well i dont have acess to a pressure cooker... woudl just boiling it work fairly wel?

OfflineBandit
Cultivator
    #815242 - 08/13/02 01:38 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I dont know if ordering something off the net is an option for you but i got my verm from gardenshoponline.com

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag