Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Firefox SSL: "Unauthenticated Content"
    #8133252 - 03/11/08 06:52 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

Once I got my shiny new supporter account I ran to my settings and configured my account to use the secure login. For a couple days my address bar stayed golden and the lock stayed shut.

Then, suddenly, I noticed that on any page load the address bar flashes from golden to normal white and the lock now has a slash through it. Clicking the lock confirms that unauthenticated content is being transmitted.

I tried logging out and back in. I tried clearing the cache, cookies, etc. I tried a different operating system.

I tried Internet Explorer and it seems to maintain the secure connection. IE did note that non-secure items were available and I denied their being viewed and noticed nothing different about the site.

I have pointed Firefox at other SSL enabled sites and the secure connection is maintained throughout site browsing.

The problem seems to be with Firefox using my user account at the Shroomery.

Any ideas?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OnlineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
Re: Firefox SSL: "Unauthenticated Content" [Re: debianlinux]
    #8133472 - 03/11/08 07:26 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

Usually this is due to offsite images embedded in posts with non-SSL URLs. Can you get a secure connection to the forum index, or the main site? Does it still happen if you disable offsite images? If you double-click on the lock icon in the address bar and click the 'Media' tab, are there any non-SSL links listed? You could also try going to Options | Advanced | View Certificates | Authorities and double-check that you have a listing for IPS Internet publishing Services s.l. What has me kind of stumped though is that it was working, and then it stopped randomly. Our cert hasn't expired and our server config hasn't changed... I'll think about it some more and see what I can come up with.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Firefox SSL: "Unauthenticated Content" [Re: Ythan]
    #8133539 - 03/11/08 07:38 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

The issue occurs regardless of the page, including the index. I had already verified the certificate and it matches your description.

There are no non-https:// entries in the media log.

I haven't tried disabling offsite images. If that works I'll let you know, otherwise the problem still stands.

My browser configuration hasn't changed, either.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8133546 - 03/11/08 07:39 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

Blocked all offsite content. No dice.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #8135538 - 03/12/08 03:50 AM (16 years, 10 days ago)

Try to logout and log back into the shroomery. Whenever I have SSL problems, that seems to fix it (along with clearing cookies). If you still have problems, can you check with another browser and let us know? Oh, and also make sure that your local computer time is close to correct (especially the year).

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Firefox SSL: "Unauthenticated Content" [Re: Seuss]
    #8136584 - 03/12/08 11:59 AM (16 years, 10 days ago)

Seuss:
I had tried all those steps but went ahead and did it again.

I logged out and closed the browser (which clears cookies on closing). I re-opened my browser and proceeded to login. The problem persists.

I am able to maintain a secure connection using IE6 although I do respond to a warning that the page contains secure and non-secure elements by instructing the browser to not load the non-secure elements although there isn't anything that seems to be missing afterwards.

One thing I'd like to be clear on is what behavior is expected at login.
I go to http://shroomery.org/forums/login.php
I click the "Use Secure Login Link"
I provide my login credentials on this screen which will have a steady golden address bar indicating secured connection. Then I receive a popup dialog again requesting my username and password. As long as the dialogs is up the address bar remains golden. As soon as I enter the login credentials I am logged in and sent to my home page but the address bar goes white and the lock indicates non-secure elements are being transmitted.
Should I expect to be providing credentials twice? I do not experience this behavior on any other SSL enabled sites.

FWIW, using the same browser on another machine, I cannot duplicate this result. May be a machine specific problem. Would still like to know what broke, tho, because it worked for a few days no prob.

Another interesting observation: FunGuyFan's computer sits next to mine and shares our internet connection behind a NAT router. When I went to test the login on her computer I noticed that her currently logged in Shroomery session was using a secure connection indicated by a steady golden address bar and https:// in that field (she's not a supporter, yet). I loaded a few pages to confirm that it kept the secure connection.
With all accounts logged out and a freshly opened browser on her machine my account will maintain the secure connection. With all accounts logged out and a freshly opened browser on my machine my account will not maintain the secure connection. I was unable to duplicate getting her logged in account to assume a secure connection after logging her back in and banging around the forum index while doing the same with my account.

I hope some of the above information presents a glimmer of a solution to the problem I am having. As it is I think I may upgrade Firefox to 3.0b4 and see if maybe it is my install of Firefox that is borked.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8136612 - 03/12/08 12:03 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

I frequently use firefox SSL for work and business purposes. When I created this thread I was only experiencing this issue with the Shroomery site and not on other sites.

I now intermittently receive this same issue on other SSL enabled sites. As such, I do not believe there is anything on the site operator's end that could be done to rectify the trouble.

It may be prudent to move this thread to Science and Tech as this issue should bear no reflection on the Shroomery's operation.

OfflineLegend9123
Male

#8137747 - 03/12/08 04:46 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

Might need to reset your firefox profile. Close all instances of firefox and go to start, run, and type in "firefox.exe -ProfileManager". Create a new profile and try using it to log in and see if that helps.

--------------------
Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall soon have neither.
-Benjamin Franklin

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Firefox SSL: "Unauthenticated Content" [Re: Legend9123]
    #8138094 - 03/12/08 05:53 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

Well, that worked. I guess I'll go back to my settings one by one and see if one of them breaks it again.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale