Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMazatec Magic
RevolutionaryLeader
Female

Loc: Illinois
To Filter, Or Not To Filter?
    #8129704 - 03/10/08 10:09 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

The title of the post speaks for itself. Should a filter be used or is it an option? Several posts and articles that describe using a nail or drill to puncture holes in the lid of a jar (assuming this is the PF tek), backed with a filter underneath, to allow air flow and gas exchange with limited contamination risk.

But..!

There are also methods which do not bother with a hole or need for a filter. They just pressure cook the jars with foil under the lid (as they would with the filter and puntured cap) and inoculate through the foil and then replace the cap.. that has no holes for air exchange. And yet they grow and colonize with a cap tightly on during the entire incubation time. Is this like dunking in the way that it is not absolutely necessary for mature mushrooms, but would have an overall effect on the outcome/fruit?

Hhmmm....

Thanks for the help!

--------------------
And if I'm wasting my time... Then nothin' could be better!.. Than hanging on the line.. Waiting for an honest word Forever..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMana
Substance ofSouls

Loc: Where Everything Good Is ...
Re: To Filter, Or Not To Filter? [Re: Mazatec Magic]
    #8129905 - 03/10/08 11:10 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

If your doing the PF tek I believe you use a dry layer of vermiculite as a filter. And you make holes in the lid to inoculate through. If you don't punch holes in the lid (maybe because you want to open the lid in a glovebox to inoculate) then you should probably leave the lid slightly loose when your sterilizing the jars.

--------------------
Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens.

How to become immortal: Read this signature tomorrow and follow its advice.

OfflineMazatec Magic
RevolutionaryLeader
Female

Loc: Illinois
Re: To Filter, Or Not To Filter? [Re: Mana]
    #8131226 - 03/11/08 10:37 AM (16 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

Mana said:
If your doing the PF tek I believe you use a dry layer of vermiculite as a filter. And you make holes in the lid to inoculate through. If you don't punch holes in the lid (maybe because you want to open the lid in a glovebox to inoculate) then you should probably leave the lid slightly loose when your sterilizing the jars.

Well, the Pf tek does use a dry layer of verm on the top. But it describes putting foil on the completed jar, then putting the metal or plastic lid on, then pressure cooking. Once cooled, you can remove the jar lid and inoculate through the foil. Then replace the cap & incubate. No holes in the lid.

I guess my question is - what is the diference, if any??? Should a newbie filter? Good or bad idea?

--------------------
And if I'm wasting my time... Then nothin' could be better!.. Than hanging on the line.. Waiting for an honest word Forever..

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies