Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineusr
Interested.
Male

Loc: United States
I've got a serious contamination problem...
    #8107263 - 03/05/08 05:49 PM (16 years, 17 days ago)

...and for the life of me, I dont know why.

Obviously is boils down to the fact that Im doing something wrong, but Im driving myself nuts trying to figure it out.

My first grow ever, around 6 months ago, I inoculated 24 half-pint jars and got multiple flushes from 20 of those.

Second attempt, I inoculated 20 jars and all but around 6 contaminated during colonization. I owned up to this one, as I felt I was a bit sloppy with my sterilization procedures.

Third, and most recent, attempt. I lost all 20 half-pint jars. I inoculated these jars around 3 weeks ago and I was seeing a good bit of mycelium growth. The thing is, these jars all show contamination later and later. As in when I checked after a week, around five had mold. Another few days, a few more, another few days, a few more, etc.

I used the exact same procedures as I did the very first time I ever attempted a grow, in the same location. It has to be something Im doing during inoculation, I guess. I cook all jars for even longer than required, just to be sure. I flamed the needle between each jar, use lysol between every few jars, wiped everything down with alcohol before ever starting, and during, shooting up the jars.

I know Im not doing something right, but what? Why did this procedure work the first time with 20 jars, and the time Im extra careful, I lose all my jars?

Confusing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

Re: I've got a serious contamination problem... [Re: usr]
    #8107302 - 03/05/08 05:56 PM (16 years, 17 days ago)

i dunno man i've been having a really tough time lately.. every grain jar is falling to cobweb..

could be your syringe or whatever you're using to inoc..

OfflineJusListen
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: HERE
    #8107312 - 03/05/08 05:57 PM (16 years, 17 days ago)

did you clean out wherever you incubate?

I had this same prob one time,
but, once I cleaned the TiT, I seen thats what the prob was.

I'd suggest cleaning most everything, not just the jars,
clean wherever you incubate, and also your FC, every grow.

just my 2 cents.

Offlineusr
Interested.
Male

Re: I've got a serious contamination problem... [Re: JusListen]
    #8107788 - 03/05/08 07:34 PM (16 years, 17 days ago)

I actually didn't clean the incubation tubs this last time...

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
    #8108716 - 03/05/08 10:00 PM (16 years, 17 days ago)

In the future, ALWAYS, AND I DO MEAN ALWAYS, have a "control jar" If you have 20 jars prepped, only inoculate 19 and have the extra jar labeled "control". I've been preaching this for a while now. Do this with casing material too. In my opinion, it is invaluable. If a couple of jars go bad, and the "control jar" is contaminant free, then it eliminates half the possibilities of where you went wrong. Example. You had 20 jars go bad.... If your control jar was contaminant free, you could make a case for a bad syringe. Get my drift? I'm sorry for your loss, and I hope that you follow the advice above on your next grow.

The Shroomy 1

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

Offlineusr
Interested.
Male

Re: I've got a serious contamination problem... [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #8110004 - 03/06/08 07:17 AM (16 years, 16 days ago)

Makes sense.

I'm not sure why it never crossed my mind. Maybe I was too confident in my first grow and got sloppy.

Going to try again this weekend. I'll sanitize and clean absolutely everything I possibly can.

I appreciate all the input!

Invisiblelarge_dose
Melonhead
 User Gallery

Loc: Right in the Middle
Trusted Cultivator
    #8111713 - 03/06/08 03:53 PM (16 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Maybe I was too confident in my first grow and got sloppy.

We all have a failure, after a success...
for the exact reason stated above.

Quote:

Going to try again this weekend

Try working in the back of a trashbag, or in a closet with the air full of oust. The more you can keep the air from moving around, the better.

Offlinefiasco
Altered
Male

Loc: sc/nyc
Re: I've got a serious contamination problem... [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #8114436 - 03/07/08 12:56 AM (16 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

The shroomy 1 said:
In the future, ALWAYS, AND I DO MEAN ALWAYS, have a "control jar"  If you have 20 jars prepped, only inoculate 19 and have the extra jar labeled "control".  I've been preaching this for a while now.  Do this with casing material too.  In my opinion, it is invaluable.  If a couple of jars go bad, and the "control jar" is contaminant free, then it eliminates half the possibilities of where you went wrong.  Example.  You had 20 jars go bad.... If your control jar was contaminant free, you could make a case for a bad syringe.  Get my drift?  I'm sorry for your loss, and I hope that you follow the advice above on your next grow.

The Shroomy 1

good idea:thumbup:

--------------------

Fiasco's Magic Quesdilla
///All posts are merely the result of a delusional mind.\\\

Offlineusr
Interested.
Male

Re: I've got a serious contamination problem... [Re: fiasco]
    #8124705 - 03/09/08 07:26 PM (16 years, 13 days ago)

So as I type this, I have around 20 contaminated jars in the PC. I plan on leaving them in there for a good hour and a half, letting them cool overnight, then emptying the contents tomorrow and tossing them in the dishwasher before preparing them and tossing them in the PC tomorrow.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom