Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Which psychedelic progenitor had the greatest affect on you?
    #8123632 - 03/09/08 03:13 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

And why?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSophistic Radiance
Free sVs!
Female

Loc: Center of the Universe
Re: Which psychedelic progenitor had the greatest affect on you? [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #8123642 - 03/09/08 03:17 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

Albert Hofmann, because he's 103 fer chrissake.

Also Terence McKenna. He wraps some of his ideas in a wacky brand of tripper mysticism, but all he's trying to do is illustrate his underlying points about art and culture. It's very interesting to really think about his weird, but sensible statements.

--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Which psychedelic progenitor had the greatest affect on you? [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #8123711 - 03/09/08 03:36 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

For me it would have to be 'The Moody Blues' rock band. Their ethereal melodies and deep lyrics got me wondering what they were going on about.

And Joni Mitchell's 'Woodstock' really captured my imagination and longing to be part of a cultural paradigm shift.

But it was Castaneda that really set the hook with his whopper tales of alternate realities. :fishing:

McKenna rekindled my interest after a log time away.

And mad props to the founder(s) and members of 'The Shroomery' for keeping the whole wacky thing alive. :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Which psychedelic progenitor had the greatest affect on you? [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #8124631 - 03/09/08 07:12 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

But it was Castaneda that really set the hook with his whopper tales of alternate realities.

He hooked my attention as well. Castaneda and The Moody Blues with a little Pink Floyd on the side.

A special note on Castaneda. I read them all as a teen and a young man, but by age 33 I had hit a very low point in my life. Alcoholism and cynicism had taken their toll. I reread Journey to Ixtlan at my lowest point and I was inspired to take my life by the reins and regain control. Every year since then that investment has tripled...except for this last year where it was returned 1000 fold. I feel like I owe a lot to that man whether he was a liar or not.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#8124700 - 03/09/08 07:26 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

Aldous Huxley- because he was so ahead of his time that his desciption of his experience was totally raw and honest and not at all trite or derivative.

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #8124709 - 03/09/08 07:27 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

my bad, didn't read the thread title well

none of them, really. i don't care much for the 'psychedelic' writers out there and prefer to go by my own experiences

although, alan watts does have some interesting ideas

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Edited by demius (03/10/08 09:48 AM)

InvisibleEternalCowabunga
Being of Great Significance
Male User Gallery

Loc: Time and Space
Re: Which psychedelic progenitor had the greatest affect on you? [Re: demiu5]
    #8126180 - 03/10/08 02:01 AM (16 years, 22 days ago)

aint no drug like jesus what what :psychsplit:

--------------------

Offlinebackfromthedead
Activated

Re: Which psychedelic progenitor had the greatest affect on you? [Re: EternalCowabunga]
    #8126784 - 03/10/08 09:17 AM (16 years, 21 days ago)

Mr. Azurescen.:mushroom2:
Who without notice brought the christ into my living room.

--------------------

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: Which psychedelic progenitor had the greatest affect on you? [Re: backfromthedead]
    #8126848 - 03/10/08 09:47 AM (16 years, 21 days ago)

Without a doubt, for me, Ram Dass has had the largest impact on my personal trip of any of the well-known psychedelic 'personalities' out there.

The first psychedelic literature I read was Huxley's Doors of Perception and that really hooked me.  McKenna was also a big influence because his accounts affirmed my hopes that there are truly strange, otherworldly experiences to be had just around the corner of ordinary waking consciousness. :mushroom2:

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #8131358 - 03/11/08 11:12 AM (16 years, 20 days ago)

Alfred E Neuman.

He prepared all those young minds for the psychedelic experience.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
Re: Which psychedelic progenitor had the greatest affect on you? [Re: Icelander]
    #8131680 - 03/11/08 12:33 PM (16 years, 20 days ago)

Myself... I dont want to sound selfish, but I learned much insight on my own. Which later I find out that many other fellow pyschonaughts, such as mckenna and Leary shared many of the same ideas.

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

OfflineBoots
Disenchanted
Male

Loc: Northwood, Ohio, U.S.A.
Re: Which psychedelic progenitor had the greatest affect on you? [Re: danlennon3]
    #8131735 - 03/11/08 12:45 PM (16 years, 20 days ago)

He's not considered a psychedelic progenitor but Martin Torgoff wrote a very good book about drugs in America. I can't remember the title but it rekindled my interest in drugs, particularly psychedelics.

Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

Loc: aotearoa Flag
Re: Which psychedelic progenitor had the greatest affect on you? [Re: Boots]
    #8131755 - 03/11/08 12:53 PM (16 years, 20 days ago)

Aldous Huxley, Door of perception. Brilliant, i read it after my second trip on mescaline, and was like "oh my, i felt so similar, and experienced pretty much the same thing.."

--------------------
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce

Offline2end4
Fuckin Immortal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Aristonda
Re: Which psychedelic progenitor had the greatest affect on you? [Re: flangenips]
    #8131762 - 03/11/08 12:56 PM (16 years, 20 days ago)

Justin Timberlake:egyptian:

Invisibledeimya
tofu and monocle
 User Gallery

Loc: ausländer.ch
Re: Which psychedelic progenitor had the greatest affect on you? [Re: 2end4]
    #8131921 - 03/11/08 01:38 PM (16 years, 20 days ago)

For me it would be Lewis Carroll as he polluted my young and naive mind with stories of madness and hallucinations. It is him who sparked my interest into going down the rabbit hole.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #8132264 - 03/11/08 02:55 PM (16 years, 20 days ago)

A Time-Life book entitled The Mind, one of a series of science books, had a chapter on drugs (which was later edited from that book!). It introduced me to LSD, Maria Sabina, mushrooms, Gordon Wasson, Havelock Ellis, mescaline, hashish and hypnosis! That was in 1965-66 and it primed my curiosity.

After the cannabis products I began to use New Years Eve 1968-69, a session on Sandoz Psilocybin, and a couple of Heavenly Blue Morning Glory seed trips by 1971, I was ready for Windowpane LSD in July 1972, following which I began to read Casteneda's second book, A Separate Reality, followed by the first and all the others. I was ripe for the Florida 'shrooms which I tried in Long Island NY while in college. Magick gave rise to an interest in mysticism following a few more acid trips and Zen supplanted magickal experimentation, which yielded to Yoga after a college chum handed me a copy of BE HERE NOW during a psychedelic struggle I was in. After that, Ram Dass became the person who influenced me to pursue psychotherapy as well as Yoga. I based my dissertaion on an insight I gleaned from Ram Dass' first book The Only Dance There Is, and so he would have to be the most influential.

Of personal meetings, let me not forget Jean Houston (The Varieties of Psychedelic Experience), who had kind things to say and write about me during a workshop with her. I met Tim Leary twice, Walter Houston Clark, and I had a brief mail correspondence with Albert Hofmann - all of whom have been influential in my development. Of writers, there have been many but Alan Watts and Aldous Huxley are the most prominent in my mind.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
    #8132493 - 03/11/08 03:50 PM (16 years, 20 days ago)

hmmm, mushrooms basically opened me up to a new realm. And ever since then I've tried to explain this.

I wouldn't credit JUST him even though he is credited with writing the Daodejing, Lao Tzu would have to be the greatest progenitor for me into this realm.

Alan Watts just confirmed/reminded my thoughts after the fact and made better sense of how to explain "this"

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

InvisibleSophistic Radiance
Free sVs!
Female

Loc: Center of the Universe
Re: Which psychedelic progenitor had the greatest affect on you? [Re: Cracka_X]
    #8132587 - 03/11/08 04:19 PM (16 years, 20 days ago)

Tao Te Ching (Daodejing? What a confusing language) on acid is simply stunning. :yesnod:

--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.

Edited by Tchan909 (03/11/08 04:20 PM)

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Which psychedelic progenitor had the greatest affect on you? [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #8132623 - 03/11/08 04:24 PM (16 years, 20 days ago)

How do you keep the letters from scurrying off the page? :confused:

--------------------

InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
    #8132694 - 03/11/08 04:34 PM (16 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Tchan909 said:
Tao Te Ching (Daodejing? What a confusing language) on acid is simply stunning. :yesnod:

Tao Te Ching, Tao Teh Ching, Daodejing...

tomaytoe tomahtoe.  I used to type Tao teh ching but like daodejing as I it's like typing one word.

depending on what you read will the author use a certain translation.  Chinese can be translated/interpreted several ways.  So if you want to grasp that writing slightly more then it's good to read several different interpretations.  :smile:

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract