Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Air Pump, Aquarium Heater

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Onlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Chopper Challenge

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
too damn hot in tucson, AZ
    #811443 - 08/11/02 07:07 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

so heres the deal..... my house rarly gets under 85 degrees (thats with all possible AC going) sucks dont it? Anyway, i need a drop in temp to get these suckers to grow right? i read somethin about cold shocking in the fridge, but i am not sure exactly how to do this... can someone please help out a new grower? and also, once i shock them, do they need a colder temp to grow..... or will my usual 85 degree hell hole work ok? thanx guys.......

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

Re: too damn hot in tucson, AZ [Re: wrestler_az]
    #811459 - 08/11/02 07:15 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

just put them in the coolest place in your house. it probably gets cooler at night right? then get an incubator and an aquarium heater with a thermostat on it. put the incubator in the coolest part of your house. 85? is good, but at night when it gets cooler, the heater will kick in and keep the temperature constant.

now when you get to the fruiting stage, you are going to have to get a cooler(maybe a cheap styrofoam one?) or something simialar and keep it in the coolest part of your house.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Onlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy

Re: too damn hot in tucson, AZ [Re: felix]
    #811489 - 08/11/02 07:27 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

thanx felix.... however the coldest part of my house is un the middle of my living room, not a good place for illegal mischief..... i am growing them on rice cakes, 1/2 pint jars, pf tek......so on so on...... anyway, my jars are doing pretty good, about half colonized..... my question is that when it comes time to take them out of the jars, and into my styrofoam coolerwhat do i do? do you know anything about cold shocking? does it work? how do you do it? do i need to shock them? or could i cool down the enviroment with ice or something along those lines?

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

#811523 - 08/11/02 07:41 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

you know what? my a/c broke once and i had the same problem. don't cold shock them...actually, it probably wouldn't hurt, but i don't think it's neccesary with cakes. when i had my problem, i had this 'refreezable' plastic container that was filled with some kind of gel. they are meant to be used in coolers so you don't have to use so much ice. do you know the things i'm talking about? well, it may be a hastle, but freeze a couple of these and set them in your cooler....just one at a time. it would be nice to get a little thermometer with a nice gauge so you can check the temperatures at a glance. it will take some care....but it will work. it's what i did....just change out the frozen thing once or twice a day.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Onlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy

#811541 - 08/11/02 07:48 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

thanx.... i do know what you are talking about and i was actually thinking along those same lines...... one more question though..... not that it will be an issue, but just for general knowlege, is there a temp that can actually be too cold and kill the mycelium?

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

#811559 - 08/11/02 07:59 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

definitely, but you don't have to worry about it. i don't know the thermal deaths for mycelium, but just don't put them in the freezer.

if your fruiting chamber is big you may have to use an ice thing at each end of the chamber.

--------------------

OfflineMadDhAdDeR420
enthusiast
Loc: Arizona
    #811564 - 08/11/02 08:01 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

cold shocking isn't for the begginers that were the problems come around but i'f you want to do that you might as well dunk them to i live in chandler az so its just as hot here as there my mom like to keep the temp at 80 though. but 80 is ok for growing temps. the humidity in your terrerium will cool the terrerium down but if you ned it colder i saw these air pump things at wall mart that pumps out cold air pick one of them up i think you can control the temp on them to there lik 10-20bucks i saw to of them look in the ac department. Just run that into some water in a cup in the terrerium it everything will be ok.

mycelium i think can freeze but it won't do anything it won't pin or spread or anything it will just sit there. like in the winter if you have outside setups underground in the winter they don't do anything but in the spring they will become active again. i think its somewere aroun 50 degrees were mushrooms become inactive but i could be wrong look it up .

--------------------
Live life to the fullest.

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

Re: too damn hot in tucson, AZ [Re: MadDhAdDeR420]
    #811589 - 08/11/02 08:14 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

whoa..! are you talking about little portable a/c's? not really air conditioners, but something alike? if they're that cheap, i have to go get one.

--------------------

Onlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy

#811591 - 08/11/02 08:16 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

ya, i never heard of anything like that...... you said wal mart? ill have to check it out..... thanx

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Offlinefunwithgus
Loc: Philadelphia area
    #811754 - 08/11/02 10:30 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

That sucks. I lived in Tuscon for a year and it was the same in my apartment during the summer. I first tried to grow there but my agar and grain dried out from the heat and 10%-30% humidity. You need cooling and humidification there.

--------------------
Say, can I have some of your purple berries?
Yes, I've been eating them, for six or seven weeks now, haven't got sick once.

OfflineCaliChronic
Loc: Gulf Coast, USA
    #812253 - 08/12/02 08:35 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

check out the thai or texan strains, they seem to do well for me and i live in a very hot climate. just make sure they dont dry out from the heat, keep the humidity up.

--------------------
overgrow

InvisibleSoFarNorth
Hindu BuddistInitiate
Loc: Far away from here
    #812269 - 08/12/02 08:41 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Since you're in arizona, could you make a small version of a swamp cooler? Might be a double hit as it would lower the temp and increase the humidity as well. Just a thought...

--------------------
"Those that would sacrifice essential liberties for some temporary safety deserve neither."
Ben Franklin

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Air Pump, Aquarium Heater

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation