Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineDiscordja
Pope

Loc: Atlantic Canada
Canadian Law
    #811289 - 08/11/02 06:03 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Can anyone direct me to some relaible and up to date info on Canadian law with regards to mushrooms? I mean, besides the official Guv docs that I don't have half a chance in Hades of understanding. I know there are some wacky loopholes, but I can't seperate fact from rumor without some confirmation.

--------------------
Remember, it's only true if it makes you laugh...

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineTrip_Out_7
PaRTy aNiMaL

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Canadian Law [Re: Discordja]
    #811300 - 08/11/02 06:08 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Basically, you're allowed to grow mushies, but you can't dry them out because it would be for illegal purposes (obviously lol)

--------------------

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

Re: Canadian Law [Re: Trip_Out_7]
    #811339 - 08/11/02 06:26 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Obviously That was my biggest question. Gotta love that wacky War on (Some) Drugs. How about Peyote? I know its illegal in the States, but a few of its Mescaline bearing cousins are perfectly legal. Are American lawmakers totally arbitrary or just stupid?

--------------------

OfflineTrip_Out_7
PaRTy aNiMaL

#811355 - 08/11/02 06:32 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

ummm I think most things are just stupid, including the government. They gotta get rid of Harris. As well the states laws suck too

--------------------

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

#811359 - 08/11/02 06:34 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

"90% of everything is crap. Except crap. 100% of crap is crap."
- Too Much Coffee Man

--------------------

OfflineTrip_Out_7
PaRTy aNiMaL

#811369 - 08/11/02 06:38 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

lol that's funny

--------------------

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

#811375 - 08/11/02 06:41 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Thenk yew, thenk yew very much. Not original, but I'll take whatever laughs I can get.

--------------------

OfflinePoolShark
Mushroom Farmer

#811415 - 08/11/02 06:57 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

*Shits his pants* You can legaly grow shrooms here! Man I love living in Canada

--------------------
PoolShark

Remember, Every thing I say or write is not based on facts or reality

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #811861 - 08/12/02 12:26 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Hey Trip out 7 and Pool Sharkm. Apparently you did n't u read about the big Calgary Shroom growing bust., Dudes, they are illegal as hell in Canada. Where did you get that info that you could grow them?.

Here read it and then watch the bust of the shroom grower in the video on this very page.

http://www.cfcnplus.ca/servlet/RTGAMArticleHTMLTemplate/A/20020424/mushroom?brand=generic&hub=&tf=CFCNPlus/generic/hubs/frontpage.html&cf=CFCNPlus/generic/hubs/frontpage.cfg&slug=mushroom&date=20020424&archive=CFCNPlus&ad_page_name=&nav=home&subnav=fullstory

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (08/12/02 12:29 AM)

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

Re: Canadian Law [Re: mjshroomer]
    #811999 - 08/12/02 04:00 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, I heard about that. According to the article, the dude was charged with "cultivation and possession for the purpose of trafficking." Sounds pretty specific. It could be a small quantity of fresh shrooms is legal, while a large quantity thats obviously going to be resold is criminal. Blah. This is my problem. I need facts, not my own idle speculations.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #812007 - 08/12/02 04:11 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The fact is is that they are illegal to posses fresh or dried. I already talked to the Calgary Police Department and to the News Channell reporters on the video.

The police were definitley less recepotive to my inquiry than the news channel was.

but the fact remains intact. They are illegal in Canda. Mjshroomer. You should be able to look up the drug laws, I mean we can get the Dea scheduling for US on the internet so I am sure that your laws are also ont he internet.

Mj

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #812012 - 08/12/02 04:21 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

PSilocine and psilocybine are schedule three drugs in Canada along with peyote, harmaline, mescaline,amphetamine, etc.

Here is the Canadian Subsantce Abuse Act.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-38.8/34097.html#rid-34146

mj. You can find out alol about the illegal substances in your country.

mj

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #812018 - 08/12/02 04:37 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Hi again, I just mailed tot he Justice Department in Canada the following letter.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Sirs:

or To whom it may concern.

I am the author of ten books, one medical poster and more than two dozen published papers on the subect of psychoactive mushrooms belonging to the genera Psilocybe and other families, of which there are, worldwide, more than 186 known recognized species.

I also have a very large mushroom web-site.

My question is this.

I have recently been plagued with many questions from Canadian citizens regarding the legality of Psilocybine mushrooms in Canada.

I notice that your scheduling in the "Controlled Drugs and Substance Act" act lists the chemical substances psilocine and psilocybine as a schedule three drugs.

However, I can find no laws regarding the legal status of the vegetable organic mushrooms which contain these substances.

Since the chemical substances are listed, that would mean a pure chemical compound, yet the substances in the mushrooms are of an organic nature and not a chemical substance.

Can you help me in this quiry,

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

P.s., In the British Isles as well as Florida in the United States, Judges have ruled that Mushrooms are mushrooms and that psilocine and psilocybine are Chemicals. And thus the possession of fresh mushrooms are not considered illegal under their laws. But dried mushrooms are and they are losted as manufacture of a drug.

Best Regards,

John W. Allen

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

mj,

Now one quick question, I know you read the article, did you also watch the accompaning video. There is a box on the page for the video of the bust.

mj

P.s. If they answer me I will post their response if and when it comes in my email.

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

#812092 - 08/12/02 06:38 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Most excellent! Thanks for the niftay help. I tried to watch the video, but it just freezes up on me.

I checked out the Controlled Substances Act a few weeks back, but it didn't fill me in on the specifics I wanted (namely, the dried/fresh question).

--------------------

Edited by Discordja (08/12/02 06:41 AM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #812104 - 08/12/02 06:47 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well the web administraot just emailed me the following message:

You should contact Health Canada at 1-800-267-1245 or visit their
website at
www.hc-sc.gc.ca

Web administrator
Justice Canada

Hah! They just passed the buck.

So I mailed the same email tot he Minister of Health in Canada,
the Honourable Anne McLellan. And thus I await her reply.

mj

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #812108 - 08/12/02 06:49 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Wow that was fast. Must be an instant reply mode or something. Here is the first reply. I will also attempt to call the 1-800 number and see what I can find out.

Here was the reply I just received:

Dear John W. Allen,

Your message, addressed to the Honourable Minister of Health Anne
McLellan, has been
received and will be brought to the Minister's attention.
Thank you for taking the time to write.

Ministerial Correspondence Unit

mjshroomer

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

#812213 - 08/12/02 08:01 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

All I could find on the Health Canada site was some scant info from an Alberta Drug Pamphlet from 95. Psilocybin (and psilocin) fall under the Food and Drug Act rather than the Controlled Substances Act (but, so the hell what?). Again, its listed as psilocybin, though it recognizes 'magic mushrooms' as another term for the same thing.

"In Canada this drug is governed by the Food and Drugs Act. It is a restricted drug. Upon summary conviction for possession, first offence penalty is a fine of up to $1,000 and/or up to six months' imprisonment; for subsequent offences $2,000 and/or one year, upon conviction by indictment $5,000 and/or three years. Trafficking and possession for the purpose of trafficking are punishable upon summary conviction by up to 18 months' imprisonment and upon conviction by indictment up to 10 years."

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hppb/alcohol-otherdrugs/pube/straight/hallucinogens.htm#Psilocybin

Nothing on the dried/fresh question...

--------------------

Anonymous

#812237 - 08/12/02 08:21 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Edited by 905 (08/12/02 08:25 AM)

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

Re: Canadian Law [Re: ]
    #812244 - 08/12/02 08:27 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Neeto. Whats more, according to this article, the law has "acknowledged that possession of a small amount of dried mushroom would probably not be prosecuted in Canada."

'Probably' isn't very stringent legal-speak, but its beter than nothing.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #812380 - 08/12/02 09:45 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

This one says iullegal.

Tape 3025: LSD (acid) and Other Hallucinogens
(Magic Mushrooms, Peyote, itc.)
The term "hallucinogen" refers to a drug that alters a person's perceptions of reality. A hallucination is a false perception something a person believes is real, but isn't. An example is when someone hears voices when no one is speaking, or sees things that really aren't there.

Hallucinogens are either found naturally or made synthetically. Mescaline, for example, can be extracted from the peyote cactus or manufactured synthetically. Psilocybin can be chemically produced or extracted from certain mushrooms. Natural hallucinogens can be found in the seeds of some varieties of morning glory, jimson weed and nutmeg.

There are many illegal hallucinogens with names like LSD, or "acid," MDA, PCP and STP, to name a few. These chemicals are manufactured illegally for street use.

Other drugs such as amphetamines, cocaine, cannabis and alcohol can also cause hallucinations at very high dosages but are not usually regarded as hallucinogens.

The effects of the drugs depend on the amount taken, a user's past history, and the way in which the drug is taken. A person's mood, or whether they have mixed other drugs, can greatly influence the effects. So can variations in the quality and purity of the drugs.

The common effects of hallucinogens include a sense of time passing slowly,\feelings of unreality, feelings of separation of the mind and

"self" from the body, an inability to concentrate, vivid and unusual visual patterns and sounds, plus feelings of excitement and tension.

The user may find these effects pleasant on some occasions, and experience a sense of well-being or adventure. But at other times, the same effects may make the user feel disturbed, threatened or terrified.

An overdose of certain hallucinogens such as PCP can be fatal. However, most deaths involving hallucinogens are the result of accidents or violence that takes place while the user is under the influence of the drug.

People who use hallucinogens too frequently develop tolerance very quickly, meaning they fail to respond even to very large doses. Therefore, the great majority of users take these drugs only from time to time, and use of hallucinogens rarely leads to psychological dependence. Hallucinogens do not seem to cause physical dependence. Yet chronic use may cause memory difficulties and changes in personality.

The use of some hallucinogens may result in periodic "flashbacks" when a person relives the effects of the drug without actually taking it. These flashbacks may occur over many years and cause intense anxiety or depression.

The most serious problems caused by hallucinogens are acute panic attacks and the triggering of serious mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia or severe depression in those who are prone to these problems.

LSD used by pregnant women appears to be associated with spontaneous abortion, and may be linked to a higher rate of birth defects.

Sometimes chemical impurities in synthetic hallucinogens can cause serious health problems. For example, an impurity in the drug known as MDMA, or Ecstasy, can cause a form of brain damage that results in permanent injury to muscle control.

In Canada, the use of psilocybin, LSD, MDMA, PCP and STP is restricted for research purposes only. Use of these drugs for any other purpose is illegal in Canada.

This is a transcript of a CAMH Information Line telephone message.

For more information,
call 1-800-463-6273
(in Toronto call 595-6111)
or write: Information Center,
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health,
33 Russell St., Toronto,
Ont. M5S 2S1

mj

OfflineTrip_Out_7
PaRTy aNiMaL

#813666 - 08/12/02 08:42 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Hey, that's a very interesting read you have there....

I was told by my brother that it was legal to cultivate it, but you can't have any dried because then it would be for the purpose of consumption and possible trafficing....hmmm....

A few other friends told me that it was legal as well for cultivation....

--------------------

Anonymous

#813672 - 08/12/02 08:45 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

That says use of the drug is illegal,.
not possesion of plants containing the drug.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Canadian Law [Re: ]
    #813815 - 08/12/02 10:12 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Tellthat to the RCMP who arrests you for having them. They just let the courts decided anyway. No skin off their backs to bust you.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#818210 - 08/15/02 03:35 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Shrooms are illegal to grow or have at any stage of their life except spores. The old drug laws allowed shrooms at any stage except dried, but the current drug law (passed in 1996) changed that.

Peyote is legal to grow and own as long as it isn't dried out or processed for consumption. Mescaline is illegal but on the same line peyote is exempted:

Mescaline (3,4,5--trimethoxybenzeneethanamine) and any salt thereof, but not peyote (lophophora)

Here's the link to the entire drug code of Canada:
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-38.8/text.html

Hope that helps!

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

Re: Canadian Law [Re: trendal]
    #818864 - 08/15/02 08:14 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

If that's true, then what the hell is Judge Dyck (great name) talking about in the Steve Kubby case (posted above, repeated here for your viewing pleasure - http://www.drugwar.com/pkubbynofugitive.shtm )

"Dyck noted that possession of live mushrooms is legal and only the dried form is illegal, in Canada. She also acknowledged that possession of a small amount of dried mushroom would probably not be prosecuted in Canada. However, since Kubby was convicted in the U.S. of something that was technically illegal in Canada, she was required to declare Kubby inadmissible until the sentence for the mushroom stem had been served."

Drug laws...making...head...explode...*POP!*

--------------------

Offlinemirror_saw
journeyman
    #819129 - 08/16/02 02:03 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

the current drug law (passed in 1996) changed that.

11. Psilocin (3--[2-- (dimethylamino)ethyl]--4-- hydroxyindole) and any salt thereof

12. Psilocybin (3--[2-- (dimethylamino)ethyl] --4-- phosphoryloxyindole) and any salt thereof

I can't see any mention of psilocybe mushrooms (but I didn't read the whole thing)

With Mescaline, it does say but not peyote.

With psilocybin there is no explicit exemption for psilocybin mushrooms, is that why you believe they are illegal?

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Canadian Law [Re: mirror_saw]
    #823080 - 08/17/02 09:36 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

That's one of the reasons, yes. Erowid used to have, in their Law section on Mushrooms, a note about Canadian law which said that only dried mushrooms were illegal in Canada but that if the Controlled Drugs and Substances act was passed all stages of mushroom would be illegal except spores (because they do not contain psilocin/psilocybin).

But the fact that Peyote is mentioned as an exemption but mushrooms are not mentioned leads me to believe that Erowid was right and mushrooms are now illegal in Canada.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

Offlinemirror_saw
journeyman
    #823445 - 08/17/02 12:43 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I see your point, that there is no exemption as with peyote could imply that psilocybe mushrooms are illegal.

The flip side is that in some cases the plant is listed as well as the substance(s) it contains, e.g. Cannabis, Opium poppy, Coca leaf and Catha edulis and their respective chemical constituents.

Lysergic acid is listed and yet there is no exemption for Morning Glory which I imagine are grown without prosecution in Canada.

Mescaline is listed and yet there is no exemption for Trichocereus spp. (San Pedro etc.) which I imagine are available from speciality cacti shops.

From the Act:

(2) For the purposes of this Act,

(a) a reference to a controlled substance includes a reference to any substance that contains a controlled substance; and

(b) a reference to a controlled substance includes a reference to

(i) all synthetic and natural forms of the substance, and

(ii) any thing that contains or has on it a controlled substance and that is used or intended or designed for use

(A) in producing the substance, or

(B) in introducing the substance into a human body.

One difference I can see between this Act and equivalent legislation in Britain and Holland is that in those countries statutes the word "preparation" is used. Raw mushrooms are not considered to be rightly described as a preparation containing the drug.

In the Canadian Act the term used is "any thing that contains" where the intention is to produce or use the drug.

In Britain, to admit you intended to eat the raw psilocybe mushrooms in your possession would be no evidence you had broken the law.

In Canada, as far as I can see, if you were to collect mushrooms for study you would not be in possession of a controlled drug. If you were to cultivate the mushrooms as an ornamental you would not be in possession of a controlled drug. If you intend to use them as a drug however, they would seem to be illegal.

Just my opinion, and someone from Canada needs to phone up the relevant government department to find out the official position.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#823582 - 08/17/02 02:15 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I should point out that in our (Canada's) previous drug laws, psylocybe mushrooms in the mycelium, fruiting, and fresh fruit stages were explicitly exempted from the law, making dried or processed mushrooms the only illegal form to possess. The fact that the same thing is not done in the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act again points me in the direction of mushrooms being completely illegal.

--------------------

Offlinemirror_saw
journeyman
    #823672 - 08/17/02 03:05 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I should point out that in our (Canada's) previous drug laws, psylocybe mushrooms in the mycelium, fruiting, and fresh fruit stages were explicitly exempted

As I understand it (and I'm no expert), there are rules of language for interpreting statute. The tendency is that prohibition must be specific, merely removing the exemption would not in itself make them illegal. It seems as if the governments intention was to make all use of psilocybe mushrooms illegal, but the mushrooms themselves would still not be.

mj pointed out that the police could happily bust you and leave it to the Court's to decide, I suspect he is right.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#823741 - 08/17/02 03:42 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

From your post before:

(2) For the purposes of this Act,

(a) a reference to a controlled substance includes a reference to any substance that contains a controlled substance; and

(b) a reference to a controlled substance includes a reference to

(i) all synthetic and natural forms of the substance, and

(ii) any thing that contains or has on it a controlled substance and that is used or intended or designed for use

Look at the line:

I'd say that means that any mushrooms in your possession that are intended for "use" would be illegal. If you could somehow show that the mushrooms you had were never intended for "use" you might be able to get out of trouble. It all comes down to how the court decides, but I'd say if they want you in trouble there is very little you could do to get out of it.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#823753 - 08/17/02 03:45 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Here's a link I found. It's a RCMP story about mushroom grow-ops. Doesn't specifically say they are illegal, but does mentions grow-op busts.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/online/online0104.htm

--------------------

Offlinemirror_saw
journeyman
    #823876 - 08/17/02 04:31 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Perhaps the change wasn't made for ideological policy reasons. There may have been no real intention to criminalize most users.

If it was done to solve the practical problems the police would have in trying to successfully convict commercial growers or drug dealers (caused by the exemption of the mycelium and fresh mushrooms) then most of the pieces would seem to fall into place:

"She also acknowledged that possession of a small amount of dried mushroom would probably not be prosecuted in Canada."

The exemption could easily have been removed from peyote as well. Why didn't they? perhaps because peyote isn't grown commercially and is very unlikely to turn up in any real quantity on the black market?

Just speculation.

Offlinewoaihuan
Hobbiest

#6776554 - 04/11/07 09:00 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I am sorry that I am digging up such an old thread (I am being warned now that it is exactly 1698 days old) but I am truly interested in this as I have a friend that is interested in growing a small (couple cakes) of cubensis. He is not interested in distribution, sale, drying, or use.

I talked to him about this and the worst thing that could happen to him is a criminal record. He also mentioned something that made sense to me, being that they grow ops that were in fact found and shut down may have been accused of being 'cultivated for drug use' because there was dried mushrooms in the same area.

After coming through this entire thread, it hasn't seem to come to a conclusion, and it may also be out of date.

Does anyone have any recent information regarding this?

--------------------
Disclaimer: I do not endorse illegal activity, nor do I participate in illegal activity. Any usage of spores is simply for microspore examinations. Any statements that pose a reason to believe otherwise should be disregarded as humorous.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies