Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Morning Glory Seeds, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDiscordja
Pope

Loc: Atlantic Canada
Canadian Law
    #811289 - 08/11/02 06:03 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Can anyone direct me to some relaible and up to date info on Canadian law with regards to mushrooms? I mean, besides the official Guv docs that I don't have half a chance in Hades of understanding. I know there are some wacky loopholes, but I can't seperate fact from rumor without some confirmation.

--------------------
Remember, it's only true if it makes you laugh...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTrip_Out_7
PaRTy aNiMaL

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Canadian Law [Re: Discordja]
    #811300 - 08/11/02 06:08 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Basically, you're allowed to grow mushies, but you can't dry them out because it would be for illegal purposes (obviously lol)

--------------------

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

Re: Canadian Law [Re: Trip_Out_7]
    #811339 - 08/11/02 06:26 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Obviously That was my biggest question. Gotta love that wacky War on (Some) Drugs. How about Peyote? I know its illegal in the States, but a few of its Mescaline bearing cousins are perfectly legal. Are American lawmakers totally arbitrary or just stupid?

--------------------

OfflineTrip_Out_7
PaRTy aNiMaL

#811355 - 08/11/02 06:32 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

ummm I think most things are just stupid, including the government. They gotta get rid of Harris. As well the states laws suck too

--------------------

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

#811359 - 08/11/02 06:34 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

"90% of everything is crap. Except crap. 100% of crap is crap."
- Too Much Coffee Man

--------------------

OfflineTrip_Out_7
PaRTy aNiMaL

#811369 - 08/11/02 06:38 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

lol that's funny

--------------------

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

#811375 - 08/11/02 06:41 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Thenk yew, thenk yew very much. Not original, but I'll take whatever laughs I can get.

--------------------

OfflinePoolShark
Mushroom Farmer

#811415 - 08/11/02 06:57 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

*Shits his pants* You can legaly grow shrooms here! Man I love living in Canada

--------------------
PoolShark

Remember, Every thing I say or write is not based on facts or reality

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #811861 - 08/12/02 12:26 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hey Trip out 7 and Pool Sharkm. Apparently you did n't u read about the big Calgary Shroom growing bust., Dudes, they are illegal as hell in Canada. Where did you get that info that you could grow them?.

Here read it and then watch the bust of the shroom grower in the video on this very page.

http://www.cfcnplus.ca/servlet/RTGAMArticleHTMLTemplate/A/20020424/mushroom?brand=generic&hub=&tf=CFCNPlus/generic/hubs/frontpage.html&cf=CFCNPlus/generic/hubs/frontpage.cfg&slug=mushroom&date=20020424&archive=CFCNPlus&ad_page_name=&nav=home&subnav=fullstory

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (08/12/02 12:29 AM)

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

Re: Canadian Law [Re: mjshroomer]
    #811999 - 08/12/02 04:00 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, I heard about that. According to the article, the dude was charged with "cultivation and possession for the purpose of trafficking." Sounds pretty specific. It could be a small quantity of fresh shrooms is legal, while a large quantity thats obviously going to be resold is criminal. Blah. This is my problem. I need facts, not my own idle speculations.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #812007 - 08/12/02 04:11 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

The fact is is that they are illegal to posses fresh or dried. I already talked to the Calgary Police Department and to the News Channell reporters on the video.

The police were definitley less recepotive to my inquiry than the news channel was.

but the fact remains intact. They are illegal in Canda. Mjshroomer. You should be able to look up the drug laws, I mean we can get the Dea scheduling for US on the internet so I am sure that your laws are also ont he internet.

Mj

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #812012 - 08/12/02 04:21 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

PSilocine and psilocybine are schedule three drugs in Canada along with peyote, harmaline, mescaline,amphetamine, etc.

Here is the Canadian Subsantce Abuse Act.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-38.8/34097.html#rid-34146

mj. You can find out alol about the illegal substances in your country.

mj

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #812018 - 08/12/02 04:37 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hi again, I just mailed tot he Justice Department in Canada the following letter.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Sirs:

or To whom it may concern.

I am the author of ten books, one medical poster and more than two dozen published papers on the subect of psychoactive mushrooms belonging to the genera Psilocybe and other families, of which there are, worldwide, more than 186 known recognized species.

I also have a very large mushroom web-site.

My question is this.

I have recently been plagued with many questions from Canadian citizens regarding the legality of Psilocybine mushrooms in Canada.

I notice that your scheduling in the "Controlled Drugs and Substance Act" act lists the chemical substances psilocine and psilocybine as a schedule three drugs.

However, I can find no laws regarding the legal status of the vegetable organic mushrooms which contain these substances.

Since the chemical substances are listed, that would mean a pure chemical compound, yet the substances in the mushrooms are of an organic nature and not a chemical substance.

Can you help me in this quiry,

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

P.s., In the British Isles as well as Florida in the United States, Judges have ruled that Mushrooms are mushrooms and that psilocine and psilocybine are Chemicals. And thus the possession of fresh mushrooms are not considered illegal under their laws. But dried mushrooms are and they are losted as manufacture of a drug.

Best Regards,

John W. Allen

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

mj,

Now one quick question, I know you read the article, did you also watch the accompaning video. There is a box on the page for the video of the bust.

mj

P.s. If they answer me I will post their response if and when it comes in my email.

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

#812092 - 08/12/02 06:38 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Most excellent! Thanks for the niftay help. I tried to watch the video, but it just freezes up on me.

I checked out the Controlled Substances Act a few weeks back, but it didn't fill me in on the specifics I wanted (namely, the dried/fresh question).

--------------------

Edited by Discordja (08/12/02 06:41 AM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #812104 - 08/12/02 06:47 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Well the web administraot just emailed me the following message:

You should contact Health Canada at 1-800-267-1245 or visit their
website at
www.hc-sc.gc.ca

Web administrator
Justice Canada

Hah! They just passed the buck.

So I mailed the same email tot he Minister of Health in Canada,
the Honourable Anne McLellan. And thus I await her reply.

mj

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #812108 - 08/12/02 06:49 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Wow that was fast. Must be an instant reply mode or something. Here is the first reply. I will also attempt to call the 1-800 number and see what I can find out.

Here was the reply I just received:

Dear John W. Allen,

Your message, addressed to the Honourable Minister of Health Anne
McLellan, has been
received and will be brought to the Minister's attention.
Thank you for taking the time to write.

Ministerial Correspondence Unit

mjshroomer

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

#812213 - 08/12/02 08:01 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

All I could find on the Health Canada site was some scant info from an Alberta Drug Pamphlet from 95. Psilocybin (and psilocin) fall under the Food and Drug Act rather than the Controlled Substances Act (but, so the hell what?). Again, its listed as psilocybin, though it recognizes 'magic mushrooms' as another term for the same thing.

"In Canada this drug is governed by the Food and Drugs Act. It is a restricted drug. Upon summary conviction for possession, first offence penalty is a fine of up to $1,000 and/or up to six months' imprisonment; for subsequent offences $2,000 and/or one year, upon conviction by indictment $5,000 and/or three years. Trafficking and possession for the purpose of trafficking are punishable upon summary conviction by up to 18 months' imprisonment and upon conviction by indictment up to 10 years."

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hppb/alcohol-otherdrugs/pube/straight/hallucinogens.htm#Psilocybin

Nothing on the dried/fresh question...

--------------------

Anonymous

#812237 - 08/12/02 08:21 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Edited by Anonymous (08/12/02 08:25 AM)

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

Re: Canadian Law [Re: ]
    #812244 - 08/12/02 08:27 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Neeto. Whats more, according to this article, the law has "acknowledged that possession of a small amount of dried mushroom would probably not be prosecuted in Canada."

'Probably' isn't very stringent legal-speak, but its beter than nothing.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #812380 - 08/12/02 09:45 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

This one says iullegal.

Tape 3025: LSD (acid) and Other Hallucinogens
(Magic Mushrooms, Peyote, itc.)
The term "hallucinogen" refers to a drug that alters a person's perceptions of reality. A hallucination is a false perception something a person believes is real, but isn't. An example is when someone hears voices when no one is speaking, or sees things that really aren't there.

Hallucinogens are either found naturally or made synthetically. Mescaline, for example, can be extracted from the peyote cactus or manufactured synthetically. Psilocybin can be chemically produced or extracted from certain mushrooms. Natural hallucinogens can be found in the seeds of some varieties of morning glory, jimson weed and nutmeg.

There are many illegal hallucinogens with names like LSD, or "acid," MDA, PCP and STP, to name a few. These chemicals are manufactured illegally for street use.

Other drugs such as amphetamines, cocaine, cannabis and alcohol can also cause hallucinations at very high dosages but are not usually regarded as hallucinogens.

The effects of the drugs depend on the amount taken, a user's past history, and the way in which the drug is taken. A person's mood, or whether they have mixed other drugs, can greatly influence the effects. So can variations in the quality and purity of the drugs.

The common effects of hallucinogens include a sense of time passing slowly,\feelings of unreality, feelings of separation of the mind and

"self" from the body, an inability to concentrate, vivid and unusual visual patterns and sounds, plus feelings of excitement and tension.

The user may find these effects pleasant on some occasions, and experience a sense of well-being or adventure. But at other times, the same effects may make the user feel disturbed, threatened or terrified.

An overdose of certain hallucinogens such as PCP can be fatal. However, most deaths involving hallucinogens are the result of accidents or violence that takes place while the user is under the influence of the drug.

People who use hallucinogens too frequently develop tolerance very quickly, meaning they fail to respond even to very large doses. Therefore, the great majority of users take these drugs only from time to time, and use of hallucinogens rarely leads to psychological dependence. Hallucinogens do not seem to cause physical dependence. Yet chronic use may cause memory difficulties and changes in personality.

The use of some hallucinogens may result in periodic "flashbacks" when a person relives the effects of the drug without actually taking it. These flashbacks may occur over many years and cause intense anxiety or depression.

The most serious problems caused by hallucinogens are acute panic attacks and the triggering of serious mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia or severe depression in those who are prone to these problems.

LSD used by pregnant women appears to be associated with spontaneous abortion, and may be linked to a higher rate of birth defects.

Sometimes chemical impurities in synthetic hallucinogens can cause serious health problems. For example, an impurity in the drug known as MDMA, or Ecstasy, can cause a form of brain damage that results in permanent injury to muscle control.

In Canada, the use of psilocybin, LSD, MDMA, PCP and STP is restricted for research purposes only. Use of these drugs for any other purpose is illegal in Canada.

This is a transcript of a CAMH Information Line telephone message.

For more information,
call 1-800-463-6273
(in Toronto call 595-6111)
or write: Information Center,
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health,
33 Russell St., Toronto,
Ont. M5S 2S1

mj

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Morning Glory Seeds, San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience