Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBroooodward
Nobody calls melebowski.
Male

Loc: nebraska
Why pasteurize for an hour?
    #8111392 - 03/06/08 02:55 PM (16 years, 25 days ago)

Just curious as to why straw and such are pasteurized for an hour? Ive read that 160 only has to be reached for seconds to pasteurize, though i understand the idea of trying to make sure all the substrate is the right temp. Are there other reasons too?

--------------------
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleflavoraid
now with twicethe ketamine andopiates!
Male
Re: Why pasteurize for an hour? [Re: Broooodward]
    #8111431 - 03/06/08 03:02 PM (16 years, 25 days ago)

well for one as you stated

the temperature has to be 140+ f throughout the straw not just the surface, moisture is absorbed in this time.

also RR says the processes is beneficial throughout the 60-90minutre range at 140-160f.

so I'm assuming pasturization works over that period of time.

for the same reason you spend more than 5 seconds washing your hands... assuming you do.

--------------------
coda said:
imachavel, Man you really need to do some reading, the amount of bullshit you put into almost every single one of your posts is absolutely astounding.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Why pasteurize for an hour? [Re: flavoraid]
    #8111828 - 03/06/08 04:21 PM (16 years, 25 days ago)

Pasteurization of substrates doesn't take a few seconds. It takes an hour. The idea is to kill all of the mold spores, and some of the bacteria. The surviving bacteria keep the substrate 'alive', thus reducing the chances of molds forming. A few bacteria in a substrate will also improve fruiting, and some species simply will not fruit on a sterile substrate.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBroooodward
Nobody calls melebowski.
Male

Loc: nebraska
Re: Why pasteurize for an hour? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8111881 - 03/06/08 04:31 PM (16 years, 25 days ago)

okay, i just read on wikipedia that milk is pasteurized for a few seconds, but i'm sure they are worried about bacteria and not mold spores. Thanks.

--------------------
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Invisibleflavoraid
now with twicethe ketamine andopiates!
Male
Re: Why pasteurize for an hour? [Re: Broooodward]
    #8111925 - 03/06/08 04:39 PM (16 years, 25 days ago)

milk pasteurization and mycology pasteurization are two different things.

We as humans can live in filthy as hell environments and not get sick, we can eat raw meat, drink milk straight from a cow and be fine.

The idea of pasteurization for straw/poo is to kill off mold and keep beneficial bacteria as RR said.

Pasteurization for milk is at a very hot temperature and it is to quickly kill off bacteria mostly to improve the fridgerated life of the milk.

--------------------
coda said:
imachavel, Man you really need to do some reading, the amount of bullshit you put into almost every single one of your posts is absolutely astounding.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract