Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
My first shroom setup.
    #810178 - 08/11/02 07:08 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

25 days ago I received my first ever spore syringe from fanaticus. P. cubensis of course. For my first mushroom crop, I went with the mushroom growers guide found on Erowid. It is the PF cake method, and it seemed pretty feasible for me. I colonized 13 half pint cakes and all of them were successfully covered with mycellium. My terrarium is a cooler with a window and a wire grate in the bottom to keep the cakes off any water that collects in the bottom. I'm using an ultrasonic humidifier connected to 4 coke bottle chambers to decrease the humidity before it reaches the cooler through a hole I drilled in the side. I have a temperature and humidity gauge as well. The temps stay between 75 and 80 and the humidity is around 98%. They receive plenty of light and they have been in the terrarium for two days. I am anxiously awaiting pins.

Now I realized that casings are a much better method of growing, but I didn't know about casings until after I had started the cakes. What I'd like to know is how I can maximize these cakes while I start another batch with casings. I've heard that you can put straws down in the cakes (maybe with holes punched in the straw to let more water go out) and fill the straws with water to rehydrate the cakes. I've also heard that dunking works well. The cakes are vermiculite and brown rice flour, btw. Anyway, I'm sure you guys can give me some advice as far as what you think I could have done better, what I can do to make sure they are a successful crop, and what method you reccomend for next time. Also, how much yield can I realistically expect from 13 half pint cakes. I don't really understand "flushes", so I dont know if I have to do some kind of rehydration after each harvest or what.

Sorry this post was so long, I've been visiting here for a while and I finally decided to take a step into the community, so I'm really looking forward to it. I'm getting a digital camera soon so I can show you guys my setup and hopefully (!) my shrooms when they are done. I've also never done shrooms so I'm sure you'll get a funny trip report from me when that time comes. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have!

chunder

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: My first shroom setup. [Re: chunder]
    #810195 - 08/11/02 07:19 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

>What I'd like to know is how I can maximize these cakes while I start another batch with casings.
Dunking.
http://shroomery.org/faq/faq.php?display=faq&nr=46&catnr=14&prog=1&lang=en&onlynewfaq=

>Also, how much yield can I realistically expect from 13 half pint cakes.
4-7 g dry per cake.

>I don't really understand "flushes"
"Flush
The sudden development of many fruiting bodies at the same time. Usually there is a resting period between flushes."
From http://shroomery.org/other/glossary.php

> so I dont know if I have to do some kind of rehydration after each harvest or what.
Dunking.

OfflinetelefunkenU47
numerator
Loc: cartoon planet
Re: My first shroom setup. [Re: chunder]
    #810197 - 08/11/02 07:24 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

dunking is the way to go if you're going to do cakes. dunk at birthing and after each flush until they exhaust themselves (or succumb to contams). as far as yield in dry grams and assuming you lose no cakes to contamination, expect about two to three ounces. take in mind however, that this number will fluctuate wildly dependant upon environmental and other factors. i'm just giving you a rough average based on my last pf cake and dunking experience. hope this helps.

--------------------
Central Scrutinizer:
This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...
That was Joe's first confrontation with The Law.
Naturally, we were easy on him.
One of our friendly counselors gave him
A do-nut...and told him to
Stick closer to church-oriented social activities.

-Frank Zappa's "Joe's Garage"

Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
Re: My first shroom setup. [Re: telefunkenU47]
    #810304 - 08/11/02 08:28 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation