Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblexdzt

What materials to use when making a pipe
    #8093683 - 03/02/08 01:08 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Every time I see discussion of pipe-making, there are always materials mentioned that are not suitable -- often due to toxicity when heated.

So I put it to you, the wise and varied members of the Shroomery, to help me compile herein a list of what one SHOULD use and what should one at all costs avoid. What woods, what metals, what epoxies, et cetera make for primo homemades?

Edited by xdzt (03/02/08 01:11 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFerris
PsychedelicJourneyman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What materials to NOT use when making a pipe [Re: xdzt]
    #8093686 - 03/02/08 01:09 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Plastic bottles are a royally bad idea.

--------------------

Discuss Politics

Offlineelcharrosays
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: south east
Re: What materials to NOT use when making a pipe [Re: Ferris]
    #8093698 - 03/02/08 01:14 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

not at all when used correctly.

id say tin foils the worst but you know sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures.

--------------------

OfflineMeat_hod
sick shit
Male

Re: What materials to NOT use when making a pipe [Re: Ferris]
    #8093751 - 03/02/08 01:37 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Wood: Any hardwood that you like the look of, soft wood is ok probably, but i've never used it, i find they just don't have the cool lookin' grain of the hardwoods. You'll find soft wood a whole lot easier to work with though. When i buy wood i stick my fingernail into it to roughly gauge it's hardness.

All wood has different working qualities, experiment to find what works for you.

I have a small exotic woods place in my town, so im lucky, but you may be able to find exotic wood blocks at Lee Valley, check the website for store locations.

Also, sometimes certain woods can be an irritant, but i don't find it that big of a deal.

Metal: Not too sure what to suggest in this department, i always feel a bit sketchy using metal in my pipes, so i try to avoid it. Though, i think any generic metals out there you'll probably be safe with. I'd stay away from pewter though, and obviously anything with lead in it.

Glue: This is often the thing i find most troubling, as i often can't find much information on the fumes generated by heating. To avoid this mess i usually make sure that any glue is far enough away from the bowl that it will not release any vapor. I usually test the glue by burning it beforehand, they usually stand up pretty well. Lee Valley has a great glue chart that will tell you which glues are best suited for high heat. Titebond ultimate wood glue III, is what i use sometimes, it's very resistant to heat, appearently. Most of the time, though, i use quality 5 minute epoxy, this stuff will make your pipe crafting go a LOT smoother, fuck waiting for glue to dry, that messes up the work flow and puts you out of the mood, don't even go there. A good epoxy is damn strong too.

Wood finishes: You can get pretty wild here, as there are tons of options. I usually keep it pretty simple though. At first i was using all natural bees wax, but i found that it wasn't well suited for tight corners, it was a rather dull looking finish as well. It does preserve the woods colours nicely though. Then i moved onto all natural 100% linseed oil. This stuff is sick. I just wipe it on, wipe it off, done. Pretty easy. it'll basically make the wood look like it's wet, but less glossy. This step i find is ESSENTIAL when working with wood, as your wood literally comes alive when you add a finish to it. Like the gingerbread man.

Google wood finishing and you'll find a whole slew of information that i haven't bothered to learn. Oil is easy, looks great, and is non toxic, so i stick with that.

Get some good fine grit sandpaper too, it'll light your whole world on fire.

Stuff to avoid: I think common sense should be employed here. If you feel comfortable smoking from your pipe, then chances are everything is fine. but if you have a tinge of doubt in your mind, might want to make a new pipe. Oh, and i found that some seashells get very brittle when you burn then, so maybe something to avoid for a bowl material.

Get yourself a Dremel, thats what i use 90% of the time, the other 10% is the drill press.

Feel free to shoot me a PM with any further questions if ya want.

Happy pipemaking!

--------------------

Edited by Meat_hod (03/02/08 01:48 PM)

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Re: What materials to NOT use when making a pipe [Re: Meat_hod]
    #8093768 - 03/02/08 01:44 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

if you're just making a simple pipe i always found the metal pen tube with metal pen tip for downstem and bowl + a plastic 20 oz bottle for a chamber, and then some plumbers putty for sealant, to the be the easiest route to go. Cheap, effective, and readily available.

If all else fails hit up the market and grab a bag of apples.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Invisiblexdzt

Re: What materials to NOT use when making a pipe [Re: coda]
    #8096871 - 03/03/08 10:14 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

coda said:
if you're just making a simple pipe i always found the metal pen tube with metal pen tip for downstem and bowl

I think you're missing the point -- not every metal pen is going to be made from a metal that is safe to heat.

Apples, though, are always a good one. But I was hoping to find out materials for actually crafting a pipe rather than just slapping together some potentially hazardous materials that are lying about.

OfflineanarchOi
Ellenalien is fat.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ASE Flag
    #8096999 - 03/03/08 10:53 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

bamboo seems to be rampant here

and it makes for great pipes

bamboo is the original marijuana smoking pipe

--------------------

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: What materials to NOT use when making a pipe [Re: anarchOi]
    #8097775 - 03/03/08 02:01 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Make a chillum out of clay, and get all Hindu on that Kush.

Way more useful than a dredal.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #8097792 - 03/03/08 02:04 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

NOT: aluminum foil, plastics, anything that releases toxic chemicals when burned..

OK: most hardwoods, stainless steel, GLASS, FRUIT, clay.. dirt... a really old school bowl is to smoke out of the ground.. just dig a hole.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies