Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
what are your thoughts on memory?
    #8087196 - 02/29/08 05:45 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

from what I can tell, memory still has science perplexed. there really is very little explanation as to its limits, its capacity, if it is tangible... etc.

so it seems that this is an avenue where almost everyone has to have some belief as to how memory works, and Im sure people have varying theories.

I vividly remember this moment when I had just turned 15, where I realized that I had not remembered my childhood.
it wasnt like I was repressing memories, but that I had just gone through my life up to that point, without ever really thinking about the past.
it was one point where it clicked. as a child I would spend hours everyday at my neighbors house, playing in their yard and whatnot.... and after moving around a little, and finally returning to my original house at 15, I stood in that front yard and become flooded and overwhelmed with about 10 years of memories that I can honestly say I had nenver thought about until then.

something definitely changed in me that day. I dont really know what it was, but it was kind of like my life caught up with me. Up until that point, I had truly been someone that lived solely in the present (and maybe the future (hope)).
at that point, I was more weirded out that I had not ever thought about my past than I was comforted by so many great memories.

I know this is rambling, so dont expect anything great, just respond to the opening paragraph if you want...

but memories can get better. do you think your appreciation for that innocence, or that romantic night grows, or that your life has become so detached from that person that you were that you cherish it more?

and does it ever bother you that you probably wont ever know what you forgot?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJackthaTripper
MSME!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mind Exploration Flag
Re: what are your thoughts on memory? [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #8087264 - 02/29/08 06:05 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

"what are your thoughts on memory?"

I don't remember..

--------------------

Come on breakthrough with me...such wonders terrify the soul...it's real no need to question...knowledge infiltrates the host

Offlineg00ru
lit pants tit licker
Male User Gallery

Loc: georgia, us
Re: what are your thoughts on memory? [Re: JackthaTripper]
    #8087275 - 02/29/08 06:08 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

I've lived in the past my whole life. When I think of my childhood I get flooded with a nostalgia so powerful it feel like my heart is going to burst.

I'm the opposite of you, about three years ago I was thinking about my future and was struck with the cripplingly powerful realization that soon I would be on my own in the world.

--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
    #8087290 - 02/29/08 06:13 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

and does it ever bother you that you probably wont ever know what you forgot?

It's kind of pointless for me to do that.
I am aware that there might be some events that probably would have a relatively deep meaning for me, but so does the present moment.
Regretting the fact that I can't remember things from the past would stop me from noticing what's happening into my life right now, and I don't want that. There are tons of things which I remember from my past and they are not of my concern so much, because of the same reason.

Getting to what's memory, it seems to be stirred by association.
I happen to remember many things from my childhood and sometimes when I use psychedelics I remember flashing images from my childhood. The feeling is nice but I can't say that it matters all that much to me.
I think that our memory is directly related to our sense of self awareness. The more aware we become of the fact that we exist and all the things it involves, the more we develop a sense of remembering. I also think that the reason why we don't remember so much from our childhood is because we're not really concerned with how we came to be and what we are.
I can't say that in my childhood I was more in the present than I am now.

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: what are your thoughts on memory? [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #8087316 - 02/29/08 06:23 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

well, where do you think it is stored? how is it stored?

and do you have extremely vivid memories that arent anything special really? why do those stand out with such clarity?

one of my most vivid memories is when I was 7 playing in a sand pit type thing with assorted tonka trucks. I can remember the feeling, the brightness of the day, the temperature, how strong the breeze was, the sound of the gulf of mexico crashing against the shore.

but it wasnt like I was extremely happy, it wasnt very eventful, just another day in my childhood.

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
    #8087364 - 02/29/08 06:37 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

I don't know where it is stored, or maybe it's more appropriate of me to say that perhaps our conception of "storing" is limited, therefore we're unable to comprehend the phenomenon of remembering.
Maybe our entire body stores memories, our cells. This is all assumption, but based on what might be considered as facts. A while ago I watched a documentary about heart transplants and how those who received the new hearts "inherited" memories, tastes, and feelings from their donors. I looked up for some articles related to that:

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/CellularMemories.html
http://skepdic.com/cellular.html

Until now I am inclined to think that cells can indeed store information.

Quote:

and do you have extremely vivid memories that arent anything special really? why do those stand out with such clarity?

Yes, I think that in all those moments I felt very conscious about what was happening to me. Like I was telling myself hey, this is happening to me, this is what I am experiencing. Kind of hard to explain the feeling, but I remember thinking that quite clear. If I focus on those memories for a while, I can remember even more from that particular day or place. And yes, every memory seems to be very detailed.

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Loc: off the wall
    #8087712 - 02/29/08 08:09 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

one of my most important memories is having a sort of flashback of my childhood recurring dreams. i always had these same lucid dreams as a child, always in the same environment with the same objects, and what i would do in the dream would always be the same as there was only one path i could take. i remember in the dream there was this very specific feeling associated with it... very hard to describe this feeling as it doesn't relate to anything - it feels like space is expanding in my mind. i have memories of this dream every so often and the feeling comes with it. it is mostly a feeling at first then imagry of the dream sets in.

nothing much to say on the hows/whats of memory, and amnesia is bizzare.

Offlinebackfromthedead
Activated

Re: what are your thoughts on memory? [Re: deranger]
    #8087735 - 02/29/08 08:15 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

I like the idea that the brain is a holographic plate.

--------------------

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery

#8087740 - 02/29/08 08:17 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

Wow Synthetic, your post just gave me a flashback to a recurring childhood dream.  :persistence:

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Re: what are your thoughts on memory? [Re: Entropymancer]
    #8087833 - 02/29/08 08:39 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

glad to be a trigger

amazing how easy it is to forget.

my dreams were fucked, i would be jailed in and surrounded by what looked like giant popsicle sticks in a white space (like the scene in the matrix). ahead of me would be a volcano, and i had nowhere else to go except up the volcano. so each time i would climb to the top and look into it. it would erupt and i would see from an outside perspective my face charred and the dream would end. each time these dreams occured, the only way i could escape the dreamworld would be to climb this volcano... it freaked the shit out of me upon waking!

care to share?

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery

#8087858 - 02/29/08 08:48 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

Mine took place at an old abandoned farm that bore just enough resemblance to my grandparent's farm to freak me out. I would start out upstairs, and something would always come tromping down out of the attic, so I'd run downstairs and through a tiny door in the kitchen that led would have led to the old post office in real life (my grandparents lived in a small enoug podunk town that the post office was an adjuct of their house back in the old days), but in the dream it always led outside into the fields. There was a wooden shack to my left, though I don't recall ever going in... and witches cackling... that's where it gets kind of fuzzy.

Freaky as hell for sure, especially to a little kid (I couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 when I had these dreams).

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Re: what are your thoughts on memory? [Re: Entropymancer]
    #8087946 - 02/29/08 09:14 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

i remember waking up pouring in sweat and fear, then running to my parents bedroom :rofl:

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

#8088714 - 03/01/08 03:32 AM (16 years, 22 days ago)

The more we research the brain, the less we understand it. Some Dutch neuroscientists recently discovered that stimulating a single neuron could deliver the sensation of touch. Most of the theories about how the brain works use the connections between neurons (aka neural networks) to explain how thoughts and memories form. This research pretty much demolished that view.

InvisibleChronic7

Re: what are your thoughts on memory? [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #8088959 - 03/01/08 08:08 AM (16 years, 21 days ago)

You never forget anything, you just seemingly stop thinking about it

They say every cell in your body regenrates after 7-9 years, yet i can remember things from 12 years ago clearly.

I dont even consider memories, stored in the brain "cells"

--------------------

Edited by Chronic7 (03/01/08 08:15 AM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: what are your thoughts on memory? [Re: backfromthedead]
    #8090566 - 03/01/08 04:40 PM (16 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

backfromthedead said:
I like the idea that the brain is a holographic plate.

amazingly holography can bind very complex patterns in the same physical place using natural wave form interference as the only indexing system.

for holography a rectified light source supplies encoding energy and image projection.

we know the brain stores memory like a hologram throughout it's surface, and when laid flat with all the wrinkles smoothed, it is a plate.

what is less certain is how the interference from sensory input (or mental activity) is retained, or how re-excitation of a related fragment brings back volumes of memory and sequences.

I say less certain, because some of us are more certain and most have no idea.

anyway, as incoming signals enter the brain they enter in reverberant spikes and wave forms that fade away (fading more slowly when stoned), this fading spike is the energy that encodes memory holographically.

all the active areas send out waves like water droplets on a pond making an interference pattern.

the peaks and troughs of the energy in the cortex excite multiaxxonned cells that create a binding feedback to all cells involved in the activity.

later when part is re-excited memory emerges in fullness by facilitation of previously bound cells.

something like that will work for all we remember and all we forget and for all that we dream and all that we care.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: what are your thoughts on memory? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #8091496 - 03/01/08 08:34 PM (16 years, 21 days ago)

Memory is almost-certainly stored holographically. The brain isn't big enough to store all that linearly. As techniques for applying the principles of Fourier analysis to the brain mature, this will become evident.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
Re: what are your thoughts on memory? [Re: Diploid]
    #8091749 - 03/01/08 09:51 PM (16 years, 21 days ago)

I remember one of the first times ever being out in the snow... I remember seeing this huge snokeflake falling, it was at least 5 inches wide! and it was gone as quickly as it came. Now I remember this memory so vividly, but I still dont know if the snowflake was real or not

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale