Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejasong165
Stranger
wet jars??
    #8084981 - 02/29/08 05:26 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

hello all,

this is my first time trying to grow and ive run into some concerns when i attempt to sterilize my jars in my pressure cooker.

im using 6 half pint jars (3 cups vermiculite, 1.5 cups BRF, 1.5 cups water) and i filled the top 1/2 inch with dry vermiculite. after i cook them in 1" of water on medium heat, the top layer of vermiculite appears to have become wet and move around. there is now open space at the tops of the jar, maybe 1/4" or so but its happened on all of the jars. i tried this with loosely screwed on lids (using tape over holes and 3 layers of foil over everything) and just foil over the holes (with sealed lid) and im getting the same results.

is this normal for the top layer of vermiculite to move like this? is this is a sign of moisture getting into the jars?

thanks all for your help. any tips would be appreciated since this is my first time.

Edited by jasong165 (02/29/08 05:42 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewoefuljungle
here to gain andshare knowlege
Male

Loc: us
Re: wet jars?? [Re: jasong165]
    #8085103 - 02/29/08 07:10 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

yeah thats what it is i had the same mf-ing prob...i tried packing more vermiculite in there but.... i gave up and innocced and out of 8 jars six are growing fine-out of the other two one did not grow at all the other got mold...i hope it answers ur question

--------------------
loading signature . . .

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
Re: wet jars?? [Re: woefuljungle]
    #8085218 - 02/29/08 08:30 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

you should be ok... although remembering back are you putting foil arround the whole jar? just use one layer of foil over the lid.. it should cover the whole lid just under the lip.... also when u look at ur jars can u shake the dry vermiculite aroud cause if u can... thats a sign that its not very wet

Offlinejasong165
Stranger
Re: wet jars?? [Re: Tomandjerry58]
    #8087177 - 02/29/08 05:40 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

when i put the foil on, i generally just layer it on there pressing it down against the lip of the lid. the next layers are my insurance layers but apparently those did not help the situation. i threw out of my batches because the vermiculite was a real dark brown color and appeared soaked. i flipped one jar over and the whole cake slid up and down in the jar. this really concerns me since this is my first time doing this. i did not try shaking the jars to see if the vermiculite can move.

my first 6 jars are 5 days in and there is decent colonization at the moment. i'm holding my head up and we'll see what happens over the next few weeks. with any luck, this is ok and things will turn out ok.

thanks again for your help.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag