Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous

Terence McKenna, crank or profit?
    #808297 - 08/10/02 04:40 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

McKenna came up in a thread and I am wondering what the consensus opinion of this group is about him.

I have always thought that he understood more about the other side than most people who have ever experienced hallucinogens and I am a big fan.

What do others think?

Cheers,

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemirrorsaw
journeyman
Re: Terence McKenna, crank or profit? [Re: ]
    #808331 - 08/10/02 05:06 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I think a lot of his ideas were real crazy but I wouldn't say he was a crank. I have no idea how many of his theories he actually believed. He wrote entertaining books with a lot of far out speculation.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #808379 - 08/10/02 05:47 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I think he might have started out on the right foot, but somewhere in time he forgot to take the path less traveled and ended up on the $-quest. But hey, who am I to judge? Maybe the only way he could support himself was by selling stories of little elves to trippers-looking-for-meaning-and-direction. IF that's the case, then I feel sorry for him... but that's no reason to respect him or his misleading "work".

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleMystical_Craven
mentally illpsychonaught

Loc: Earth
    #808395 - 08/10/02 05:53 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

In another thread I posted something about a lecture I thought was given by Alan Watts...which, of course, turned out to be one of McKenna's. I didn't say anything at the time cause I wanted to first find out where I had gotten it from. And well, I stumbled upon it just yesterday (quite by accident) and was planning on making the correction some time today...but seeing as this thread is already here I guess it would probably make more sence to just toss it where it belongs. So here it be --> http://www.elftrance.com/Html/ThinkTank.htm
Note: this just takes you to the page it's on, so you have to actually put forth enough effort to scroll down the page to where it's at (hint: the link itself is titled 'here' and can be found between the picture of the greek looking monkey on the soap box and the picture of the Earth with the Rocky Horror lips on it)

--------------------

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go..." T.S. Eliot

Anonymous

Re: Terence McKenna, crank or profit? [Re: Sclorch]
    #808429 - 08/10/02 06:13 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for your thoughts, Sclorch.

I want to say right up front that I think that McKenna might have gotten caught up in the material wealth his ideas generated. However, for me that does not detract from the central theme of his message(s).

I, for one, think that he is closer to the truth than most others in reference to the beings that appear during hallucino/entheogenic experiences.

In other words, I think the beings he describes actually exist.

There are very deep philosophical implications in his ideas that take a lot of time to explain and I'm hesitant to discuss them.

To the others:

I will download the link when I have a bit more time.

Thanks to all for their opinions.

Offlinepostalboy
I'm not myfucking khaki's!
Loc: My tiny corner of the pad...
    #808578 - 08/10/02 08:20 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Wow Mr. Mush. Accept my apology please. As soon as I seen the topic and your name replying, I automatically assumed you would say crank and spout some Kant on it.
But I agree with you. I havent read everything by him and I probably don't know the whole story, but while reading True Hallucinations, I was blown out of the water. If he was on to something, and these "things" exist, that is fantastic. If not and he was just tripping his brain matter to edge city, sign me up for that as well. I especially got into the world vibration his brother experienced while on shrooms.
But I can't really answer the question since most prophets are cranks and most cranks become prophets. And just to be an ass. Look at this Jesus guy. Prophet or crank? Nobody knows for sure. The only people who know for a FACT are dead. And they ain't talkin...

But my opinion; Prophet. no crank. wait most definately prophet, i think. Yeah Thats my final answer.

--------------------
"You people voted for Hubert Humphrey, and you killed Jesus." F and L in L.V.

Anonymous

Re: Terence McKenna, crank or profit? [Re: postalboy]
    #808593 - 08/10/02 08:33 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Don't assume.

I am a very strange person that thinks too much and is on the verge of a mental collapse. j/k

Seriously, I think he knows more than he thinks he knows and may not ever know the deeper ramifications of his beliefs.

I also think his brother has mental problems, big time.

But those are unfounded opinions as I have never met him and talked to him.

Cheers,

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #808637 - 08/10/02 08:56 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Great writer, great original thinker.

Did a lot of good with the mushroom growers guide too.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #808660 - 08/10/02 09:05 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Relating to your other post about shared knowledge.. if you share the same ideas as McKenna, he's great. If not. well...

I happen to think he's a good writer and you can't fault a pioneer for missteps so even though I don't always agree with him, I respect him.

Anonymous

Re: Terence McKenna, crank or profit? [Re: infidelGOD]
    #808789 - 08/10/02 10:14 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Relating to your other post about shared knowledge.. if you share the same ideas as McKenna, he's great. If not. well...

Thank you. I did not know people counted on my opinion that much. I am humbled my your admission.

Cheers,

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #809400 - 08/10/02 04:32 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I enjoyed reading McKenna alot... He was and probably still is the one writer who understood what it is like for me on the "Other side" during mushroom voyages. I only started reading him after I had experienced some really insane things while tripping. I loved his descriptions of the Eschaton, the Other (whatever that may be), and language having more power than one might suspect...

I loved the way he spun his words. I had to read his work with a dictionary close by at all times, as his vocabulary was far more expanded than my own.

I am deeply saddened that he died before I could witness his personality in person...

Sclorch, if you wanted to make money, why in the hell would you try and make it by making up stories of elves? Maybe it's just me but if I wanted to make money I would at least come up with something a bit more believable.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Terence McKenna, crank or profit? [Re: Adamist]
    #809575 - 08/10/02 05:54 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Sclorch, if you wanted to make money, why in the hell would you try and make it by making up stories of elves?
You bought it didn't you?

Maybe it's just me but if I wanted to make money I would at least come up with something a bit more believable.
Why bother? If it sells, it sells. If it didn't, he would've stopped after the first book.

--------------------

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #809600 - 08/10/02 06:07 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah I'm disgustipated with captilism as much as the next anti-mainstreamer, but hey, if you had the chance to support yourself by writing books wouldn't you take it?

I do think McKenna dramatized or fantasized alot of his writing, but that does not make it any less interesting in my eyes.

If you don't like it don't buy it.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #809742 - 08/10/02 07:08 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

if you had the chance to support yourself by writing books wouldn't you take it?
That would depend on my situation. I would have a hard time writing fiction (for non-mainstream readers) and masquerading it as an experience that I had. It's a lie that can only hurt diversity in the end. If I were starving... I'd do it, but I'd throw in some hints that I was bullshitting.

I do think McKenna dramatized or fantasized alot of his writing, but that does not make it any less interesting in my eyes.
Interesting is one thing. Ethical is another thing. I won't argue that it's interesting... it is, but I just think it's misleading.

If you don't like it don't buy it.
Like? That's a pretty vague word when describing the particular intention(s) underlying a decision (in this case to buy a book).

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #809770 - 08/10/02 07:25 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Not sure what planet you're living on sclorch but down here on earth supporting yourself through writing books about magic mushrooms ain't gonna happen. Try it one day and see how long you can support yourself for.

If you want to make any money you need to be selling Harry Potter like quantities, not a few thousand. If Terence had been interested in making money the last thing he would've done was to write books about mushrooms.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Terence McKenna, crank or profit? [Re: Xlea321]
    #810306 - 08/11/02 06:29 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Not sure what planet you're living on sclorch but down here on earth supporting yourself through writing books about magic mushrooms ain't gonna happen.
I didn't say his was rich and famous. But I don't think he was starving or homeless.

If Terence had been interested in making money the last thing he would've done was to write books about mushrooms
He started out writing as OT Ott. He sold SHITLOADS of those books. You don't think that might have influenced him to write more? Publishing is about SALES. McKenna didn't have a problem writing books that would sell... hence, the publisher kept publishing and SELLING his books. He didn't have to write about Harry Potter... he had his niche market. That's all you need.

--------------------

Anonymous

#810316 - 08/11/02 06:34 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I am deeply saddened that he died before I could witness his personality in person...

I did not know this. That is sad. He had more to teach and learn.

Anonymous

#810325 - 08/11/02 06:37 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

In what way was his work misleading?

That is the only point you've made in this thread that I do not understand. Could you elaborate a bit?

Cheers,

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #810336 - 08/11/02 06:44 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Sclorch, check out how much money authors make on a book sale. Mckenna got three books published in around 20 years. At the very best he'd have made $5-10,000 on each book. Over 20 years that ain't exactly the kind of thing you devote your life to unless you have a passionate commitment to it. He'd have made a lot more money flipping hamburgers.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineChubbSubb
Zen Lunatic

Loc: Here.
    #810630 - 08/11/02 09:42 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I like McKenna. Sometimes he sounds a bit nuts, but he still has good ideas. Interesting stuff.....

--------------------
Those who know do not speak.
Those who speak do not know.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate