Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblevonhumboldt
Stranger
Re: Obama secretly works with Canadians! [Re: lonestar2004]
    #8087339 - 02/29/08 06:29 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Obama secretly works with Canadians! [Re: AnonymousRabbit]
    #8087341 - 02/29/08 06:29 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

supernovasky said:
It really is a non-story. There is absolutely no proof, and both the Obama campaign and canadian embassy deny it.

Per Phreds links

The Canadian government, spoke with Obamas senior economic adviser Austan Goldsbee.

The Obama Senior Economic Advisor has refused to say whether he had such a conversation with the Canadian government office in Chicago.

He also said he has been told to direct any questions to the campaign headquarters....

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#8087351 - 02/29/08 06:33 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

this story smells like cover up....

I think Obama has been in caught in a lie....

"Norton did allow, however, that the embassy on the staff level had discussed multiple issues, including NAFTA, with the Obama and Hillary campaigns at various times, and had urged them to look at NAFTA in a positive light."

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/02/canadian_embassy_report_on_oba.php

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Edited by lonestar2004 (02/29/08 06:35 PM)

Invisiblevonhumboldt
Stranger
    #8087354 - 02/29/08 06:33 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The Canadian government, spoke with Obamas senior economic adviser Austan Goldsbee.

The Obama Senior Economic Advisor has refused to say whether he had such a conversation with the Canadian government office in Chicago.

He also said he has been told to direct any questions to the campaign headquarters....

So?

OfflineAnonymousRabbit
Comrade
 User Gallery
. [Re: vonhumboldt]
    #8087391 - 02/29/08 06:46 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

Edited by AnonymousRabbit (05/18/22 11:02 PM)

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#8087422 - 02/29/08 06:55 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

CTV named names.

Austin Goolsbee.

If Goolsbee had not talked to officials in the consulate, all he has to say is "No, I did talk to them.

Goolsbee answer....No Comment....

"Change we can BELIEVE in"? Hardly.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #8087433 - 02/29/08 06:59 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I don't understand the political benefit of going to talk to Canada as a primary candidate anyways regarding this, and the fact that Goldsbee won't talk doesn't really imply that he did actually talk with them and say that. Its clearly a very delicate political matter and an economic advisor may just not know how to handle it. The fact that anonymous sources are saying it did happen as such isn't enough.

I'm not ruling out the possibility that its all true, but Obama is pretty intelligent, clearly no one from his campaign is going to talk to Canadian diplomats without his approval, and I simply do not understand what motivation Obama would have to talk to the Canadian government about this policy before the Ohio primary, before he has even received the nomination. It isn't as though Canada would be set to invade us by what him and Clinton have been saying, and it isn't as though a primary candidate's words on the trail are enough to compel another country to take any sort of action that could adversely affect us.

Someone show me how it makes any political sense to go talking to Canadians, I'm dying to know. :lol:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #8087447 - 02/29/08 07:03 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

lonestar2004 said:
CTV named names.

Austin Goolsbee.

So what? Is it that hard to imagine that someone trying to smear a candidate by suggesting their campaign went to talk to another country about economic matters would choose the economic advisor for the campaign? :lol:

Quote:

If Goolsbee had not talked to officials in the consulate, all he has to say is "No, I did talk to them.

And what if he did, but that isn't what was said in the slightest? His saying he did would turn situation up a notch for American media, that's for sure (anyone know how much this is being covered?). It just could be that an economic advisor is not too well suited to handle delicate political matters with the press, and thusly he has been asked not to say anything. Many companies that might deal with the media approaching their lowly employees to ask about certain issues are instructed to not speak to them and refer them to the official avenues for talking with the media, regardless of the reality of what the situation is.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineAnonymousRabbit
Comrade
 User Gallery
. [Re: fireworks_god]
    #8087490 - 02/29/08 07:13 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

Edited by AnonymousRabbit (05/18/22 11:02 PM)

InvisibleDisco Cat
iS A PoiNdexteR

Re: Obama secretly works with Canadians! [Re: vonhumboldt]
    #8088703 - 03/01/08 03:17 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

It appears people are arguing whether the story is true or not as if it would be a bad thing if it were. NAFTA needs to be picked apart.

"If you ask who won or lost across North America, it is obvious that NAFTA encouraged and accelerated the redistribution of wealth upward in all three countries," said Jeff Faux, founder of the Economic Policy Institute, a labour-oriented think-tank in Washington, D.C. "How much so is open to debate. But I think most people--even those who think it was a good idea -- acknowledge that NAFTA was oversold."

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=339125

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Obama secretly works with Canadians! [Re: Disco Cat]
    #8089367 - 03/01/08 11:10 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

NAFTA needs to be picked apart? No it doesn't, it needs to be opened even more. I'm quite sure you're no lumberjack so why would you fear competition from Canuck lumber companies?

Barry's message changes, state to state. The national campaign is going to very interesting. It will be like a Where in the World is Carmen San Diego, only searching for the applicable side of Barry's mouth.

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: Obama secretly works with Canadians! [Re: vonhumboldt]
    #8097718 - 03/03/08 01:44 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

vonhumboldt said:
We'll see if or when minutes of their supposed meeting is published. Right now, it's still just allegations of one man speaking with a Canadian official - what was actually said is unknown, if they did in fact meet. Perhaps my judgment was too hasty and I'll continue to suspend judgment until the full story is revealed.

Perhaps it's just a matter of Goolsbee just sweet talking in a rogue fashion and not an official Obama campaign platform. Perhaps Goolsbee was assuring the Canadian official that Obama does not intend outright cancel NAFTA if that was their belief, but to review it and try to renegotiate the trade deal - which is fine with me. I support free trade so as long as all parties involved (not just Wall Street) benefit.

We'll see how this unfolds.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jrFPkleRZmbmPtPxHBGNAPSzfUtwD8V658RO0

Goolsbee is now admitting contact with a Canadian official but disputing the interpretation the Canadians made of his remarks concerning NAFTA. :rotfl:

Barack Obama's senior economic policy adviser privately told Canadian officials to view the debate in Ohio over trade as "political positioning," according to a memo obtained by The Associated Press

The memo is the first documentation to emerge publicly out of the meeting between the adviser, Austan Goolsbee, and officials with the Canadian consulate in Chicago, but Goolsbee said it misinterprets what he told them. The memo was written by Joseph DeMora, who works for the consulate and attended the meeting.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#8097731 - 03/03/08 01:47 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Obama must think we are all idiots like his fainting audience members...

Last week, no contact. Today arguing about a word written in a memo.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #8538803 - 06/18/08 10:07 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Well, well, well. From http://hotair.com/archives/2008/06/18/nafta-dancer-now-says-he-used-overheated-rhetoric/

Quote:

The NAFTA Dance continued today as Barack Obama tried to move from populist to centrist within a fortnight of clinching the Democratic nomination.  Earlier, Obama tried wooing heartland voters by saying he would unilaterally opt out of free-trade deals, specifically NAFTA, while his economic adviser whispered to Canadian consular officials that Obama was just indulging in election-year pandering.  Team Obama insisted that Goolsbee was misquoted, but with the nomination in his hands, Obama now admits to the pandering -- http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/18/magazines/fortune/easton_obama.fortune/ --

Quote:

In an interview with Fortune to be featured in the magazine’s upcoming issue, the presumptive Democratic nominee backed off his harshest attacks on the free trade agreement and indicated he didn’t want to unilaterally reopen negotiations on NAFTA.

“Sometimes during campaigns the rhetoric gets overheated and amplified,” he conceded, after I reminded him that he had called NAFTA “devastating” and “a big mistake,” despite nonpartisan studies concluding that the trade zone has had a mild, positive effect on the U.S. economy.

Does that mean his rhetoric was overheated and amplified? “Politicians are always guilty of that, and I don’t exempt myself,” he answered.

Keeping track of Obama’s positions feels like being a spectator at a table tennis match.  First he wants meetings with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (among others) without preconditions, then he only wants them if they agree to stop sponsoring terrorism and funding militias in Iraq, which sounds a lot like a “precondition” to everyone but Barack Obama.  He wants to pull all the troops out of Iraq, but then tells the Iraqi foreign minister that he will be the second coming of John McCain.  He tells AIPAC that he wants an undivided Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, and then tells the Palestinians that he wants to divvy it up if that’s what they want.

Now we return to the scene of the first flip-flop to find another.  It’s great that Obama doesn’t exempt himself from being a politician, but wasn’t that the entire point of the Obama campaign — that he wasn’t just another politician?  Now the harbinger of New Politics, the man who would clean up DC, shrugs off an outright lie by calling it “overheated rhetoric”.

If we want just another politician, can we get one with some executive experience, military experience, and/or a legislative track record that exceeds what can be counted on the thumbs of one hand?

Obama wants voters to forget that when this issue first arose in March, Obama doubled down by insisting that the Canadians and Goolsbee had it wrong and that he opposed NAFTA.  Obama’s credibility keeps dissipating with every new day on the campaign trail.  Which Obama are we supposed to believe?  Can someone please strap a thermostat to his mouth to determine when he uses “overheated rhetoric” instead of telling us what he really thinks, if he now claims that a difference exists between the two?

Some embedded links in the cut and paste that I can't be bothered to make active. Those interested can click the main link and investigate further.

Phred

--------------------

Offlinezembla
Stranger
    #8543832 - 06/20/08 09:52 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

there is NO truth in that statement!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder