Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineIllusion
Stranger
Idea for fruiting chamber... advice please!
    #8079936 - 02/28/08 12:26 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

Im planning on doing poor mans pod (the one that uses geolite/lava rocks and an aquarium air pump)

Heres my idea and question...

If I were to have an aquarium heater in the 3" of standing water in the fruiting chamber, and attached an identical rubbermaid tub via hose to it acting as a reservoir keeping the same water level as the chamber, would that be a good idea?

im worried about contamination if i were to open the actual fruiting chamber, when the water level goes low (which would be twice as slow) i could refill it from the reservoir, and not open up the fruiting chamber

I could also light proof the fruiting chamber up to the water level, and the entire reservoir

Do you guys think this is a good idea, or might create problems?

thanks

Edited by Illusion (02/28/08 12:29 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Loc: Gondwana
Re: Idea for fruiting chamber... advice please! [Re: Illusion]
    #8079985 - 02/28/08 12:55 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

im worried about contamination if i were to open the actual fruiting chamber

How are you going to get your cakes/subs into the FC? Or, how are you going to the fruits out? If you are worried about contams just make sure that everything is fully colonized prior to introduction to the FC. Contaminates have a hard time getting a foothold on fully colonized (and young) substrates. If you are doing cakes, just give them an extra couple days in the jars prior to birth. If you are casing, allow the mycelium to colonize the casing before you introduce to FC.

Just keep it simple. The PMP works just fine the way it is. Provided you do everything the way the tek says, you shouldn't have much evaporation in the first place. Good Luck.

--------------------

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

OfflineIllusion
Stranger
Re: Idea for fruiting chamber... advice please! [Re: thedefone]
    #8080016 - 02/28/08 01:16 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

it said you will have to refill the water level more often if an aquarium heater is used

if i block the bottom of the bucket where the water is, i can't see the level.. so i wouldn't know how to check it. i figured adding a reservoir would be an easy way to check without contimination

i'm really scared about contaminates..
i figure if i dont have to even open the FC at all, then no worries. (the water heater will make it evaporate and ill have to refill)

but if you honestly think its just better to open the FC manually and not a bucket attached to the FC for water then i will do that, i'm known to over complicate very easy things!

thank you for the help

Edited by Illusion (02/28/08 01:17 AM)

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

#8080089 - 02/28/08 01:48 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

Chill out about the contams. The places you introduce contaminates is at inoculation, when casing, and when spawning to a bulk substrate. If you are simply careful, and practice good sterile procedure, you should be fine.

Remember that there are fruiting chambers that get opened and fanned out over five times a day. RR's shotgun terrarium has holes open to air 24/7. The best way to keep contaminates from getting you, is to make sure you are giving enough FAE. Contams thrive in stagnant air. Around 2-3 complete air exchanges per hour. Make sure you get a strong enough pump.

--------------------

OfflineIllusion
Stranger
    #8081658 - 02/28/08 02:12 PM (16 years, 23 days ago)

hm. What is the best way to check the water level of a poor mans pod, if the bottom section is light proofed?

Also, what is a method to add water back to the bottom when you know its drained?

Basically, are you saying- that the extra bin attached to the fruiting chamber could contiminate the FC, because it doesn't have an air pump in the water, and the air and water is standing still in the reservoir?

If i don't need to worry about contimination besides inoculation and casing etc... then i would think that adding another bin to regulate the water level would only make things a little easier.

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

#8081883 - 02/28/08 03:13 PM (16 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

What is the best way to check the water level of a poor mans pod, if the bottom section is light proofed?

Open the PMP and look at the water level under the hydroton. You should see it bubbling just under the balls.

Quote:

Also, what is a method to add water back to the bottom when you know its drained?

Just pout some in. You should probably boil it or something to keep your anxiety down. It isn't necessary, though.

Quote:

Basically, are you saying- that the extra bin attached to the fruiting chamber could contiminate the FC, because it doesn't have an air pump in the water, and the air and water is standing still in the reservoir?

No. I am saying that contaminates thrive in stagnant air, and that you are complicating something easy with this extra bin thing you're stuck on. Does Magash's PMP tek say anything about an extra bin? No, because it isn't needed. Instead of putting that aquarium heater under the hydroton, or perlite, or whatever, get a second tub the same size as the one you are building your PMP out of, and put water and the heater in there. Then place the PMP into the new bin, and you now have a tub-in-tub setup that won't evaporate water out of your PMP. For more info look up TiT, or tub in tub.

Quote:

If i don't need to worry about contimination besides inoculation and casing etc... then i would think that adding another bin to regulate the water level would only make things a little easier.

If it is so much easier, why all the questions trying to clear up a problem you ran into while altering the tek? The best advice I can give you is this.. Keep It Simple, Stupid!! Seriously. Just follow the tek, and the advice of people like Magash who have been doing this stuff way, way longer than both of us put together. Good Luck.

--------------------

OfflineVeter
Stranger
 User Gallery

#8081924 - 02/28/08 03:27 PM (16 years, 23 days ago)

Contams are ridiculously rare in a fruiting chamber -- provided your cakes are 100% colonized. Mycelium has to be weak to be eaten by bacteria/other fungus. Your cakes only get weak after fruiting a few times.

I suppose its possible for a cake to get contamed after its been birthed, but its rare as hell and worrying about it is pointless.

--------------------
Let the Demons have their place, if so, it's angels you'll create.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags