Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
FAFSA questions updated 3/5/08
    #8079610 - 02/27/08 10:29 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

after taking 2 years off, ive finally got myself motivated to attend college and pursue a degree.

i have been accepted, submitted FAFSA, and received my EFC (expected family contribution). I called my school and asked and they said I would receive an offer from them here in the next month or so.

my question, once I find out how much the school is willing to help me. How does this work? and what are the next steps for me?

Im guessing they put the money into a banking account and then I use it to pay for college-related expenses as they come up. Then get a student loan for the remainder of my expenses.

any advice, tips, ect? This whole getting myself back into school is a bit overwhelming at times.

Edited by KillerPicklez (03/05/08 01:29 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

Re: FAFSA questions [Re: KillerPicklez]
    #8079652 - 02/27/08 10:40 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

they dont give you a bank account..

they charge you the same but your student banking dept takes care of it when they add in university $$ and calc how much you owe or your refund

scholarships rule.

Offlinejenns_hot
Hungry
Male User Gallery

Loc: East Coast Flag
Re: FAFSA questions [Re: im_on_a_boat]
    #8079671 - 02/27/08 10:45 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

FAFSA announces how much they will pay to the Financial Aid office at the school, and then sends a check to your house a couple months later. I think that in my case, I was still responsible for paying my school the full tuition, but I got a big FAFSA check in the mail a couple months into the semester. It could be different in different places though, so check with the financial aid department and see what they have to say. Good luck.

--------------------
"Fear makes the wolf look bigger"

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: FAFSA questions [Re: jenns_hot]
    #8079682 - 02/27/08 10:48 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

In my experience, FAFSA will approve you for a certain dollar amount.

They will send this check to your school which will then pay your tuition and other fees and mail you a check for the excess.

It looks like this varies with location though...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: FAFSA questions [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #8079764 - 02/27/08 11:08 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

they are killing me with all these fee's, i had to pay 100$ for orientation and 125 for my housing application already. im hoping i get to go for nearly free. between my mother and I we only made 30k combined last year. 8k of which was my personal income.

InvisibleLiquidkick
H2O
    #8082997 - 02/28/08 07:18 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

umm....your financial aid get deducted directly from the amount you owe.

If you have more aid then what you owe, a check gets mailed to you and it will be from your college.

Scholarships tend to give you a check made out to you or they send it directly to your aid office.

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: FAFSA questions [Re: Liquidkick]
    #8084113 - 02/28/08 11:07 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I havent even applied for scholarships yet, thanks for the reminder. I need to get on that shit, hopefully I can get atleast a couple hundred even if it just helps to pay for books.

I looked through the scholarships offered through ASU and I dont really fit the criteria for any of them. Anyone have any links for national scholarships?

Edited by KillerPicklez (02/29/08 12:45 AM)

InvisibleDieCommie

#8084631 - 02/29/08 01:15 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

KillerPicklez said:I looked through the scholarships offered through ASU and I dont really fit the criteria for any of them. Anyone have any links for national scholarships?

lol, you and me both. I have been trying to get scholarships for three and a half years now at ASU and have gotten zero. I have come to the conclusion that you must be a minority, or a stellar 4.0 undergrad researcher to get one. European descended males need not apply, so depending on your demographic, your probably screwed.

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: FAFSA questions [Re: DieCommie]
    #8084869 - 02/29/08 03:13 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Quote:

KillerPicklez said:I looked through the scholarships offered through ASU and I dont really fit the criteria for any of them. Anyone have any links for national scholarships?

lol, you and me both. I have been trying to get scholarships for three and a half years now at ASU and have gotten zero. I have come to the conclusion that you must be a minority, or a stellar 4.0 undergrad researcher to get one. European descended males need not apply, so depending on your demographic, your probably screwed.

thats funny, i was reading through each one and telling myself geez if i was native american my life would be made. seems there is less and less help for the average white male.

have you looked into national scholarships at all? I didnt have the energy to power through google this evening but a friend said there are quite a few out there.

InvisibleDieCommie

#8086431 - 02/29/08 02:34 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I used to look everywhere, and spent a lot of time. Every year that goes by, I look less and less. I have never got one, despite good grades. I will probably never look again.

If you have the energy to power through google and actually get one, it will be well worth your time. When I would look for national ones, I would look at societies that pertain to my major. For example, since my major is physics, I would look at the society of physics students and american physical society websites.

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8086970 - 02/29/08 04:45 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

thats an idea as well, i'll majoring in accountancy. im hoping to be staying in the hassayampa academic village, so maybe ill see you around. being a 21 year old freshman is going to have its perks.

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8106156 - 03/05/08 01:32 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

what bullshit, im getting a whopping 2,990$ in assistance per semester. this leaves me to get loans for 12,540 per semester or 25,000 for my freshman year. I must admit I was expecting a little more in financial aid.

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#8106200 - 03/05/08 01:44 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Welcome to the 7th year of the Bush Presidency!

:crazy:

I saw my Federal Stafford Loan amounts drop precipitously every year until I graduated last year.  Apparently G-Dub has absolutely no interest in promoting the higher education of young Americans.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8106215 - 03/05/08 01:48 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
Welcome to the 7th year of the Bush Presidency!

:crazy:

I saw my Federal Stafford Loan amounts drop precipitously every year until I graduated last year.  Apparently G-Dub has absolutely no interest in promoting the higher education of young Americans.

Its quite bullshit when my entire family income was 30,000$ and the cost of 1 school year is 31,000 and the feel I am only eligible for 3,000$ of assistance.

I think I will get a boost on next years income tax return though.

Oh well I will have to bust ass my freshman year and hopefully make myself eligible for scholarships my sophomore year.

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#8106249 - 03/05/08 01:58 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

A job helps too.

I worked the whole time I was in school...

--------------------

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8106291 - 03/05/08 02:08 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
A job helps too.

I worked the whole time I was in school...

I was hoping to only work 10-20 hours per week. Looks like a lot of these loans dont need to be re-paid until 6 months after you graduate so I should get by alright with just a part-time job for personal expenses and to start saving.

Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

#8107217 - 03/05/08 05:41 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

come on i dont even have to pay for school and i work at least 25 hours a week @ 9.50/hr..

on top of 16 hours..

quit cryin.. be glad they give you anything.

your parents should have prepared better or mom or whatever..

maybe take your basics at community college? that shit's cheap.. get that out of the way..

InvisibleDieCommie

#8108422 - 03/05/08 09:10 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

KillerPicklez said:
what bullshit, im getting a whopping 2,990$ in assistance per semester. this leaves me to get loans for 12,540 per semester or 25,000 for my freshman year. I must admit I was expecting a little more in financial aid.

:confused:  $2990 is more than a semester even costs...  WTF are you going to take out 25grand worth of loans for?  Partying?

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8111507 - 03/06/08 03:14 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Quote:

KillerPicklez said:

:confused:  $2990 is more than a semester even costs...  WTF are you going to take out 25grand worth of loans for?  Partying?

Im not considered an Arizona resident.

Tuition- 17-18k for the year
Room and Board- 9k for the year

InvisibleDieCommie

#8111985 - 03/06/08 04:50 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Oh, thats shitty. Maybe wait a year to gain residency? Or go to a community college part time.

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8113236 - 03/06/08 08:47 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Oh, thats shitty. Maybe wait a year to gain residency? Or go to a community college part time.

Thats the logical choice, but I got myself so set on finally getting into college and getting my life together. I might just jump into this and deal with the debt.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder