Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSeraph in Blue
Stranger

Fakies when picking Pan Cyans
    #8067553 - 02/25/08 03:25 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

This question is for those of you with experience hunting Panaeolus Cyanescens/Tropicalis.

I keep running into fakes (rather presumed fakies) that keep fruiting next to my Pan Cyans in my usual "field of Dreams". There are two distinct species (wish I had a camera), and both look very similar to the blue meanies, with the notable exception that they do not bruise blue, but more of a greyish tone.

I kept one of the bigger fakies to see if maybe it will show some bluing by tomorrow, but that is doubtful, but what I'm wondering is if it may still have a small percentage of alkaloids since it does in fact leave a black spore print and looks very similar to the pan cyan's and grows adjacent to them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeraph in Blue
Stranger

Re: Fakies when picking Pan Cyans [Re: Seraph in Blue]
    #8067579 - 02/25/08 03:57 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

So I guess my question is, does anyone know if this may be another, possibly active Pan species?

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Houston, Texas. Flag
Re: Fakies when picking Pan Cyans [Re: Seraph in Blue]
    #8067584 - 02/25/08 04:19 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

lol your in the wrong forum go over to hunting here http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/3

I think one of them is Panaeolus antillarum

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Fakies when picking Pan Cyans [Re: implee]
    #8067585 - 02/25/08 04:20 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Also it is not active, plus tons of Pans and other mushroosm grow on poop :laugh:

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

#8067586 - 02/25/08 04:22 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Heres some white ones ive found on cow poop, im not sure what they are exactly though i havent looked them up

This year im going to find real copes though :laugh:

OfflineSeraph in Blue
Stranger

#8068115 - 02/25/08 10:22 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

implee said:
lol your in the wrong forum go over to hunting here http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/3

I think one of them is Panaeolus antillarum

Wow, didn't even know there was a hunting forum. Opps.

I just found out that one of the more distinct species I ran into were immature shaggy manes, supposedly good eating.

OfflineSeraph in Blue
Stranger

#8068125 - 02/25/08 10:26 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

implee said:
Heres some white ones ive found on cow poop, im not sure what they are exactly though i havent looked them up

This year im going to find real copes though :laugh:

That 4th picture from the top definitely looks like one of the fakes I see, except the ones I run into are about twice that size. The bruising is definitely that grey-ish tone though.

It's lame that they're inactive. During the day, I can easily avoid these fakers, but at night I usually end up with a bag more than a third filled up with fakes.

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Fakies when picking Pan Cyans (moved) [Re: Seraph in Blue]
    #8068274 - 02/25/08 11:35 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

This thread was moved from The Psychedelic Experience.

Reason:
wrong forum

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Fakies when picking Pan Cyans (moved) [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #8069020 - 02/25/08 04:00 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

OfflineSeraph in Blue
Stranger

Re: Fakies when picking Pan Cyans (moved) [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8069646 - 02/25/08 06:50 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panaeolus_semiovatus_var._phalaenarum

Yep, that's them. Now my next question would be, how do I prevent them from proliferating after I've gone and stomped all over the pasteur. I know even coming near them is risking spreading the spores.

I've heard that if you rip the out of the mycelium that it damages the mycelial nervous system and could kill it, but that doesn't sound right to me since I've accidentally done this to Pan Cyan's and discovered a week later another full, and bigger flush from that same pie.

Anyone?

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

#8069665 - 02/25/08 06:54 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Your not going to get rid of them, they spread spores on their own. The spores will blow from all over sorry

OfflineSeraph in Blue
Stranger

Re: Fakies when picking Pan Cyans (moved) [Re: implee]
    #8069683 - 02/25/08 07:02 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

implee said:
Your not going to get rid of them, they spread spores on their own. The spores will blow from all over sorry

I realize this, I guess what I am asking is how to best minimize the spread. After thinking about it, I may have answered my own question which would be to simply leave them be and not handle or disturb them in any way.

Right?

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

#8069707 - 02/25/08 07:08 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

i guess so...

But with the same logic you could take all your copes and cubes, spore print them on a T-Shirt then go hunting in that t-shirt... so you will be spreading tons more cope/cube spores and leaving the other ones alone.

OfflineSeraph in Blue
Stranger

#8069731 - 02/25/08 07:14 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

implee said:
i guess so...

But with the same logic you could take all your copes and cubes, spore print them on a T-Shirt then go hunting in that t-shirt... so you will be spreading tons more cope/cube spores and leaving the other ones alone.

Haha, sounds silly, but at least in theory, it's worth a shot. Ya never know.

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

#8069741 - 02/25/08 07:17 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

What do you mean it sounds silly?!??!

If picking up inactive mushrooms will spread the spores sooo much that it will make them grow all around your field, then why wouldnt printing all your mushrooms on your shirt to spread htem around the field not do the same thing but more efficiently?

You could also go around with pan cyan liquid cultures spraying all the patties... Then let the mycelium fight it out

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8070305 - 02/25/08 09:33 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

You could also spore print all the good mushrooms and then before you go out wash the prints into water and put it into a spray bottle and mist all the fresh pies with it.

But a better way would be to start from mycelium rather than spore - Take a good producing patty, grind it up into medium to small chunks, and mix that into fresh pies.

OfflineSeraph in Blue
Stranger

Re: Fakies when picking Pan Cyans (moved) [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8071465 - 02/26/08 06:24 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
You could also spore print all the good mushrooms and then before you go out wash the prints into water and put it into a spray bottle and mist all the fresh pies with it.

But a better way would be to start from mycelium rather than spore - Take a good producing patty, grind it up into medium to small chunks, and mix that into fresh pies.

I've always been told that if you make spore prints from wild mushrooms as is, they are inherently contaminated and won't do much. I'm sure there is a way to do it, but I'm no expert mycologist so I haven't the foggiest.

Also, where I go hunting, I go under the guise of a fisherman, and sometimes I even do a bit of fishing, but a spray bottle would look suspicious. Over here law enforcement seems to practice selective enforcement though, since they have much more important things to deal with so I may give it a shot.

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Loc: Montana
Trusted Identifier
    #8071756 - 02/26/08 09:33 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

>I've always been told that if you make spore prints from wild mushrooms as is, they are inherently contaminated and won't do much. I'm sure there is a way to do it, but I'm no expert mycologist so I haven't the foggiest.

That refers to indoor cultivation from sporeprint.  The wild cubes/copes you pick have a natural built up defense system against other fungus/bacteria from the same region.  Thus, printing cubes and either wearing the spores, or spraying the spores is a good way of selecting where spores go.  Think about it, spores released from wild mushrooms have an eqaual chance of getting contminated as spores spread from prints off those mushrooms!  The only difference is, with print spreading, you are directing the spores toward desirable habitat.:smile2:

But, the colonized poop spreading method is even better, because the mycelium is already there, eliminating the spore germination step.:mushroom2:

--------------------

Edited by landsnorkler (02/26/08 09:35 AM)

OfflineSeraph in Blue
Stranger

Re: Fakies when picking Pan Cyans (moved) [Re: landsnorkler]
    #8073683 - 02/26/08 05:51 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

landsnorkler said:
>I've always been told that if you make spore prints from wild mushrooms as is, they are inherently contaminated and won't do much. I'm sure there is a way to do it, but I'm no expert mycologist so I haven't the foggiest.

That refers to indoor cultivation from sporeprint.  The wild cubes/copes you pick have a natural built up defense system against other fungus/bacteria from the same region.  Thus, printing cubes and either wearing the spores, or spraying the spores is a good way of selecting where spores go.  Think about it, spores released from wild mushrooms have an eqaual chance of getting contminated as spores spread from prints off those mushrooms!  The only difference is, with print spreading, you are directing the spores toward desirable habitat.:smile2:

But, the colonized poop spreading method is even better, because the mycelium is already there, eliminating the spore germination step.:mushroom2:

I'll be pleased to report that I have had my first flush of my outdoor grow today! And that's with using a very rudimentary set-up with just varying sizes and layers of colonized dung and hay! I have about 7 very adolescent Pan Cyan's already beginning to show some bluing! Go me.

InvisibleSLASHpro
hunter-gatherer...tripper
Male

Loc: Texas
    #8073710 - 02/26/08 05:56 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

implee said:
i guess so...

i'd wear that shirt.  sounds like a new fashion! :thumbup:

--------------------
"All that you touch, see, taste, feel, love, hate, distrust, save, give, deal, buy, beg, borrow, or steal,
all you create, destroy, do, say, all that you eat, and everyone you meet,
all that you slight, and everyone you fight, all that is now, all that is gone, all that's to come,
and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moooooooooooooon!"
- Roger Waters :darkside:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder