Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery
Loc: Elsewhere.
First attempt at "bulk growing"
    #8011176 - 02/11/08 10:12 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Eh. So, this is a first attempt at growing with bulk substrate. The substrate consists of roughly 80% timothy hay and 20% cow manure compost (whitney farms). They seem to be doing decent, I think. These were spawned from a pint jar of fully colonized GT corn jars. There are two, and they are from the same jar. It's been about a week, actually a little over. The temp is inconsistent because, well, I actually don't know why. It ranges from 74 to 78 (ambient room temp). Most of the time its right around 75 to 77. Anyway, I just want some opinions and/or suggestions. Anything would help. Thanks.

--------------------
"If I had a single wish, I would have every single human on this planet see this natural world the way I see it; the beauty in such simple things such as a fallen tree that is covered in moss and that has new trees growing from it. To some, fallen trees are ugly. But in reality, it is the circle of life at its finest. This is a beautiful world, its time that we recognize that before its all gone."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehazey
Male

Re: First attempt at "bulk growing" [Re: misos]
    #8011926 - 02/12/08 02:42 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

hay? hmm... it looks alive.

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: First attempt at "bulk growing" [Re: hazey]
    #8011948 - 02/12/08 02:58 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Hrm.. hay?! hope to see the results! Never seen a hay fruiting, its not very contam resistant. Though a small tray like that you might have enought spawn to fruit before the baddies wake up.

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery
Re: First attempt at "bulk growing" [Re: Civ]
    #8012754 - 02/12/08 10:41 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah.... I know. Hay is supposedly the devil. I went through and gathered mainly only the straw part of it, so half of the bag of hay ended up getting wasted. :/ Whatev. I guess we'll see.

--------------------
"If I had a single wish, I would have every single human on this planet see this natural world the way I see it; the beauty in such simple things such as a fallen tree that is covered in moss and that has new trees growing from it. To some, fallen trees are ugly. But in reality, it is the circle of life at its finest. This is a beautiful world, its time that we recognize that before its all gone."

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

Re: First attempt at "bulk growing" *UPDATE* [Re: misos]
    #8066093 - 02/24/08 08:13 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

Ok, so, some of you wanted to see if the whole timothy hay and cow manure thing is working. Well, I have a few pics for you. You decide if it is working.

The jar in the background is just H2O2 and water with an air stone. Some say it doesn't work to raise humidity. So far, for me anyway, it has done just that. My humidity is consitently in the 80's. Also, I have picked about 10 mushrooms from the two of these, mainly from the green tray. They are a little small because the substrate depth is only about 2 inches. So far, I have about an eigth dried.

--------------------

Offlinecobb
noob
Male

Loc: ohio
    #8066114 - 02/24/08 08:18 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

Nice:grin:

--------------------
America land of controlled freedom

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #8066116 - 02/24/08 08:18 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

Not awful, but you got a weak pinset. You might want to increase your humidity from the 80's up to 92-99% rH for some better results.

I have no experience with hay, so I cant give specific feedback about your spawn, only to try patching and maybe allowing the spawn to colonize longer before fruiting for a better pinset.

What kind of lighting did they receive during fruiting? Strong lighting from the proper spectrum can greatly increase your pinset (as I have recently learned from RR and Hyphae)

InvisibleRoYaL_fLuSh
Stranger
Male

Loc: UK
    #8066127 - 02/24/08 08:20 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

thats not bulk .. glad u had some success though

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

Re: First attempt at "bulk growing" *UPDATE* [Re: KillerPicklez]
    #8066142 - 02/24/08 08:22 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

Yeah, I tried on the pinset thing, but, this is only my second succesful grow. It is REALLY uneven. As for lighting, I don't know WTF they are. Just some little lights like you would put up in your entertainment center I guess. I think they're technically called puck lights. I am a learnin'. Ocassionally my RH will jump to about 93% or so, until I lay some FAE on it. Also, those trays are only about 8 inches across. They're really little. Thanks for the reply.

--------------------

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

Re: First attempt at "bulk growing" *UPDATE* [Re: RoYaL_fLuSh]
    #8066151 - 02/24/08 08:23 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

Yeah, *bulk like* is more like it. Just in the sense that I am using hay and manure... I guess. I just wanted to test out the hay/manure idea before commiting to a monotub, which is my next plan of attack.

--------------------

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

#8066154 - 02/24/08 08:25 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

I've read hyphaes pinning strat, and did just about everything that he suggests... What else could you recommend?

--------------------

InvisibleRoYaL_fLuSh
Stranger
Male

Loc: UK
    #8066162 - 02/24/08 08:27 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

monos are easier than casing trays in my opinion .. u spawn them then leave them alone .. much less interaction .. i skipped casings altogeter and went from cakes to monos b4 my first cake ever fruited and am having great success .. cheers

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8066182 - 02/24/08 08:30 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

misos said:
I've read hyphaes pinning strat, and did just about everything that he suggests... What else could you recommend?

proper lighting is an area ive be lazy on as well, use the search engine a bit and find out about the proper light spectrum to use. I think RR recommends something around 6500K but I could be completely wrong about that.

Id just recommend to keep experimenting with some different spawns and casing layers.

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

#8066198 - 02/24/08 08:35 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Highly appreciated.... Gotta question though. Would it be really unrealistic to add some sterilized rye grain to a hay and manure spawn? I have been thinking about it. Just a different source of nutrients.. Maybe I'll just try it and see what happens. Thanks again.

--------------------

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8066231 - 02/24/08 08:44 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

I just dont think hay is the greatest choice for a spawn, id try using something else. As for Rye Grain, it works great.

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

#8066533 - 02/24/08 09:51 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

Any recommendations?

--------------------

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8066536 - 02/24/08 09:52 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

50/50 +

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

#8066576 - 02/24/08 10:02 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

... Wait, spawn to 50/50+? Or use 50/50 as a casing? My casing layer is indeed 50/50.

--------------------

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8066592 - 02/24/08 10:06 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

misos said:
... Wait, spawn to 50/50+? Or use 50/50 as a casing? My casing layer is indeed 50/50.

Those casings there are cased with 50/50?

you could always try a grain2grain transfer, using your colonized grain to colonize more grain.

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

#8066605 - 02/24/08 10:09 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

Sweet. I hear g2g is supposed to rock. I have to travel by bus and train about 2 hours just to get rye... It's super weaksauce. Maybe I'll try it some day. Thanks for the help. Oh, and yes, those casings are cased with 50/50. Hort. lime, oyster shell, peat moss, and verm. Unless I am missing something...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags