Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinerobbyberto
Water Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Netherlands Flag
Re: All middle, highschool and college students sentenced to community service under Obama's rule [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #8056457 - 02/22/08 01:17 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
Why is it that Obama supporters here know so little about the candidate THEY support and ask me for links to learn more about him? :tongue:

Here-http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/NationalServicePlanFactSheet.pdf

I'm not an Obama supporter. I dislike him intensely. I just wanted another reason not to vote for him.

--------------------
“People say having kids is life changing, well that doesn’t necessarily mean a good thing, does it? I could take one of my legs off. That would change my life.” -Karl Pilkington

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: All middle, highschool and college students sentenced to community service under Obama's rule [Re: Ziggen]
    #8056480 - 02/22/08 01:22 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Ziggen said:
I believe that he is referring to a black man (Obama) who will enslave (mostly) white people.

At least, that's what I got out of it.

oh!

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: All middle, highschool and college students sentenced to community service under Obama's rule [Re: robbyberto]
    #8056481 - 02/22/08 01:23 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

robbyberto said:
Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
I'm not an Obama supporter. I dislike him intensely. I just wanted another reason not to vote for him.

gotcha!

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: All middle, highschool and college students sentenced to community service under Obama's rule [Re: Kombat Frank]
    #8056559 - 02/22/08 01:40 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Kombat Frank said:
I SWEAR TO GOD IM MOVING TO ANOTHER COUNTRY!!!!!!

If the government ever takes away my right to homeschool, or starts putting these mandates unto private schools, it will be my cue to leave this nanny state, commie country, it will have become, as well.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: All middle, highschool and college students sentenced to community service under Obama's rule [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #8056563 - 02/22/08 01:42 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

acutally he is not forcing people to do community service
he will offer them a $4000 grant for college

--------------------

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: All middle, highschool and college students sentenced to community service under Obama's rule [Re: crumblebum]
    #8056583 - 02/22/08 01:51 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I could expect somone with the user name crumb bum, to find a nanny government to wipe your ass for you, as an ideal. :tongue:

The planet already has commie countries with dictators. Ever thought about immigrating to North Korea?:)

I don't appreciate anyone trying to turn my Free country into one, including Barrack.:nonono:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: All middle, highschool and college students sentenced to community service under Obama's rule [Re: Coaster]
    #8056602 - 02/22/08 01:57 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

reply better corrected up ahead

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (02/22/08 02:42 PM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #8056634 - 02/22/08 02:08 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
Why is it that Obama supporters here know so little about the candidate THEY support and ask me for links to learn more about him? :tongue:

Here-http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/NationalServicePlanFactSheet.pdf

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2008/02/14/sarandon-obamas-pregnant-woman-abortion-rally

Quote:

Leftist actress Susan Sarandon was a big backer of John Edwards, but now she's going to shift and endorse Barack Obama. On Monday's edition of the Tavis Smiley show on PBS, she likened Obama to a pregnant woman at an abortion rally:

"Well, I'm going to back Obama. But I hope -- I think that he, as a symbol, has really excited people, and he's definitely confusing to everyone who really hates America for hating Muslims because a name like Obama and a black man, they're probably going to go "Oh, wait a minute -- What?" It's kind of like when you're out on the line for freedom to have an abortion and you're incredibly pregnant. They just can't quite figure it out.

So I think he definitely has convinced people that he stands for change and for hope, and I can't wait to see what he stands for."

Fucking daft bint.

--------------------

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: All middle, highschool and college students sentenced to community service under Obama's rule [Re: Coaster]
    #8056724 - 02/22/08 02:26 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Okay, back.

The 50 hours a year of community service for middle and high school students is just that. That's the one that most concerns me because they are minors being forced into labor without compensation. That should run against child labor laws. Not sure how he will get away with that.

For those who qualify, they can get a $4,000 tax credit, which would cover about two thirds of the tuition at your average community college. in exchange they would have to work 100 hours of community service.

Please note that the only way you can benefit from a $4,000 a year tax credit is that you have to be making enough money to owe the $4,000 in taxes to get it back in the first place. It's your money they are stealing from you and then, giving back to you in exchange for 100 hours of community work.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

#8056764 - 02/22/08 02:37 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

wow that is uber fucking WACK

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: All middle, highschool and college students sentenced to community service under Obama's rule [Re: Ziggen]
    #8057223 - 02/22/08 04:21 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

> I believe that he is referring to a black man (Obama) who will enslave (mostly) white people.

Race has nothing to do with it... all about softening up the younger generations to accept the idea of mandatory military service (long term goal).

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblebradmassive
KingOfTheHill

Loc: VA
    #8057228 - 02/22/08 04:22 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Out of curiosity what age to you think you'll be homeschooling your kids too?

--------------------
"In the beginning, I had no name. i was a shape, a snarling shadow of the Old World which slipped into this existence" - Steven Erikson

"Our progress as a species rests squarely on the shoulders of that tenth person. The nine are satisfied with things they are told are valuable. Person 10 determines for himself what has value." - My good friend Za -

Invisiblebradmassive
KingOfTheHill

Loc: VA
Re: All middle, highschool and college students sentenced to community service under Obama's rule [Re: Seuss]
    #8057231 - 02/22/08 04:23 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> I believe that he is referring to a black man (Obama) who will enslave (mostly) white people.

Race has nothing to do with it... all about softening up the younger generations to accept the idea of mandatory military service (long term goal).

Fuck that shit!

If that is the future the Orwellian prophecy is true!

--------------------
"In the beginning, I had no name. i was a shape, a snarling shadow of the Old World which slipped into this existence" - Steven Erikson

"Our progress as a species rests squarely on the shoulders of that tenth person. The nine are satisfied with things they are told are valuable. Person 10 determines for himself what has value." - My good friend Za -

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Re: All middle, highschool and college students sentenced to community service under Obama's rule [Re: bradmassive]
    #8057461 - 02/22/08 05:17 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

god i hope i finish college be4 this takes effect
i dont got time for this 100 hour bullshit

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #8057562 - 02/22/08 05:44 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

LOL

This will never be enacted. If it does, it won't be mandatory. It will probably be in the form of tax breaks or loan forgiveness.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: All middle, high school and college students sentenced to community service under Obama's rule [Re: bradmassive]
    #8057666 - 02/22/08 06:06 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bradmassive said:
Out of curiosity what age to you think you'll be homeschooling your kids too?

I just have the one, she's 11, would be 5th grade for her age but is doing higher grade level work.

Every year, I ask her if she wants to consider going ( to a private school) and so far, she is happy with homeschooling and isn't interested, thankfully. I would prefer to take her through HS at home, yet, it's her life and I won't force it if she wants to experience a more traditional school environment and curriculum at any point up the road.

I would insist on a private school though. We live in Florida.:tongue:  She went to one when we first moved here starting with the first grade and it was run like a NAZI prison camp. The faculty and staff from the principle to the lunch room ladies were big on intimidation, threatening and shaming students. I use to go in as a volunteer to help with things and I saw more then I cared to and took her out after 6 weeks. They had no honors or advanced classes for the primary grades either, which she needed to be in.

They are not even teaching the kids here in Florida to read or write in cursive so they can spend more time cramming useless facts they forget 4 months later, for the FCATs.

I'll let her go through HS at home if she wants too. She is a strong self led learner and this is probably the best way for her to reach her fullest potential. She is free to  fly ahead in any direction she wants to go and does.

That's our situation, why do ask?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Re: All middle, high school and college students sentenced to community service under Obama's rule [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #8057817 - 02/22/08 06:32 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

dang u homesckool em
dont they see u on the shroomery all the time lol
do they no about ur drug use
i used to think homeschooled kids lacked social shit
but i new this guy in college who was homeschooled and he fit right in

--------------------

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: All middle, high school and college students sentenced to community service under Obama's rule [Re: Coaster]
    #8058172 - 02/22/08 08:07 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

:lol:

I don't use drugs, never really have except for trying pot and shrooms a few times in my late teens. Not for me. I'm 39 now.

To her this is just another message board I read and write at.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineKetamineKatalyst
Skyhighatrist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Koma Kluster
Re: All middle, high school and college students sentenced to community service under Obama's rule [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #8058553 - 02/22/08 09:52 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

gettinjiggywithit, I respect you very much for homeschooling your daughter! If I ever do have a child, I would love to go this route, and give him/her a real education. Public schools are horrible in my experience...

--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutely ruthless and highly indifferent: it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not." John C. Lilly

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #8058650 - 02/22/08 10:24 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
Public/ community service is something we sentence law breakers to do for punishment.

No, jiggy, you are wrong.

People who go through the justice system are given community service in order to promote rehabilitation, not to "punish" them.

It gives them life experience in giving something beneficial to the community, to make it better. For example, say you are walking alongside a road, picking up trash, it gives someone a sense of the consequences that we humans create in our actions, something we wouldn't have seen if we never chose to or had to go and do (its something I've chose to do and had to do :smirk:).

It isn't punishment for criminals. Punishment for criminals is taking away all of their rights by placing them in a cell and simply leaving them there. It accomplishes nothing. It doesn't take into account the way the minds of human beings work. Giving people the opportunity to take on positive life experience helping others and developing a strength of character within oneself is a beneficial thing for everyone.

Quote:

How can our government force kids to do 50-100 hours of community service every year?

Its simple. Children who are enrolled in public school have to take the classes that the school provides, and if a college student takes Obama's $4000 tax credit for the funding of college, then they have to give something back to the community in the direct short-term in exchange for the community helping them through school, for the future of both.

In high school I took an environmental class, and we were fortunate enough to have a trout steam that ran through the town nearby. One day, our class assignment was to go to the stream. I believe we picked up trash, took water samples, and simply learned, through experience, how to care for a natural phenomenon for the health of ourselves and the habitat.

It would be no huge difference between a school requiring class-work community service. It is not as though some huge line has been crossed in violation of human sovereignty. Not anymore than school already is, anyways. I say that as someone who has went through public schooling. In fact, I would think that something like this is specifically for the education of children, because a lot of school is not effective in teaching children anything that is relevant to the life that they will live, whereas experience working with others and gaining a sense of perspective of the world around us most certainly will.

So, there you have it, school is school. The only thing that changes is that school begins to teach children about the world around them, to create not only a sense of our social and physical environment around us to help us live our life better, but also to better some aspect of reality that has not yet received attention, whether it is from adding to the quality of life of old people in a home where they do not get much novelty, something they would enjoy most in that time in their life (which is why I personally really enjoy the idea of getting old people a computer and Internet access in such circumstances, and teaching them how to begin to use the Internet. There are so many ways to be stimulated through it, and think of the wealth of information that would be obtained for the future :smile:), or by simply making our environment cleaner.

Obama also proposes a Green Job Corps. That might sound crazy to you as well. The idea of him providing jobs to people who have no real opportunity for good jobs to enter into projects that create a new infrastructure of the country for an economy of the 21st century, one that will respect the nature of our environment, and the quality of life for Americans. Roosevelt created a Job Corps after the Great Depression and it is one of the reasons why the country came out of the Great Depression - people were given jobs and new roads were built and bridges were built and it paved the way for a booming economy.

Quote:

Isn't this against child labor laws? Even kids working sweat shops get paid something.

No it isn't. Community service isn't labor.

Quote:

Last time I checked, madatory labor , without compensation, for the benefit of others, was called slavery.

It isn't mandatory, any more than going to public school already is, so nothing has changed.

Money is not the only way in which people are compensated, jiggy, and community service isn't just for the benefit of others.

It isn't as though children are being taken into cotton fields, or to serve in the kitchen of a mansion, or into some kind of machine in a factory. You know, its funny that you would be so irrational regarding this by trying to equate it with child labor, when, back at the turn of the last century, industrialists were getting away with all kinds of terrible stuff, kids weren't even going to school, but were basically living in machines. There are pictures of people who have grossly misshaped bodies as result of the working conditions they were in, even children.

For you to associate a positive, limited amount of community service in public school, already as much as an affront on individual freedom as it could be, as child slave labor is very ignorant, and it is fear-based. It is hysterical. We are talking about cleaning up the town in which one lives, or visiting loving old people who are just lonely and need to be interacted with, or working in a recycling center to lessen the footprint we leave on the environment through the trash that we create, or helping to teach others. Someone in this thread has already spoke for the benefit in such a thing, and I do as well. It isn't being any more mandatory than public school already is.

Quote:

WTF is it with Barrack and Hillary trying to turn the rest of us into their mini me's.

Egomania has no boundaries.

Ahh, the irony. :lol:

You're the one strongly reacting to the idea that children would learn from making their community and themselves better through positive life experience here. It isn't as though the children aren't still free to parents to evade the responsibility of interacting with them to prepare them for the life that they will lead. If you are willing to accept the existence of public schooling, then this isn't any more of an encroach on anything. There is more than one type of education that schools can give. Complementing the one that is predominant now (mostly textbook learning) with the one that shows children the world around them, gets them involved, and improves the quality of life is only being more wise in how children are educated.

The notion that community service is government slavery is ridiculuous. I don't buy the slippery slope arguement because nature is a system of checks and balances. Let's not engage in such emotionalism if we are to understand. :wink:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order