Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineRipVanWinkle
The Benzodiazethang
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Near Memphrica, TN Flag
Re: What do you trust? [Re: Broooodward]
    #8052365 - 02/21/08 03:29 PM (16 years, 30 days ago)

In some ways science IS a religion as far as I'm concerned.

"This study published in blahblah shows this, so suchnsuch MUST be true!"
"The bible says Jesus is the son of God, so it MUST be true!"

--------------------
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: What do you trust? [Re: Broooodward]
    #8052406 - 02/21/08 03:40 PM (16 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

Broooodward said:
you trust science as much as religion? Those two couldn't be farther from each other.
PLease explain How is science in the same boat as religion?

because both are polar opposites, just look at the theory of
relativity and theory of evolution, both theories still but
both being touted as the gospel by followers of science

Invisiblemayfly
Female

Loc: planet home
Re: What do you trust? [Re: RipVanWinkle]
    #8052409 - 02/21/08 03:40 PM (16 years, 30 days ago)

That's not the way science is meant to be taken, though. "Believing" in science is contradictory to everything scientific. I trust in the scientific method as a good way of determining fact, but I don't "believe" in it. Belief implies faith, which implies (at least to me) ignorance of fact.

Anyways, I think I've figured out what I trust, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing. I've always been pretty naive and I've always tried to assume the best of people, but lately I've been getting less and less trusting. For example, I don't trust my friends (despite few of them ever doing anything to break that trust), I rarely trust mainstream news/studies/opinions/etc, and I don't trust anyone to make decisions for me (although the latter two are probably good things). I don't think I trust anything 100%, as much as I'd like to sometimes. I don't even trust myself totally, and that's a problem.

I do trust that my dad and my dogs will love me no matter what. I'd like to think that of my boyfriend, too, but how can I be sure?
:sad:

--------------------
"The important thing to remember: if we ship all our fat-bottomed girls off to foreign countries, the terrorists win."

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buckeye Flag
Re: What do you trust? [Re: mayfly]
    #8052424 - 02/21/08 03:46 PM (16 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

mayfly said:
That's not the way science is meant to be taken, though. "Believing" in science is contradictory to everything scientific. I trust in the scientific method as a good way of determining fact, but I don't "believe" in it. Belief implies faith, which implies (at least to me) ignorance of fact.

Anyways, I think I've figured out what I trust, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing. I've always been pretty naive and I've always tried to assume the best of people, but lately I've been getting less and less trusting. For example, I don't trust my friends (despite few of them ever doing anything to break that trust), I rarely trust mainstream news/studies/opinions/etc, and I don't trust anyone to make decisions for me (although the latter two are probably good things). I don't think I trust anything 100%, as much as I'd like to sometimes. I don't even trust myself totally, and that's a problem.

I do trust that my dad and my dogs will love me no matter what. I'd like to think that of my boyfriend, too, but how can I be sure?
:sad:

I think we both have the trust thing in common. It was a shock to realize that myself.

--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.

OfflineRipVanWinkle
The Benzodiazethang
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Near Memphrica, TN Flag
Re: What do you trust? [Re: mayfly]
    #8052429 - 02/21/08 03:48 PM (16 years, 30 days ago)

Oh yeah, I trust my dogs too for the most part.

And I don't trust the scientific method either, as I'm a pretty firm believer that anything is possible, which is one reason I don't really trust anything.

I "trust" my dogs, but who knows, they could get rabies someday and attack me.  :shrug:

--------------------
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.

Invisiblemayfly
Female

Loc: planet home
Re: What do you trust? [Re: Kada]
    #8052432 - 02/21/08 03:48 PM (16 years, 30 days ago)

Yeah, it's really not something I think about on a regular basis. I don't know if I should try to work on changing it or accepting it or what? Maybe it's better just to go on being oblivious and ignorant? :shrug: I don't like that idea though.

edited repeatedly for stupid grammatical mistakes.

--------------------
"The important thing to remember: if we ship all our fat-bottomed girls off to foreign countries, the terrorists win."

Edited by mayfly (02/21/08 03:53 PM)

InvisibleaDoS
freedom lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: land of the free
Re: What do you trust? [Re: bradmassive]
    #8052441 - 02/21/08 03:51 PM (16 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

bradmassive said:
Quote:

aDoS said:
I trust my penis

You're an idiot.

no you are

--------------------
"If we could sniff or swallow something that would, for five or six hours each day, abolish our solitude as individuals, atone us with our fellows in a glowing exaltation of affection and make life in all its aspects seem not only worth living, but divinely beautiful and significant, and if this heavenly, world-transfiguring drug were of such a kind that we could wake up next morning with a clear head and an undamaged constitution - then, it seems to me, all our problems (and not merely the one small problem of discovering a novel pleasure) would be wholly solved and earth would become paradise." - Aldous Huxley
:drooling:GIVE ME OPIATES OR GIVE ME DEATH:drooling:

Invisiblebradmassive
KingOfTheHill

Loc: VA
Re: What do you trust? [Re: aDoS]
    #8052463 - 02/21/08 03:56 PM (16 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

aDoS said:
Quote:

bradmassive said:
Quote:

aDoS said:
I trust my penis

You're an idiot.

no you are

Thanks a bunch.

--------------------
"In the beginning, I had no name. i was a shape, a snarling shadow of the Old World which slipped into this existence" - Steven Erikson

"Our progress as a species rests squarely on the shoulders of that tenth person. The nine are satisfied with things they are told are valuable. Person 10 determines for himself what has value." - My good friend Za -

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]