Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecasgoodie
weedwright
Male User Gallery

Loc: terra
Lophophora spp. help
    #8042956 - 02/19/08 01:54 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

so i'm really happy i just got my first Loph. today, it came in the mail and looks, good, just slightly soft. i unpacked it and let it sit on my desk for now. i don't wan to harm it, so i'm asking what are the best tips for planting it. wait a couple days before potting? etc.

any help appreciated, thanks, pic coming soon.

edit: also for potting mix, what's best? i have horticultural hydrated lime, gypsum, bone meal, pumice, sand. what's a good recipe?

--------------------
TRAPPED IN LINGUISTIC CONCEPTS

Edited by casgoodie (02/19/08 02:31 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineroyer
±±±±±±±±±±

Loc: anywhere but here
Re: Lophophora spp. help [Re: casgoodie]
    #8043626 - 02/19/08 04:58 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

dont try to make your own cactus mix if you dont know what to put in and how much, just buy cacti mix in a bag and pot just like any other cactus. dont water for a few days then give it a little water. after that water when soft

lophophora dont like wet and cold

good luck

--------------------
=================================================
if you have any questions please feel free to pm me , thx :-)

Offlinecasgoodie
weedwright
Male User Gallery

Loc: terra
Re: Lophophora spp. help [Re: royer]
    #8044733 - 02/19/08 08:46 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

ok, so the cactus mix i buy has a lot of manure chunks, woodchips and doesn't have barely any pumice. is there a brand you could recommend by PM of course?

--------------------
TRAPPED IN LINGUISTIC CONCEPTS

Offlineroyer
±±±±±±±±±±

#8046180 - 02/20/08 05:54 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

contact me with more details but i have never seen a cactus soil with chunks of manure and wood chip

well pm me and we can talk futher

--------------------

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Lophophora spp. help [Re: royer]
    #8046657 - 02/20/08 10:30 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

any mix that is low in peat and has no ....wood chunks and manure....should be good. you want to avoid absorbant substrates. like royer said cold+wet=bad

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisibleSheikCorp
Stranger

#8051772 - 02/21/08 12:56 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I use a majority of crushed coral for my cacti mix.

It's mostly calcium carbonate.

I also mix in aquatic potting soil. It's clay, minerals, and zeolite. Some loam in the mix is good too and perelite.

I talk with some guys and they use 70%80% perelite and the rest standard peat based mix. Drains fast and drys well. They grow other plants so they find that mix easier then mixing and buying special ingredients.

Offlineroyer
±±±±±±±±±±

Re: Lophophora spp. help [Re: SheikCorp]
    #8051885 - 02/21/08 01:25 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

first if you use too much perlite in a cactus mix it drains Too much and does not hold water well, you water and it goes right through and you end up having to water you cacti every few days. also peat based mix is ok for other cacti but lophophora is a very fussy cacti and too much peat will hold water and cause rot.

if you go out and buy a bag of cactus mix and add 30-40% perlite you should be fine

the problem with people making there own mix is that they dont know what to put in, they put in what they like or what they think plants like and use it.

here is some info on cactus soil

-------------------------------------

Start with real organic compost
Once you have healthy garden soil, rich with healthy compost* you can make potting soil. But first you need the right compost. Compost is a substance called humus that "mediates ion exchange" to plant roots. Yet compost may contain either beneficial micro-organisms (aerobic decomposition) or harmful micro-organisms (from anaerobic decomposition). You can't buy organic compost from most garden supply stores. You have to buy it from an organic gardener (hard to locate) or make it yourself.

If you cannot buy it or make it you can steal it from a forest. That black, clean smelling stuff at the bottom of leaf piles is humus. In fact, early organic gardeners used to collect this stuff from forests to spread on their fields. But please do not think that cow manure is compost! Nor is "Redwood compost" sold at garden centers. Stay away from "mushroom compost" as it is a waste product. Sure, you can get compost from any number of people or stores that swear it is compost and I guarantee you it is either 1) not fully composted, or 2) contains wood chips that will rob nitrogen, or 3) contains harmful bacteria.

Fish meal (N), rock phosphate (P), green sand (K)

Your cacti need humus (compost) on the roots, plus fertilizer and minerals. Organic gardeners provide minerals with rock powders. Rock powders are a slow release source of minerals. Some last for several years. You can readily buy packages of them from most gardening stores.

The best cactus soil is rich, organic garden soil , Add to this 40-50% perlite for drainage and you have ideal potting soil.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale