Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineitalian1x
Stranger
Noob starting again after a few years
    #8047154 - 02/20/08 12:43 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I havent been around the boards much, but I am back and starting a new grow and wanted to get some opinions, ideas and general discussion going about my setup. I have already got PF stuff down cold so I decided after alot of research to go to the next level before I attempt to do anything major like bulk.
With that being said, I got 4 sryings on the way and I plan to do brf cakes, spawned to coir, then cased with 50/50+ I realise many people would tell me to use rye grain, but I couldnt find any and I also reaslise that coir isnt the best to spawn to, but I have seen some pretty good results with it on here and that combined with the 50/50+ seems like something my current skill level is capable of since I dont have any isolates or LC's Any advice before I begin or suggestions would be greatly appreciated or any past experiences with this sort of method? Thanks in advance guys!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Noob starting again after a few years [Re: italian1x]
    #8047177 - 02/20/08 12:47 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

cakes do no equal bulk no matter what. Breakingup cakes is not ideal no matter what. it can be done but....

If you have a pressure cooker and think that bulk is the way to go then use grain.

I am also under the impression that the coir may not be the miracle substrate.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

#8047196 - 02/20/08 12:54 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Definitely go grain. Just pick up a bag of wild bird seed.
If you want to do some LC make a jar of it, and use it to knock up the bird seed. It'll colonize faster that way, and it'll spread out your syringes. Coir is good, you can add coffee to it, or mix in straw and manure. I'm gonna do a coir grow soon, after my current manure/straw grow is done.
But definitely go grains as a spawn material and not PF tek for bulk.

--------------------
My name is Mud

Offlineitalian1x
Stranger
Re: Noob starting again after a few years [Re: DragonChaser]
    #8047205 - 02/20/08 12:57 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

even if im just going to spawn to coir and case with 50/50+? I guess I could try to find grains but everywhere I go I cant find them anywhere, and I dont have a PC so I figured you cant really do grains without one.

Offlinethashaman
Biophilosopher

#8047345 - 02/20/08 01:35 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I would suggest the following since you sound like you already have most of the supplies you need and four syringes on the way...

1. Go ahead and use 1-3 syringes of spores depending on how many PF jars you are planning on making. 1 syringe/ 10 jars. (assuming 1/2 pint).

2. Take the fourth syringe and make your own LC using the Snapple bottle Tek, which can be found under the mushroom cultivation section of shroomery.

3. Go ahead and colonize your PF style jars. once they are done colonizing, they should have shrunken a little. The mycelium retracts the  substrate inwards as rhizo growth takes over. Leaving the cakes in the jars, fill each with water and put the tops back on, effectively creating individual dunk pods out of the jars you just colonized in. Put them in the fridge overnight. (16-24 hours).

4. Post dunking, put the cakes into a large ziplock freezer bag, and wearing sterile gloves/or just wash hands if you don't have any available, crummble the cakes into quarter sized chunks.

5. Case to your favorite casing layer....I prefer 60:20:20 Wormcastings:Coir:Vermiculite. Be sure to pasteurize your casing material in the oven. Alternatively you can pressure cook/sterilize as you should have with your pf jars. Pasteurizing is preferred for casing materials as well as bulk substrate for various reasons. (Ask if you want to know).

If I were you since you have been off for a while, I would use this grow to have some fun and get some momentum/understanding back. You can use the liquid culture you made from syringe # 4 to start a bulk grow with bulk substrate on your next grow. (If thats what your interested in.).

Keep in mind the following:

1. BRF cakes rank among the lowest in potentcy because there is little utilizable nitrogen...Nitrogen is absolutely essential for high amounts of Tryptophan which is a precursor for psilocybin synthesis.

2. If you choose not to case, your yields can/usually will be substantially lower.

3. The higher the nutrition content of your casing layer, the more prone your casing will be to contamination. (Remember, the casing layer has yet to be colonized by mycelium.)

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!! :mushroom2::crazy2::mushroom2::crazy2::mushroom2:

Edited by thashaman (02/20/08 01:38 PM)

Offlineitalian1x
Stranger
Re: Noob starting again after a few years [Re: thashaman]
    #8047361 - 02/20/08 01:39 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

That was a really helpful post. I am pretty much going to do what your talking about and I do plan on making an LC. I want the LC for when I do a bulk grow with grains to hpoo. On a side note, ive seen many veteran members here get great flushes spawning to plain coir, then casing with 50/50+...What are your opinions on that?

Offlinethashaman
Biophilosopher

#8047402 - 02/20/08 01:49 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Well you CAN spawn to plain coir, but in my opinion you are just increasing your chances of failure. Ideally, unless you are doing a bulk grow with grains to h-poo or some other combo, you want to add colonized material to uncolonized material as few times as possible. There are a few reasons for this.

1. Nutrients are required for mycelium growth too. You want your nutrients spent fruiting mushroom bodies, not sending out new threads of mycelium since there are limited nutrients in BRF cakes. If you colonize in the jars, then spawn to coco coir, then case to 50/50, you have esentially spent three steps/many days, just colonizing. If you case strait away, you will maximize your yield.

2. Increasing chances of contams. Each time you colonize an uncolonized area, you are exposing your casings to potential contams. And nothing will make a casing go south faster than mean green.

Also, there are many 50/50 mixtures for casings. Do you mean to say 50/50 vermiculite:coir? I may be able to provide additional help if you are more specific. Again bro, good luck!

Offlineitalian1x
Stranger
Re: Noob starting again after a few years [Re: thashaman]
    #8047489 - 02/20/08 02:11 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah what you are saying makes sense. I was mainly thinking of this tek

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6043833#6043833

but instead of casing with more coir, casing with 50/50 peat, verm with some hydrated lime.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures