Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestephenblevins
Stranger
Shroom Hunting in Houston, Texas
    #8044442 - 02/19/08 07:51 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Hi i live in Houston, Texas. I would like to know what type of shrooms can be picked and when? please tell me where are the best places to find them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Houston, Texas. Flag
Re: Shroom Hunting in Houston, Texas [Re: stephenblevins]
    #8044468 - 02/19/08 07:56 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

You have got to be trolling me hahaha

Read Me!!! Yes You n00b: Mushroom Hunting Forum Rules

3. Do not ask what mushrooms can be found growing in your state or immediate area.
This information is easily found in the Mushroom Hunting FAQ and/or has been posted at least once elsewhere on the net. Also see this document: http://www.shroomery.org/8461/Which-mushrooms-grow-wild-in-my-area

Texas

Grows in woods
Gymnopilus aeruginosus
Gymnopilus junonius
Gymnopilus luteofolius
Gymnopilus luteoviridis
Gymnopilus sapineus

Grows on cow poop
Panaeolus cyanescens
Psilocybe cubensis (This is what texas mushroom hunting is all about)

Grows on rich people lawns or fertilized lawns
Panaeolus subbalteatus (sometimes on horse poop)

6. No asking when or where mushrooms, or a specific mushroom species will grow.
This includes, asking what habitat a mushroom[s] can be found- or their preferred fruiting conditions. This can be very simply answered by using the "search posts" feature: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/search.php

Your thread will get locked, so please read the rules and use the Faq and search engine.

Im in the houston area also, (around pasadena)

Edited by implee (02/19/08 07:58 PM)

Offlinestephenblevins
Stranger
Re: Shroom Hunting in Houston, Texas [Re: implee]
    #8044483 - 02/19/08 07:58 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

sorry didnt read the rules just trying to find a place, cause i've been wanting to do shrooms so bad i just dont know what to look for, nor where or when to get them. so i need as much info as possible

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

#8044489 - 02/19/08 08:00 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I just gave you the info, why did you skip over all the info and give me excuse.

I GAVE YOU INFOZ SAY THANKS PLZ

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

#8044569 - 02/19/08 08:12 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Check out the search engine and the faq

Psilocybe cubensis is what you want, it bruises blue/green and it had a golded faded cap

also check out ggreatones guide
http://www.shroomwizard.com/GGreat.html

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/search.php
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/faq2.php

OfflineThulsa Doom
Kosmokrator
Male
Loc: Texas
Re: Shroom Hunting in Houston, Texas [Re: implee] * 1
    #8044614 - 02/19/08 08:21 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

welcome Stephen...Im kos...I live in North Houston..and like to chill..Implee is my bud, so listen to his advice, he has lots of on-field experience. I tripped on shrooms last night that I picked yesterday..so read the PM i sent you and call me.

--------------------

Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

Re: Shroom Hunting in Houston, Texas [Re: Thulsa Doom]
    #8044683 - 02/19/08 08:37 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

yea.

whats up y'all.

good luck out there:

there were found about an hour away from north houston :laugh:

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Shroom Hunting in Houston, Texas [Re: im_on_a_boat]
    #8044690 - 02/19/08 08:38 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Last year? Im pumped for the season, its been cold/cool for too long :frown:

Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

#8044727 - 02/19/08 08:45 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

2 years ago.. haven't hunted in a long time.

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Shroom Hunting in Houston, Texas [Re: im_on_a_boat]
    #8044764 - 02/19/08 08:52 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Your avatar is killer :laugh:

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

#8045636 - 02/19/08 11:35 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

please take the time to read the rules first Read Me!!! Yes You n00b: Mushroom Hunting Forum Rules, and once you have found a mushroom please take the time to make a proper ID request. Sample ID request - READ BEFORE POSTING AN ID REQUEST!

What psychoactive mushrooms can be found in Texas?
Gymnopilus aeruginosus, Gymnopilus junonius, Gymnopilus luteofolius, Gymnopilus luteoviridis, Gymnopilus sapineus, Panaeolus cyanescens, Pnaeolus subbalteatus, Psilocybe cubensis

--------------------------------------------------

Psilocybe cubensis
These mushrooms are nick named “Cubes” also known as just “Shrooms”  Psilocybe cubensis can also be shortened to P. cubensis. This is one of the most cultivated (home grown) active mushroom.

Where do they grow?
They grow most commonly on cow poop, they can also be found growing on horse poop, but they arent found as commonly on horse poop.

What do they look like?

Cap
The cap when young will be almost completely golden colored, then when they get more matured they have a great golden yellow fade on top. When they get really old or sun bleached the caps can sometimes turn really pale and will no longer be gold or yellow. Sometimes the caps will have spores sprayed on top of them and turn a purple color. The caps can have a verity of different shapes due to weather or genetics. Bell, domed, flat, flat with a nipple, or just crazy shaped.

Closed caps are pretty solid colored

Sun bleached

Golden fade

Spores on cap

bell shaped

Crazy shaped

Flat or with nipple

Stem
Yellowish colored, and hollow, There is a veil present on the stem with purplish spores on one side and the bottom side (if visible) will be yellow/whitish/blueish/purplish. The stem will bruise blue/green when you squeeze it or break it in two. Also the base of the stems will probably have mycelium growing on them.

See the stems are yellow and have veils with spores dropped on them sometimes the veils are small sometimes they are big.

Cubes have hollow stems but Texas cubes are known to be pretty dense and sometimes are pretty meaty and solid and not so hollow inside.

Here is mycelium, its perfectly ok to eat.

Gills
Purpleish brown, sometimes they are sporeless and only have a light brown color. The gills will also bruise blue/green :laugh:

Bluing
The gills and stem will bruise blue or green

When can they be found?
Well in Texas people have found them all year around, even around christmas.. Its best to have around 75F-90F temperatures and a good rain storm... So whenever it rains for a decent while go out to those fields. If its kind of hot out, check under the trees and the poop around tall grass it helps block the sun.

Threads
Horse field cubes Ive found a horse field that was producing cubes, the horses ate grass, hay, and whatever other plants they felt like munching on... The field previously had cows and horses interchanged throughout the years but the poop was definitely horse poop that they were growing from.  Almost all of the pictures from this thread were found on horse poop. :laugh:

PinheadX found PLENTY of Cubes growing on mulch piles. Now it is possible that it could have been someones out door grow, or maybe the mulch/compost/manuer they used had myceliu found PLENTY of Cubes growing on mulch piles. Now it is possible that it could have been someones out door grow, or maybe the mulch/compost/manuer they used had mycelium in it or spores from the cow field which inoculated the whole pile. This is the craziest thing ive ever seen and it is in NO way common, but his finds should inspire you to keep and eye out everywhere for cubes even off the field. :laugh:
Never say never, MUTANT CUBE, zonate cube, and a polypore.

Panaeolus cyanescens
These mushrooms are nick named “Copes” dont confuse them with “Psilocybe cyanescens” they are not the same mushroom. This mushroom is stronger than Psilocybe cubensis. I haven't found a cope yet, cubes are my main mushroom so I dont feel I am qualified to give that much information on them.

Where do they grow?
They grow right along side of Psilocybe cubensis on Cow poop, I believe one mycologist has reported copes growing on horse poop but it isnt common. (I will try to find the documentation on this) Some cow fields produce more copes than cubes some fields produce more cubes than copes.

Panaeolus subbalteatus
Also known as “Subbs” If you read about people finding “Subs” they are talking about Psilocybe subaeruginascens NOT  Panaeolus subbalteatus so dont confuse the two.

Where do they grow?
Lawns that are taken well care of :laugh: check out Subbedhunter420's subb guide these mushrooms grow all over America in most every state they arent as potent as Psilocybe cubensis but they are indeed active.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7008112

Gymnopilus aeruginosus, Gymnopilus junonius, Gymnopilus luteofolius, Gymnopilus luteoviridis, Gymnopilus sapineus
Also known as “Gyms” can be found in the woods? I have never found gyms use the search engine for this one.

For more information check out

The Ultimate Beginners Guide to: Hunting The Psilocybe cubensis

Shroomery search, and FAQ

Edited by implee (02/19/08 11:35 PM)

OfflineCubensisCutter
mycologist
 User Gallery

#8045665 - 02/19/08 11:40 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

wow, bored implee?
very good though that will be very helpful to noobs

--------------------

thats right cubes in december bitches

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Shroom Hunting in Houston, Texas [Re: CubensisCutter]
    #8045673 - 02/19/08 11:41 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Well i always wanted to get the info together so i didnt have to go find old posts i made and copy and paste that info. So now its all together :wink:

Plus its a good reference of the various colors and shapes :laugh:

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #8045805 - 02/20/08 12:22 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale