Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineblackegg
...has left the building.
Male User Gallery

'Obamacans'
    #8036381 - 02/18/08 03:10 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.newsweek.com/id/107476

Susan Eisenhower is more than just another disappointed Republican. She is also Ike's granddaughter and a dedicated member of the party who has urged her fellow Republicans in the past to stick with the GOP. But now Eisenhower, who runs an international consulting firm, is endorsing Barack Obama. She has no plans to officially leave the Republican Party. But in Eisenhower's view, Obama is the only candidate who can build a national consensus on the issues most important to her—energy, global warming, an aging population and America's standing in the world.

"Barack Obama will really be in a singular position to attract moderate Republicans," she told NEWSWEEK. "I wanted to do what many people did for my grandfather in 1952. He was hugely aided in his quest for the presidency by Democrats for Eisenhower. There's a long and fine tradition of crossover voters."

Eisenhower is one of a small but symbolically powerful group of what Obama recently called "Obamacans"—disaffected Republicans who have drifted away from their party just as Eisenhower Democrats did and, more recently, Reagan Democrats in the 1980s. They include lifelong Republican Tricia Moseley, a former staffer for the late Sen. Strom Thurmond, the one-time segregationist from South Carolina. Now a high-school teacher, Moseley says she was attracted to Obama's positions on education and the economy.

Former GOP congressman Joe Scarborough, who anchors MSNBC's "Morning Joe," says many conservative friends—including Bush officials and evangelical Christians—sent him enthusiastic e-mails after seeing Obama's post-election speeches in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina. "He doesn't attack Republicans, he doesn't attack whites and he never seems to draw these dividing lines that Bill Clinton [does]," Scarborough told NEWSWEEK.

Plenty of Republicans are immune to the Obama swoon, of course. The Republican National Committee has emphasized a recent analysis suggesting that Obama had the most liberal voting record in the Senate last year. But even small numbers of Obamacans can help reinforce the candidate's unity message and bolster his "electability" argument. In Iowa, the campaign identified more than 700 registered Republicans who committed to caucusing for Obama (although staffers say they don't yet know how many showed up to vote). And in the Super Tuesday state of Colorado, campaign staffers say they found more than 500 erstwhile Republicans who were willing to switch their party registration.

Even if Republicans don't convert in more significant numbers, the friendly outreach may blunt the ferocity of GOP attacks. One senior aide to John McCain has already said he's reluctant to attack Obama: last year, McCain's adman Mark McKinnon wrote an internal memo promising not to tape ads against the Illinois Democrat if he becomes the nominee.

© 2008 Newsweek, Inc.

--------------------
'Pain is meant to wake us up. People try to hide their pain. But they're wrong. Pain is something to carry, like a radio. You feel your strength in the experience of pain. It's all in how you carry it. That's what matters. Pain is a feeling. Your feelings are a part of you. Your own reality. If you feel ashamed of them, and hide them, you're letting society destroy your reality. You should stand up for your right to feel your pain and leave the Shroomery.' ~ Jim Morrison

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: 'Obamacans' [Re: blackegg]
    #8036994 - 02/18/08 10:30 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

“...Obama is the only candidate who can build a national consensus on the issues most important to her—energy, global warming, an aging population and America’s standing in the world.”

This lying cunt is not a Republican....

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlineblackegg
Male User Gallery

Re: 'Obamacans' [Re: lonestar2004]
    #8037103 - 02/18/08 11:03 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Even if Republicans don't convert in more significant numbers, the friendly outreach may blunt the ferocity of GOP attacks.

I think people (even some politicians) are tired of negative, anything-to-win campaigns.
The majority of Americans are not interested in destroying and conquering the opposing party.

Unless someone scares them into doing so.

Even George W. Bush ran as a moderate, uniter of the people type if my memory serves me.

Of course, a lot has changed since then...

--------------------
'Pain is meant to wake us up. People try to hide their pain. But they're wrong. Pain is something to carry, like a radio. You feel your strength in the experience of pain. It's all in how you carry it. That's what matters. Pain is a feeling. Your feelings are a part of you. Your own reality. If you feel ashamed of them, and hide them, you're letting society destroy your reality. You should stand up for your right to feel your pain and leave the Shroomery.' ~ Jim Morrison

OfflineDonkeyShell
Strange

#8040314 - 02/18/08 11:36 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Obamanation is a good thing sometimes

Offlineblackegg
Male User Gallery

Re: 'Obamacans' [Re: DonkeyShell]
    #8041161 - 02/19/08 02:25 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Nobama...Obamanation...I'm sure there will be a million of 'em before it's said and done.

--------------------

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
    #8041342 - 02/19/08 03:14 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

donkey shell ur avatar reminds me of space mountain
fucking dopist shit evA

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: 'Obamacans' [Re: lonestar2004]
    #8042333 - 02/19/08 12:55 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

so bitter...

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: 'Obamacans' [Re: afoaf]
    #8042349 - 02/19/08 12:58 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

:rolleyes::grin:

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Jump to top Pages: 1