Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Fucking iPod is dead.
    #8038010 - 02/18/08 01:34 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

What a fucking piece of shit. My new nano, less than 2 months old. I treat this thing like a baby. Always in a thick leather case, never dropped. No scratches or anything on it.

So I put "White Album" on there this morning and disconnect it from the charger. It snaps out just fine but the screen goes dark. No amount of prodding will get it to turn back on. I take the iPod out of the case and there is clearly something rattling around in there.

I swear, I have never had anything but problems with all types of Apple garbage. Their computers don't work, their software is shit, and now this thing does this to me. It was a gift, I never would have bought it. But fucking still...

So now I assume I'm going to have to go through 15 levels of Customer Service and pay half of what the fucking thing is worth to try and get this fixed.

What a way to ruin my fucking day. Piece of junk.

Ugh.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMrMax
Royal Highness
Male

Loc: Omipotent
Re: Fucking iPod is dead. [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #8038046 - 02/18/08 01:41 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I feel your pain, I recently purchased a used 20g original ipod, still working last week. I wasn't expecting to get too much use out of it considering the older ones have moving parts which break in less than 3 years at best, but damn. I had this piece of shit for less than 7 days and I get the "sad" ipod screen, which basically means I'm fucked.

I still have a 2g nano, but its just not the same. I need to just bring my laptop and headphones with me.

--------------------
“People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle. But I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don't even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child -- our own two eyes. All is a miracle.” -Thich Nhat Hanh

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

#8038081 - 02/18/08 01:45 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I've had an old iPod for about 4 years now and it's never given me a problem. It froze once, but all you have to do is hold the menu button and the center button down for like 5 seconds and it restarts. Apple customer service is better than any other customer service I've experienced.
Check and see if its still under warranty. If it is, the repairs should be free.

--------------------
My name is Mud

OfflineDeadmaker
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#8038107 - 02/18/08 01:49 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Mmm, I have had a 20 GB Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen for more than 5 fucking years and it works likes it's brand new still. Good piece of hardware that is.

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: Fucking iPod is dead. [Re: DragonChaser]
    #8038108 - 02/18/08 01:49 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I'm sure it's still under warranty.

Its the new 8GB Nano Video, so they haven't been selling them a year.

I'm heading off the Apple Store now.

If they give me any shit, I'm throwing an iMac off the fucking shelf and running out the door.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleFurrowedBrow
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

#8038139 - 02/18/08 01:58 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

hold up.  press down the center button and the one above it for about 5 seconds or longer wait a reasonable amount of time.  i had a prob similar to this. and i went to the store and they gave me this hint.  i have had to do it several times since.  :frown:

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!

I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson

OfflineLiquid_Dimension
Lighthousekeeper
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Radioactive state
Re: Fucking iPod is dead. [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #8038159 - 02/18/08 02:03 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Fuck ipods,get a creative Zen

--------------------

InvisibleSell Your Soul
Nutmeg shaman
 User Gallery

Loc: Over there
    #8038187 - 02/18/08 02:08 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

The very first Pod I got - I returned after a couple days, only because the display got all scratched up, even though I never rubbed it against anything.

Since then, I got myself a 4-GB Nano (original type) and a 30-GB Video Pod - both still work to this day.

I also have my Creative Zen Nomad which I prefer, and its display still looks as though it's brand new!

OfflineMrMax
Royal Highness
Male

Loc: Omipotent
Re: Fucking iPod is dead. [Re: Sell Your Soul]
    #8038316 - 02/18/08 02:47 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Well, I just fixed my ipod. Turns out smashing the bottom on a pad of paper is the solution to about 80% of the problems you could have.

Thank you for getting me all pissed off at apple again, performing your own customer service is way better.

--------------------
“People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle. But I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don't even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child -- our own two eyes. All is a miracle.” -Thich Nhat Hanh

OfflineHighland
Jedi Knight

#8038332 - 02/18/08 02:53 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I bought one and didn't use it for like 3 months. When i pulled it out of the box, i got about 3 days of use out of it before it did the same thing yours did.

--------------------
Shine On

OfflineThe_Ghost
ゴースト

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USG Ishimura Flag
Re: Fucking iPod is dead. [Re: Highland]
    #8038343 - 02/18/08 02:56 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I've had my 30 gigs ipod video for over 2 years. Dropped it plenty of times. Never a single problem. Battery hasn't degraded either.

It's the only apple product i've ever owned.

--------------------
/ / / / / / / LISTEN TO MY MUSIC: E X E D / / / / / / /
The universe gives no fucks. And takes no fucks.
May His Circuits Ever Function

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: Fucking iPod is dead. [Re: The_Ghost]
    #8038381 - 02/18/08 03:05 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

yeah dude do a hardware reset.

hold the center button and the top button down together for 20 seconds (until you hear it start clicking or see it do somthin)

its called a hard reset, usually clears up problems.

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

OfflineHighland
Jedi Knight

Re: Fucking iPod is dead. [Re: ZippoZ]
    #8038415 - 02/18/08 03:10 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Capatalistc nomad said:
yeah dude do a hardware reset.

hold the center button and the top button down together for 20 seconds (until you hear it start clicking or see it do somthin)

its called a hard reset, usually clears up problems.

So getting angry and snapping it in half wasn't a good thing then? check.

--------------------
Shine On

Offlinecitricacidx
FunGuy
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: GA
Re: Fucking iPod is dead. [Re: The_Ghost]
    #8038444 - 02/18/08 03:15 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

You should be straight. Comes with a 1 year warranty, it may just be a pain in the arse to get through all the customer service.

I had a 30gb iPod Photo for 3 years before it died on me. I replaced it with the 160gb Classic and have no problems with it.

--------------------

InvisibleThin White Duke
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Fucking iPod is dead. [Re: citricacidx]
    #8038548 - 02/18/08 03:40 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Those 30gb iPod photos are awesome, I've had mine since it came out (about 3-4 years ago?) and it's still going strong.

Been dropped, crashed, subjected to water etc and it's still fine.

OfflineTangerines
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: woodwork Flag
Re: Fucking iPod is dead. [Re: Thin White Duke]
    #8038622 - 02/18/08 03:58 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Yea I have had my 30gb ipod video for years and use it everyday for at least 2 hours a day. The headphone jack fucked up so I had to replace it myself but that was cake.

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: Fucking iPod is dead. [Re: Tangerines]
    #8038653 - 02/18/08 04:03 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Just back from the Apple Store.

What a fucking joke.

I signed up for a "Genius Bar" appointment and had the guy who helped me (not the genius) tell me that 99.9% of the time they will either be able to fix it on the spot or they will send you home with a new one.

So I wait around like an hour and talk to this guy. He takes one look at my iPod and says "Nope, its shot."

Apparently the case that I had bought FROM THE FUCKING APPLE STORE killed it. The case is soft leather and it has a little metal nub on the outside that holds the clip. Well, this little metal nub, if you keep it clipped to anything for any length of time will press on the iPod's innards and eventually break something in there off. Which you can hear rattling around in there.

He says my only option is to "Trade it in" on a newer model and get like $25 for it.

I could seriously fucking kick someone. I am going to cal Apple tomorrow and bitch them the fuck out because this absolutely fucking ridiculous.

What total and utter bullshit. I BOUGHT THIS FUCKING CASE FROM YOUR SHITTY STORE.

Fucking Christ.

Does anyone have a tech support 1800 number handy? Because I can't find it anywhere on their shitty website w/out being prompted 100 times to buy some Apple Support nonsense.

Oh fuck am I angry.

--------------------

InvisibleSell Your Soul
Nutmeg shaman
 User Gallery

Re: Fucking iPod is dead. [Re: Tangerines]
    #8038656 - 02/18/08 04:04 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

One of the first things I did was get a short extension for the headphone jack.
I just plug whatever I need into the extension end, so the jack on the pod doesn't wear down.

Offlineskunkape
earth bound

#8038765 - 02/18/08 04:31 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I dont like apple... Mostly because of fuckin iTunes. I hate M4A files. Fuck that copywritten shit. I got a CD-R filled with music from a friend at college that was in M4A format and I got a virus trying to find a program that could break the encryption and make them regular MP3's. That virus in result cost me $100 to get repaired.

You should seriously consider getting a Zune. I got a 30 gig for $98 at walmart around Christmas time.

--------------------

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #8038783 - 02/18/08 04:34 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I've had my 80gb Video iPod for a while and it's still working.
My older 40gb iPod that I gave to my friend only just died and that was nearly 4 years old.
Trouble with technology is that it fails (and it comes down to bad luck). Sucks though; they should replace it free of charge if it died so soon. Especially since something designed for the iPod ended up killing it.

InvisibleCaptainKirk

Loc: gone
    #8038787 - 02/18/08 04:35 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

i despise ipods, check out creative labs, iriver...they are both good , i have toshiba 30 gig gigabeat..never had problem 1 with it,not to mention it plays alot of different file types

InvisibleSell Your Soul
Nutmeg shaman
 User Gallery

Re: Fucking iPod is dead. [Re: skunkape]
    #8038797 - 02/18/08 04:37 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

skunkape said:
I dont like apple... Mostly because of fuckin iTunes. I hate M4A files. Fuck that copywritten shit. I got a CD-R filled with music from a friend at college that was in M4A format and I got a virus trying to find a program that could break the encryption and make them regular MP3's. That virus in result cost me $100 to get repaired.

You should seriously consider getting a Zune. I got a 30 gig for $98 at walmart around Christmas time.

First of all, I have never downloaded a thing from iTunes.
I only use the program to load my MP3's onto the pod.

Second, the thing I don't like about the Zune is that if you transfer a song wirelessly, it gets deleted after three plays.
How lame is that?

Offlineigwna
The Cap'n
Male

Loc: New England, USA
Re: Fucking iPod is dead. [Re: Deadmaker]
    #8038826 - 02/18/08 04:44 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

killme said:
Mmm, I have had a 20 GB Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen for more than 5 fucking years and it works likes it's brand new still. Good piece of hardware that is.

can these be connectedd in the car to listen to?

through a cigarrette lighter thing?

--------------------
I don't believe in cops, bosses, or politicians. Some call that anarchism. I call it having a fucking heart that beats.

InvisibleSell Your Soul
Nutmeg shaman
 User Gallery

Re: Fucking iPod is dead. [Re: igwna]
    #8038845 - 02/18/08 04:48 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Any type of music player can be hooked up to the car stereo in one way or another.

Offlineigwna
The Cap'n
Male

#8038854 - 02/18/08 04:50 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

really?

i have an ipod but i've been reluctant to buy the car thing for it because its like 80 bucks and my ipod is pretty old. (for a video)

i wouldnt mind getting something more durable if it could plug into my car... then again, getting all my music from itunes to something new would be a pain in the ass.

and then, does the car hook up charge the creative thing?

--------------------
I don't believe in cops, bosses, or politicians. Some call that anarchism. I call it having a fucking heart that beats.

InvisibleSell Your Soul
Nutmeg shaman
 User Gallery

#8038861 - 02/18/08 04:52 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

You need not buy any kits.
Just get a cassette adapter thingie with the miniature connector for the headphone jack (assuming your car has a cassette player), and get a cigarette lighter adaptor with the same voltage as the regular charger you use.

Offlineigwna
The Cap'n
Male

#8038869 - 02/18/08 04:53 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

and what if my car doesnt have a cassette player :tongue:

cause it doesnt.

--------------------

InvisibleSell Your Soul
Nutmeg shaman
 User Gallery

#8038875 - 02/18/08 04:55 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Then you can use an FM transmitter to send the sound to your FM Radio.

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

#8038894 - 02/18/08 04:59 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

You can put some RCA cables into the back of your stereo and plug it into your iPod or any mp3 player. Get the RCA cables with red and white plugs that has a headphone plug at the other end.
Also, if you want line-out sound (rather than having to plug it into the headphone jack), you can buy iPod car chargers that has a line out plug and that connects to your iPod via the big slot at the bottom of it. Much better sound quality than headphone jack.

Offlineigwna
The Cap'n
Male

Re: Fucking iPod is dead. [Re: Sheepish]
    #8038910 - 02/18/08 05:04 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

well no, if i wanted to set up my ipod in there, which is way more probable i would just buy an ipod hook up for the cigarette lighter.

anywho,

back to the original topic, ipods arnt THAT bad..
i think they crap out every few years and apple offers to replace them or the batteries or something,.

--------------------

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

#8038943 - 02/18/08 05:09 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

It's not like once you set it up you have to leave the mp3 player in there forever. Just unplug and take it with you.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #8038960 - 02/18/08 05:13 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Fuck iPods imo.
and REALLY fuck iTunes. That piece of crap software.

Creative Zen.. iriver.. Gigabeat.. all better than iPod IMO.

--------------------

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Re: Fucking iPod is dead. [Re: Shroomism]
    #8038999 - 02/18/08 05:21 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I like Creatives, but they don't have anything with a large enough storage capicity for me.
I still have my Zen Xtra 40gb somewhere gathering dust. Also, iPod finally managed to make mp3s play gaplessly. Saves me having to fiddle around with putting Rockbox on it.
It's all about what features you're looking for out of an mp3 player.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8039010 - 02/18/08 05:24 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah true enough, personal preference I guess.
I've had a 40gb gigabeat for 2 years now and it's great. Never fucked around on me. Not too fond of the software though because I'm major OCD when it comes to organizing my music and it makes it difficult.. but itunes is just as bad in my experience. I've heard of people having their whole music directory deleted because itunes screws up :crankey:

--------------------

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

#8039049 - 02/18/08 05:32 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Itunes can definitely be a pain the arse sometimes. Kinda why I want biggest store possible so I don't have to ever use it more than 3 times a year.
I hated the software for the Creative Zen Xtra and sometimes it'd take ages to get it connected to my computer. I wonder if they've improved the software for their newer Creatives.

OfflineHighland
Jedi Knight

#8039063 - 02/18/08 05:34 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Now i just use my cell-phone for music. It actually holds a charge and plays just fine.

--------------------
Shine On

InvisibleSell Your Soul
Nutmeg shaman
 User Gallery

#8039067 - 02/18/08 05:34 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

One of the advantages of the Pods is that you get direct access to the drive inside the unit via USB.
Other players like the Creatives don't allow that.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
    #8039087 - 02/18/08 05:36 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

jus be glad theyre greedy enough that the got the money to replace the goods

i aquired my nano off a friend for forty bucks no doubt(highschool lol)
so anyway i jump outta a car hurlin a snowball to say peace when i wake up the next day and realize, tape check, ipod....ipod, i live with the thing i even jus recently got a ipod deck player from my moms so i was a bit worried jumpin to the only conclusion it was outside

BINGO there it is lieng right under the curb five feet from were i stepped out, only cause it had after the snow been raining ALL mourning

my furnace room and 3 days later i put it back on with all my songs intact

IPOD ftw

(sides the whole mp3 thing, but the conversions only a bitch cuz i cant drag out my old stuff off media)

InvisibleCaptainKirk

#8039125 - 02/18/08 05:41 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Yeah true enough, personal preference I guess.
I've had a 40gb gigabeat for 2 years now and it's great. Never fucked around on me. Not too fond of the software though because I'm major OCD when it comes to organizing my music and it makes it difficult.. but itunes is just as bad in my experience. I've heard of people having their whole music directory deleted because itunes screws up :crankey:

shroomism , have you tried www.mediamonkey.com ..i like it much better than wmp,which sucked ...i use mediamonkey for my gigabeat:yesnod:  btw i use the free version , you can even convert files with it

almost forgot , you can use this program for Ipods as well , i use it for the ole ladys ,works
great

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Fucking iPod is dead. [Re: CaptainKirk]
    #8039154 - 02/18/08 05:45 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

hmmmmmmmmm NICE... thanks :laugh:

:thumbup:

--------------------

Offlineigwna
The Cap'n
Male

#8039202 - 02/18/08 05:54 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Fuck iPods imo.
and REALLY fuck iTunes. That piece of crap software.

Creative Zen.. iriver.. Gigabeat.. all better than iPod IMO.

i paid for a good deal for some of my music tho.. so if i gave up on ipods and itunes now... i'd lose it. and the money i spent. (which is like a dolalr a song and only like 50 songs but still... 50 bucks down the drain.. i could of bought some weed.

--------------------

Edited by igwna (02/18/08 05:54 PM)

InvisibleCaptainKirk

#8039211 - 02/18/08 05:55 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

why not just convert your itunes files to mp3's or wma's..its really easy and theres alot of free programs

here ya go , its free and good..http://www.nch.com.au/switch/plus.html

or just use www.mediamonkey.com instead of itunes

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds