Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblet00th
something terrible
Male
Loc: the dirty dirty
new grower, where to go now?
    #8037196 - 02/18/08 09:31 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

so i am currently growing 1 pint BRF/pf tek cakes, with an RR style FC. now i have achieved VERY good first flush results (100+ wet grams per cake usually), but after i dunk and roll (between flushes) , and put it back in the FC every one of the cakes basically dies and puts out 3-4 shrooms (one time it was 2) on the next flush. That is just not acceptable to me. so i dont know what im doing wrong, because my first flushes are always very very nice.

now my question is, where to go now? i was thinking of going to 1/2 pint BRF jars hoping that i could just get a LOT of first flushes because of the shorter colonization time and then just keep doing that... or maybe crumble the cakes and case them? ... or maybe just go to Rye/WBS and case? im a new grower and have only done cakes, so i would prefer to stay around them, but i dont mind going to casings as well if it is really that big of a difference between cakes.

basically im kind of lost right now, i have no idea why my flushes after the 1st suck, but i dont like it. and i want a new (and hopefully very rewarding method of growing. any advice would be great.

--------------------
:partykid:

Edited by t00th (02/18/08 09:36 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: new grower, where to go now? [Re: t00th]
    #8037230 - 02/18/08 09:47 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

If you want to increase your flushes, spawn to bulk.

--------------------
If y0u want s0meting gr0wn right, y0u g0tta gr0w it y0urself!!!

Invisibleflavoraid
now with twicethe ketamine andopiates!
Male
Re: new grower, where to go now? [Re: Neobean]
    #8037528 - 02/18/08 11:32 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

if u wanna go to grains you need a pressure cooker.

it's much easier to bulk grow with grains. cakes aren't so bad though very consistant.

--------------------
coda said:
imachavel, Man you really need to do some reading, the amount of bullshit you put into almost every single one of your posts is absolutely astounding.

Invisibleshroober
Myco Junkie

Re: new grower, where to go now? [Re: flavoraid]
    #8037541 - 02/18/08 11:36 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

go straight to quart jars of grains, i believe PF cakes to be a waste of time if you are interested in mycology and not just "making groovy shrooms bro"

in my experience grains are quicker and easier, the only issue being you MUST have a pressure cooker, but again, if you want to get serious about mycology that is the first investment you have to make

good luck, congrats on your first grow!

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Cat's Cradle
    #8037548 - 02/18/08 11:38 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

yeah, I had the same concerns with PF cakes.
I think I'm going to do a monotub real soon.

--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

Invisibleflavoraid
now with twicethe ketamine andopiates!
Male
Re: new grower, where to go now? [Re: dill705]
    #8037565 - 02/18/08 11:41 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

grains colonize sooo fast with a liquid culture it's like a billion inoculation points.

--------------------
coda said:
imachavel, Man you really need to do some reading, the amount of bullshit you put into almost every single one of your posts is absolutely astounding.

OfflineiTrip
Electronic Trip
Male

#8037773 - 02/18/08 12:39 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

PF cakes untill you gain enough experience.

and try casing your cakes. ive had great success crumbling 2-3 cakes per casing.

Invisiblet00th
something terrible
Male
Re: new grower, where to go now? [Re: iTrip]
    #8038773 - 02/18/08 04:32 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

i've thought about crumbling cakes for a while now. would that just be in some type of tub, with 1/2 inch of verm., then crumbled cakes (would 1-2 pint sized ones work for one tub), then a casing layer? and can i do this after a cake has already started fruiting, as long as its inbetween flushes? or is it better to use new cakes?

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #8038877 - 02/18/08 04:56 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

You are ready to level up.

You are getting great results from PF cakes, and you're getting your bulk in the first flush! You are getting 3/8 to 1/2 an oz per cake! You can't do PF cakes much better than that. What more do you want from them?

Look into grains... casing and/or spawning... or take pride in the fact that you're doing it right.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Invisiblet00th
something terrible
Male
Re: new grower, where to go now? [Re: Rose]
    #8038924 - 02/18/08 05:06 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Cervantes said:
You are ready to level up.

You are getting great results from PF cakes, and you're getting your bulk in the first flush! You are getting 3/8 to 1/2 an oz per cake! You can't do PF cakes much better than that. What more do you want from them?

Look into grains... casing and/or spawning... or take pride in the fact that you're doing it right.

i think you may have mis read my post. the problem is not that i am achieving excellent results on my first flush, my problem is that after my first flush my cakes shit out, and only produce 2-3 shrooms per cake/per flush.

--------------------

Edited by t00th (02/18/08 05:07 PM)

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Cat's Cradle
    #8038926 - 02/18/08 05:07 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

On my first grow I had three jars colonize really slow, so I decided to case them. I had good success and now have  an LC of B+ and another of GT clones.

I think that I'm going to finish my Equador and Treasure Coast PF cakes and make LC's of these strains before I get some of the Sporeworks new manure bags. Then it's monotub time:mushroom2: :wink:

--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

Invisiblet00th
something terrible
Male
Re: new grower, where to go now? [Re: dill705]
    #8038941 - 02/18/08 05:09 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

so you had good success from crumbling and casing the cakes? more so than if you had just fruited the cakes themselves?

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #8039229 - 02/18/08 05:58 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ksinao said:

i think you may have mis read my post. the problem is not that i am achieving excellent results on my first flush, my problem is that after my first flush my cakes shit out, and only produce 2-3 shrooms per cake/per flush. 

And I think you misunderstood what I said.

If you are getting 3/8 to 1/2 an OZ dry from EACH CAKE on AVERAGE, in TWO or FEWER flushes, what exactly is your problem? What more do you expect a pint of brf to produce?

You are getting great results for cakes.

You want better results, STOP USING CAKES... and use the big boy teks.

:wink:

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Edited by Rose (02/18/08 06:11 PM)

OfflineJadis
..Just waituntil you seethe bats!
Male User Gallery
    #8039250 - 02/18/08 06:02 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I didnt really wanna start a whole new thread on this, but I am having the hardest time finding 1/2 pt. jars. I live in the states (s.carolina)

I've tried:

Walmart
All grocery stores in the area
Ace Hardware

and all of them just have like plastic tupperware and shit, but nothing that would really work for this. No where seems to have glass jars with lids. I could order them online but then shipping is like $12 :frown: Any suggestions..? I might just have to pay up..

--------------------
Do you realize that everyone you know someday will die?
And instead of saying all of your goodbyes,
Let them know you realize that life goes fast.
It's hard to make the good things last.
You realize the sun don't go down;
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinnin' round.

Invisibleshroober
Myco Junkie

Re: new grower, where to go now? [Re: Jadis]
    #8039414 - 02/18/08 06:34 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Jadis said:
I didnt really wanna start a whole new thread on this, but I am having the hardest time finding 1/2 pt. jars. I live in the states (s.carolina)

I've tried:

Walmart
All grocery stores in the area
Ace Hardware

and all of them just have like plastic tupperware and shit, but nothing that would really work for this. No where seems to have glass jars with lids. I could order them online but then shipping is like $12 :frown: Any suggestions..? I might just have to pay up..

are you positive you've checked at large grocery stores? they might not have 1/2 pints but they will certainly have more than plastic tupperware.

Invisiblelarge_dose
Melonhead
 User Gallery

Loc: Right in the Middle
Trusted Cultivator
Re: new grower, where to go now? [Re: shroober]
    #8039432 - 02/18/08 06:37 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Definately, i spent a lot of time looking for the wide-mouth quart jars just to find out that both local grocery stores in my area carried more variety of jars than a walmart or rural-king does.

OfflineJadis
..Just waituntil you seethe bats!
Male User Gallery
Re: new grower, where to go now? [Re: shroober]
    #8039435 - 02/18/08 06:38 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

bi-lo, ingles, and i'm going to food lion tomorrow sometime.

but bilo/ingles just had plastic tupperware (lots of it though), and like glass baking ware, but no glass jars

edit: oh and i asked an employee at each store and they just looked at me like i was retarded and they didnt know what a glass jar was. it was rather funny actually :smile:

--------------------
Do you realize that everyone you know someday will die?
And instead of saying all of your goodbyes,
Let them know you realize that life goes fast.
It's hard to make the good things last.
You realize the sun don't go down;
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinnin' round.

Edited by Jadis (02/18/08 06:39 PM)

Invisiblet00th
something terrible
Male
    #8040586 - 02/18/08 10:22 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Cervantes said:
Quote:

ksinao said:

And I think you misunderstood what I said.

If you are getting 3/8 to 1/2 an OZ dry from EACH CAKE on AVERAGE, in TWO or FEWER flushes, what exactly is your problem? What more do you expect a pint of brf to produce?

:wink:

i was under the impression that i would be getting 3-5 flushes on cakes, not one. that is what is disappointing to me. Not the weight that i have been getting, i am extremely happy and proud of that. but the fact that it's not repeating. i would have never done cakes to begin with if i knew i would only be getting one good flush per cake. maybe my first flushes are so big it uses to many nutrients? maybe the cake gets wore out? i dont know. i am very new at all of this. thats why i was asking about alternatives because i get a lot of mixed feedback, it seems people who use one method are biased towards that method and that makes it hard to make an educated decision.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #8041505 - 02/19/08 03:17 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ksinao said:

i was under the impression that i would be getting 3-5 flushes on cakes, not one. that is what is disappointing to me. Not the weight that i have been getting, i am extremely happy and proud of that. but the fact that it's not repeating. i would have never done cakes to begin with if i knew i would only be getting one good flush per cake. maybe my first flushes are so big it uses to many nutrients? maybe the cake gets wore out? i dont know. i am very new at all of this. thats why i was asking about alternatives because i get a lot of mixed feedback, it seems people who use one method are biased towards that method and that makes it hard to make an educated decision.

Well, first of all, people are biased towards what works for them. Pick a tek that works with supplies you can get easily, where you live, and you'll begin to like IT best. :wink:

I suspect your first flushes are simply so big they damage the outer mycelial network of your cake. Perhaps dunk and double roll (and patch the holes)? I don't know...

But really, you're getting the average bulk out of that one flush. You could let it happen over 4 or 5 flushes (like it does for most people) if it makes you feel better... but at least your way is quicker. :wink:

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Invisiblet00th
something terrible
Male
    #8042271 - 02/19/08 10:38 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Cervantes said:

I suspect your first flushes are simply so big they damage the outer mycelial network of your cake. Perhaps dunk and double roll (and patch the holes)? I don't know...

double roll? how would the verm stick to verm? please explain.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order