Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejelsert
Jelsert
Finer Points of Pasteurisation
    #803445 - 08/07/02 08:22 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I was thinking about the whole concept of pasteurisation today and was hoping that someone out there could help come up with some guidelines that we all can use as far as Pasteurisation goes. Do different things have to be Pasteurized at different temps, for different times? Perhapes some of the more experienced ones out there can shed some light on Pasteurisation of different substances, and mixes? For starters....
1. Worm castings
2. poop (earthgro)
3. straw <---does this need a water bath?

also, what is to be done about water content for Pasteurisation? SHould one add water before or after, both? Please help !

Thanks
Dave

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
Re: Finer Points of Pasteurisation [Re: jelsert]
    #807398 - 08/09/02 02:36 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Stamets writes extensivly on this subject.

Growing gourmet & medicinal mushrooms

The mushroom cultivator.

on straw, i personally have used two adaptations from suggestions in the books. one is to use a container into which very low pressure steam is passed through the straw. this has the disadvantages of needing a complicated setup, difficulty in getting even pasturization throughout the product, and difficulty in controlling the degree of pasturization.

alternativly i have switched to bleach pasturization. basicly this consists of dunking chopped straw in bleach water for about twenty min. i use about 50 to one water to bleach. then i rinse with plain water once. the product has a faint bleach smell when removed. the mold spots are visibly absent. the drained product is then layered in with spawn and allowed to incubate, etc.

Edited by tchyted (08/09/02 02:38 PM)

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
    #807963 - 08/09/02 08:11 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

please follow forum rules before posting, moved to standard cult so you will get replies.

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Chlorine pasturization: Timing? Concentration? [Re: tchyted]
    #2528540 - 04/05/04 05:03 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Well, here we have a few inconsistencies. Our own Shroomery page suggests a 2 hour dunk with a fairly low concentration, and this quote from Stamets suggests a much higher concentration for a much shorter period of time.
"alternativly i have switched to bleach pasturization. basicly this consists of dunking chopped straw in bleach water for about twenty min. i use about 50 to one water to bleach. then i rinse with plain water once. the product has a faint bleach smell when removed. the mold spots are visibly absent. the drained product is then layered in with spawn and allowed to incubate, etc."
Does anyone care to comment? It would appear to me that (based on my own edible cultivations) that straw immersed for the longer period colonizes slowly. WOuld the chlorine concentration have anything to do with that?
Any suggestions are solicited and welcomed.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
    #2528740 - 04/05/04 06:06 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

af always just puts the straw in a pot and lightly boils it for about 45 minutes...drains...cools in about 15 min she tells me...then mixes it with spawn

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Offlinerollbot
    #2528846 - 04/05/04 06:28 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

has anyone tried the wagner power steamer method?
i'm going to give it a try with straw and poo as soon as overstock.com gets them back in stock...

i hear its at the correct moisture content after steam pasturizing so it'd be ready to spawn once cool.
also it seems to be powerfull enough to pasturize large batches.

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Finer Points of Pasteurisation [Re: rollbot]
    #2530723 - 04/06/04 06:50 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

af always just puts the straw in a pot and lightly boils it for about 45 minutes...drains...cools in about 15 min she tells me...then mixes it with spawn

The word "boil" should never be used when describing pasteurisation, as it describes a temperature far too high.

-Odium

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Re: Chlorine pasturization: Timing? Concentration? [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #2532628 - 04/06/04 06:18 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Another very possible solution to my problem is that i failed to rinse the straw. Probably my source of error.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

Offlinerollbot
Re: Chlorine pasturization: Timing? Concentration? [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #2535754 - 04/07/04 03:20 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

boiled, even pc'd straw will work fine.

hlysht tch im gonna go look up that bleached straw stuff right now

screw heat
oxidize..pasturize..whats the difference if the bad shit diez
we get the same thing in the end?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates