Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineentiformatie
EvolutionaryMovements
Male

Loc: miami, florida
Mental / Intellectual Stimulation
    #8028021 - 02/15/08 04:22 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Hey, I'm going through a transitional period right now (waiting to be accepted to graduate school programs), and I'm finding that a lot of my time is being wasted. I really feel that my mind is being neglected, and that I should be doing something to maintain it. I don't neglect other areas of health (emotional, physical, etc), but I worry that my lack of intellectual stimulation will result in the permanent loss of mental prowess. I have begun to play a musical instrument, but that's quite the abstract approach, and I would like something more direct as well. I'm trying to learn linux and programming, but that's extremely tedious, and I'm kind of stuck at the moment anyways (trying to install Gentoo, but installation is giving me troubles).

So I would appreciate any help in finding ways to train my mind/brain daily. I love mathematics (Not just addition and subtraction games, but algebra and calculus and whatnot), but without taking a class in school, there really doesn't seem to be much opportunity for me to do anything mathematical (other than doing simple multiplication tables in my head whenever I get really bored or anxious). I also love learning new subjects, so I pick up "For Dummies" books, such as anatomy, Einstein, etc, but these don't really challenge the mind, they only provide information. Logic games are pretty nifty, but I really have no consistent source.

In conclusion, I suppose I'm asking for challenges to provide myself with every day, mathematical, logical, spatial, etc.

Much thanks for your time!
.Sean

--------------------
/opinion
.sean

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedjaxx06
Stranger
Re: Mental / Intellectual Stimulation [Re: entiformatie]
    #8028051 - 02/15/08 04:28 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

um, you can do my Differential Equations HW. That's a win-win.lol. Realistically though, I like to go to a Barnes and Noble and just read from time to time. There are many different types of books and mags to get into.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Mental / Intellectual Stimulation [Re: entiformatie]
    #8028302 - 02/15/08 05:28 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

You could try reading a book written in formal logic. I think Bertrand Russell wrote one...

Invisibleappleorange
Rainbow Technician
 User Gallery

Loc: Reykjavík
Re: Mental / Intellectual Stimulation [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #8028654 - 02/15/08 06:46 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

You remind me of my ex.

Every week, she found herself a new hobby to undertake. At her pinnacle, she was a seamstress, musician, author, pastry chef, welder, and a painter all at once.

She also had two mental breakdowns as well.

I think you need to let go and stop worrying about entertaining your intellect. There's nothing wrong about being second best.

Offlineentiformatie
EvolutionaryMovements
Male

Loc: miami, florida
Re: Mental / Intellectual Stimulation [Re: appleorange]
    #8030398 - 02/16/08 08:20 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Oh, although I may have impulses to try and be the greatest at the things I do, for no reason other than to be the best, I recognize these impulses as rash and adverse.

I have other reasons for desiring to maintain mental health. It makes me feel good. I enjoy the challenge. And the brain really does begin to lose functions, potential, and capacity as we age, if we fail to challenge it. Intellect is something I value greatly, and I don't think I could be happy with myself if I don't cultivate what potential I may have. Mind is such a terrible thing to waste...

--------------------
/opinion
.sean

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags