Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineburgerpizza
Stranger

Harvesting
    #8028002 - 02/15/08 04:18 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I read somewhere that someone harvests all his mushrooms before the cap opens up unless he's making a print. Why would you do this? Wouldn't you want it to grow bigger before harvesting? Is it easier to dry that way?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLSDevin
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: In a yellow submarine
Re: Harvesting [Re: burgerpizza]
    #8028036 - 02/15/08 04:25 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

because it is believed that they are more potent by weight before the cap opens and they stop psilocybin production at this time. I'm not sure if this is true but its been said allot.

--------------------
Check out my gallery, click on albundy.  :albundy:

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Loc: Gondwana
Re: Harvesting [Re: LSDevin]
    #8028048 - 02/15/08 04:28 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

It's less messy, as well. All those spores can turn everything purple.

--------------------

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Harvesting [Re: thedefone]
    #8028115 - 02/15/08 04:45 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Its not true, I was told from someone. Dont really know and dont really care if anyone else believes it or not but he claimed that leaving the cap attached increased the overall potency of the mushroom but the truth is psilocybin is 0.01% per a single dryed gram of cubensis. The potency can vary from substrain to substrain, usually introducing it to multiple nutrient medias over its development period.

For example, adding coffee to your rye soak defiantly gives the mycelium a alkaloid that not only increases the growth speed but its just adding a genetic nutrient profile to the mycelium and then when spawned to say coir/coffee grounds/hpoo the mycelium goes ape shit with the psilocybin.

I've grown out isolates on coffee and with no coffee, coir, coir/coffee grounds coir soaked in coffee and they're all potent as hell but rye soaked in coffee with coir/coffee grounds is defiantly a favorite for potency for me at least. Haven't had any problems since.

--------------------

Invisibledumbfounded1600
Stranger

Re: Harvesting [Re: LSDevin]
    #8028137 - 02/15/08 04:51 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

LSDevin said:
because it is believed that they are more potent by weight before the cap opens and they stop psilocybin production at this time. I'm not sure if this is true but its been said allot.

Please stop spilling misinformation...do a search and come back...That Myth is BUSTED

Offlineismokeweed
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Harvesting [Re: dumbfounded1600]
    #8028170 - 02/15/08 05:01 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

wait. so they keep producing the same amount of psilocybin after the veil breaks and spores drop?

I read that on a daily basis. no fuckin kidding. on this website. new posts and all.

SO the only reason for picking them before spores drop is less mess?

If they really produce the same amount of psilocybin afterwards then its not a waste in nutrients at all. I see this all the fuckin time here.

So whats the deal?

Offlinehazey
Male

Re: Harvesting [Re: ismokeweed]
    #8028593 - 02/15/08 06:34 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

its just one of those things that will be perpetually debated. i always let my mushrooms mature somewhat. the way i see it, every organism on Earth strives to get to maturity, so why not let your mushrooms mature? i feel they are happier when youve given them a full life, and they might be a little butt hurt if you pick them when theyre not ready.

InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tardy to the Party
Re: Harvesting [Re: hazey]
    #8028632 - 02/15/08 06:42 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I was under the impression that spores dropping on mycelium basically told the mycelial network to shut down at that location.

I can't back it up though.

--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Re: Harvesting [Re: Crasher]
    #8028788 - 02/15/08 07:09 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Like I said, different nutrient medias contain different alkaloids that mycelium thrives on, a mixture of different foods is a good way to know that your mushrooms are going to be worth the efforts. Coffee alone is enough to get those "flying purple, red striped cow mushrooms that the crazy guy with tats grows"....

man I've heard allot of weird stories.... anyways. Give it a shot and report back.

--------------------

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Re: Harvesting [Re: HybridprX]
    #8029038 - 02/15/08 08:10 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Basically, what I'm saying is everything you have all said is heresay. Until someone shows me otherwise, using some magical scientific process, that letting the caps fully open reduces potency by weight, I will continue to harvest prior to sporulation. I will do this not only to reduce mess, but because this has become, to the best of my understanding, the conventional wisdom.

Also...

Quote:

Its not true, I was told from someone.

Until you can at least back up your statements with a link, that sounds like pure bullshit. Leaving the caps attached increases potency? Please explain how that works. I say adding cinnamon and sugar to your sub makes your mushrooms taste like ice cream. Does that make it true?

--------------------

Offlinehazey
Male

#8029095 - 02/15/08 08:27 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

thedefone said:
Basically, what I'm saying is everything you have all said is heresay. Until someone shows me otherwise, using some magical scientific process, that letting the caps fully open reduces potency by weight, I will continue to harvest prior to sporulation.  I will do this not only to reduce mess, but because this has become, to the best of my understanding, the conventional wisdom.   

:rolleyes:
i couldnt figure that out at first.

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

#8029272 - 02/15/08 09:23 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Dr pf was the one who wrote his findings about mushrooms being more potent prior to the partial veil breaking...

He also made a living selling spore prints to people, now, if I was going to bring in some extra revenue selling spore prints, when would I tell people to harvest? ...

--------------------

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Loc: PNW
Re: Harvesting [Re: HybridprX]
    #8029708 - 02/15/08 11:54 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

~This is interesting...I thought that harvesting before the cap opens had some science behind it...there's no papers published on this?~

--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

Edited by Psuper (02/15/08 11:54 PM)

Offlinehazey
Male

Re: Harvesting [Re: Psuper]
    #8029764 - 02/16/08 12:20 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

its just another master-debate

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

#8030282 - 02/16/08 06:57 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Dr pf was the one who wrote his findings about mushrooms being more potent prior to the partial veil breaking...

Back it up with something...

Quote:

He also made a living selling spore prints to people, now, if I was going to bring in some extra revenue selling spore prints, when would I tell people to harvest? ...

Was cloning not around back then? Besides, how did you get started? Spores, maybe?

--------------------

Offlined4nkman
Stranger

#8030569 - 02/16/08 09:30 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

well, i don't think it matters really, harvest before sporulation = less mess as to the spores. harvest after = larger mushrom
it's not like shrooms degrade in potency when they are growing so i'd say whatever your personal preference is, i haven't seen any evidence of shrooms being more potent before maturation either.
i think that belief is based on the assumption that since there is less mass to the fruit body that the alkaloids are somehow concentrated? not too sure about it

Invisibledumbfounded1600
Stranger

Re: Harvesting [Re: d4nkman]
    #8030603 - 02/16/08 09:37 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Larger mushroom just means moisture based, no increase in overall potency.
Mushrooms can oxides at any point in time

i think that belief is based on the assumption that since there is less mass to the fruit body that the alkaloids are somehow concentrated?

That's what i'll find out today...i've been wondering the same thing.

InvisibleDJYoshaBYD
Male

Re: Harvesting [Re: dumbfounded1600]
    #8030670 - 02/16/08 10:11 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

jesus christo...

1... potency is determined by substrain.. isolating a potent one or cloning then isolating is how you get more potency... thats how I got my B+ to knock peoples dick in the dirt eating a half 8th...

2... thats a myth about the caps being open decreases potency... total bs... potency loss is usually due to drying incorrectly (ie using too much heat)...

if you want potency, then isolate your own strains from spore.. THATS how you get potency... consistently...

InvisibleBEEP

Re: Harvesting [Re: Crasher]
    #8030779 - 02/16/08 10:51 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Crasher said:
I was under the impression that spores dropping on mycelium basically told the mycelial network to shut down at that location.

I can't back it up though.

what about this?

iv'e heard that somewhere too. still curious. :smile:

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: Harvesting [Re: DJYoshaBYD]
    #8030807 - 02/16/08 11:00 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

2... thats a myth about the caps being open decreases potency... total bs... potency loss is usually due to drying incorrectly (ie using too much heat)...

I hope you know that is incorrect unless you are using ungodly amounts of heat i use 160 to dry and no loss of potency....the only thing that happens when you wait till you have a fully mature mushroom is that you have to eat more mass to get the same amount of actives that would be in a smaller less mature mushroom.

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate