Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineofzeroconcern
Mindflayer

Loc: Aurora
Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss?
    #8010073 - 02/11/08 06:42 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, I have read teks and yes I have used the search option and searched around, but even after that, things still remain fuzzy to me. So many varying/contradicting opinions. Let's try to put this to rest, shall we?

Which drying method has ZERO loss of potency? Or at least, which one has the least loss of potency?

I've heard anywhere between 8 - 48 hours for dehydrators. And also heard fan drying takes 48+ hours. Would it be the same for a dehydrator with no heating element?

Has anyone tried different types of drying and compared them? What were your findings?

Some people say dehydrators on low heat, 90F, are fine, some disagree and remove the heating element, just using the dehydrator's fan do the work. Is that really necessary?

Is there differences between potency loss with dehydrating on 90 vs. desiccant vs. fanning?

Also, any opinions or pros/cons for cutting mushrooms in half before drying? Or even dicing them up into smaller bits?

Anything else you guys want to add is fine, hopefully people will read THIS thread just once rather than searching through a sea of confusing threads.

--------------------
"Who can see the future? Those who create it."

Edited by ofzeroconcern (02/11/08 06:48 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: ofzeroconcern]
    #8010103 - 02/11/08 06:48 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

dehydrator is the best way to go. its the fastest and most efficent. as long as you get one that you can set to around 95 degrees. then there is no need to remove the heating element.

if you keep the dehydrator temp down, that fanning and desicant chambers all have ZERO loss of potency.

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Loc: Gondwana
Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: ofzeroconcern] * 2
    #8010156 - 02/11/08 06:57 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Which drying method has ZERO loss of potency? Or at least, which one has the least loss of potency?

The problem with this question is that unless you specifically measure the actual amount of actives in the mushroom, any determination of potency will be entirely anecdotal, and not based in fact.

Quote:

I've heard between 12 - 48 hours for dehydrators. And also heard fan drying takes 48+ hours. Would it be the same for a dehydrator with no heating element?

I have my own apartment, and I am therefore able to point the fan at trays full of mushrooms for days on end. Typically, yes, 48 hours is enough. However, larger mushrooms can take longer.

Quote:

Some people say dehydrators on low heat, 90F, are fine, some disagree and remove the heating element, just using the dehydrator's fan do the work. Is that really necessary?

Why not just use a fan if you remove the heating element? Same thing, no?

Some people, as we may see, cook their fresh mushrooms on pizzas in a 350 degree oven, and swear to zero potency loss. Like I said above, the nature of dosing, along with all the variables that go along with that are going to change every trip in so many different ways that every trip will be relative. That is why you see so many different opinions in the search. Soon someone will chime in and talk about breakdown of actives at 159.987 degrees or whatever, and then someone else will call bullshit. And on we go.

--------------------

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Offlinewoefuljungle
here to gain andshare knowlege
Male

Loc: us
Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: thedefone]
    #8010398 - 02/11/08 07:34 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

well i am no expert, actually im a newb but what i plan on doing is put in a dehydrator on 95f for a while even till possibly cracker dry...then put in with some damp rid for a rew days to pull out any possible moisture left in the shroom...i plan on saving up to a year

--------------------
loading signature . . .

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: woefuljungle]
    #8010427 - 02/11/08 07:38 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

if you have a dehydrator there is no need for damp rid

Offlinewoefuljungle
here to gain andshare knowlege
Male

Loc: us
Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: blood4blood]
    #8010489 - 02/11/08 07:48 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

not even to be EXTRA sure ...its not even needed one bit

--------------------
loading signature . . .

Offlineofzeroconcern
Mindflayer

Loc: Aurora
Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: woefuljungle]
    #8010664 - 02/11/08 08:12 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Oh, I've also heard that once dried, storing them in a wooden box is better than plastic because of how wood absorbs moisture, or something like that.

I wonder what RR would say about that wood storage thing, as I've never read anything about it after searching on these forums.

--------------------
"Who can see the future? Those who create it."

Edited by ofzeroconcern (02/11/08 08:14 PM)

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: ofzeroconcern]
    #8010680 - 02/11/08 08:15 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

once they're dry their dry. put them in ziplocks and put in the freezer

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Loc: Gondwana
Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: blood4blood]
    #8010947 - 02/11/08 09:13 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Offlinebigred
Male User Gallery

Loc: Latitude = 37.0954, Longi... Flag
Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: thedefone]
    #8068239 - 02/25/08 11:22 AM (16 years, 26 days ago)

I had an idea that removing the heating element might work so I did just.

I don't know if its going to work but I'll let you know.

Invisiblear393
old timer
Male
Loc: VT
Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: bigred]
    #8068604 - 02/25/08 01:35 PM (16 years, 26 days ago)

Once they are dry, (however you want to dry them), then throw them in a ziplock with a packet of silica gel or other desiccant (damprid in a tea bag works just as well).

OfflineYrat
Hello

Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: bigred]
    #8068747 - 02/25/08 02:34 PM (16 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

bigred said:
I had an idea that removing the heating element might work so I did just.

I don't know if its going to work but I'll let you know.

i'm assuming you closed the circuit by reconnecting the cut wires? should work perfectly.

--------------------
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root."
-Henry David Thoreau
Strike The Root

Offlinebigred
Male User Gallery

Loc: Latitude = 37.0954, Longi... Flag
Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: Yrat]
    #8068963 - 02/25/08 03:42 PM (16 years, 26 days ago)

Yes Sir

OfflineTerillius
Renaissance Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #8069026 - 02/25/08 04:01 PM (16 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

bigred said:
...so I did just.

That was awesome! :grin:

OfflineCabinet_Sanchez
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: Terillius]
    #8069352 - 02/25/08 05:25 PM (16 years, 26 days ago)

I live in a very dry state so even though I use desiccant (and I don't think I lose anything for it) I doubt I need to. Drying mushrooms is really not that hard and should not require any fancy equipment.

Offlinepoof
Stranger
Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: Cabinet_Sanchez]
    #8069413 - 02/25/08 05:39 PM (16 years, 26 days ago)

The major source of potentcy loss is not heat, it is air. Heat only serves to hasten the effect of oxidation, unless of course were talking about extreme heat, in which the chemical breaks down, but those levels arent a factor with common drying methods.

Seeing as this is the case, whats better, leaving them to dry for an extended period in a desiccant chamber in which the amount of oxygen is limited, or blowing vast quantities of [hot] air over them within a realitvely small timeframe?

In some instances a desiccant chamber isnt enough and the shrooms will become moldy and rot before they can dry, so there isnt any other way than to oxidize the hell out of them.

Either way both suck and ive made powerful shrooms become mildly euphoric crackers using these conventional methods.

OfflineBevis
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
    #8785905 - 08/17/08 09:12 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I have always used Potassium Chloride (Ice Melter). Makes them cracker dry in no time.

Edit:
Now that I think about it. It's Calcium Chloride.

Edited by Bevis (08/17/08 11:42 AM)

Offlinebeengonetoolong
Gravy Train Conductor
Male User Gallery

Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: Bevis]
    #8785912 - 08/17/08 09:16 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I"ve said it before i'll say it again, food dehydrators with heating elements cause no noticable potency loss. 

If you have a food dehydrator, use it, with the heat.

End of story!!!

Invisiblecosmictaco
The answer IS the question
 User Gallery

Loc: In a Ditch
Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: beengonetoolong]
    #8785992 - 08/17/08 09:51 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

my grandma used a food deydrater for the first time a couple days ago. Took about 8 hours for them to dry. Also she took a temp reading of the dehydrater, temps reached 120+.
Anyway, she triped balls off of 1.5 grams. she will continue to use it.

--------------------
                Apple butter toast is nice,...

Offlinesmokdatkush
Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cope-land
Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: cosmictaco]
    #8786016 - 08/17/08 09:59 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

cosmictaco said:
my grandma used a food deydrater for the first time a couple days ago. Took about 8 hours for them to dry. Also she took a temp reading of the dehydrater, temps reached 120+.
Anyway, she triped balls off of 1.5 grams. she will continue to use it.

Whaaaaaaa? :rofl2:

Trippy Granny :shroomer:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies