Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous

Re: Language Skill and Intelligence [Re: Droz]
    #803020 - 08/07/02 06:23 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Another thing that has some correlation to the intelligence of a poster is the amount of vulgarity that they use. I am not saying that vulgar talk is a sign that a person is unintelligent but I am saying that if a person uses foul language all the time it is a sign that their vocabulary suffers and so might their ability to communicate which in turn might be a sign they are mentally-challenged.

Cheers,

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Language Skill and Intelligence [Re: ]
    #803201 - 08/07/02 07:48 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I unequivocally concur with your supposition that preponderant use of vulgarity in someone's vernacular is a determinate indication of their vocabulary deficiency.

Okay, I'll admit... I had to break out the thesaurus for that one!

--------------------
Namaste.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Language Skill and Intelligence [Re: Droz]
    #803216 - 08/07/02 08:02 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

First off we are taught this. Does this mean we always have to follow it?

When someone is trying to express their feelings, provoke thought, or invite discussion on these boards; I don't think they are choosing not to "follow" the grammar, puncuation and spelling skills they have been taught.

They simply don't know how to use those skills well enough. Thus, they do not learn very proficiently. Thus, they aren't highly intelligent. These are the suppositions that I make.

You can easily understand someones post no matter how bad its misspelled can't you?

Sometimes. Like I said before, it does not have to be perfect. I'm not saying that I wouldn't talk to a person just because they misspelled a few words or don't know when to use to and too. But there are some posts where it takes me a minute just to decipher one sentence. This is what I'm talking about.

Just because someone didn't pick up something back in elementary school it does not make them stupid. How does the way you spell, grammar and all that other stupid english writing bs have anything to do with inteligence?

I think it has everything to do with intelligence. Having a good command of language shows that you are a good learner. It shows you're intelligent because you can convey your thoughts clearly without someone having to decipher what you're trying to say. I also think good language skill is an indication of how well-read a person is, which definitely relates to their intelligence. People who read a lot generally have more knowledge and generally have better language skills because they just pick up on them from reading so much.

--------------------
Namaste.

InvisiblethePatient
Criminal Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana
Re: Language Skill and Intelligence [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #803276 - 08/07/02 08:36 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

BY assuming someone is un-intelligent by how he/she writes, registers in my brain as wrong, to me. Just because their flow, or sentence structure isnt AS grammatically correct as yours, does not mean this person is less intelligent. Your flow of thought, and creation of ideas, and understanding of ideas has nothing to do with typing or even writing. If someone wasnt taught how to write a language, then i guess they might seem un-intelligent to you.

This reminds me of a book i once read (yes ive read a few). It was called Slapstick, written by Kurt Vonnegut. In this book there were two twins who, together, created one genius. When together, the boy wrote the ideas down (the girl neither knew how or wanted to know how to write), and the girl came up with the genius ideas. They fully developed these ideas together, but the girl was the thinker...the spark. Seperate, they seemed almost retarded. But together they were smarter than the average bear.

If you've read this book, youd understand what i mean in my ramblings. If you havent, id recommend this book to anyone.

Edit:

By skipping over someones post because it isnt very well structured, because he misspelled some key words, or his too and to's were misplaced, seems a bit discriminatory to me. You have come off to me as an understanding and an undiscriminatory guy, in the past. ... Maybe im just being drammatic.

--------------------
T h e r e  a r e  n o  o r d i n a r y  m o m e n t s.

Edited by thePatient (08/07/02 08:39 PM)

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #803290 - 08/07/02 08:43 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

What? Now vulgarity is an issue... and curse words indicate an aptitude deficiency?
I have to disagree on this one. I'd say it's the WAY you use those words...

I curse like a fuckin' sailor and I doubt many would argue my language proficiency (preemptive shush). But I guess the entire beat generation must've been deficient as well. Burroughs, Ginsberg, Kerouac, etc... Hell, if vulgarity is a sign of a mental deficiency, what would you say about Charles Bukowski?

if a person uses foul language all the time it is a sign that their vocabulary suffers and so might their ability to communicate which in turn might be a sign they are mentally-challenged.
I figured that a man so fond of dialectic would avoid such slippery slopes.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Language Skill and Intelligence [Re: thePatient]
    #803304 - 08/07/02 08:51 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Once again:

I'm not saying that I wouldn't talk to a person [or that the person is less intelligent than me] just because they misspelled a few words or don't know when to use to and too. But there are some posts where it takes me a minute just to decipher one sentence, [and it's down-right difficult for me to understand what they are trying to say]. This is what I'm talking about.

And my assumption about language skill relating to a person's intelligence does not apply to people whose native language is not english or who were not formally educated in the language. These people have a reason for their deficiency that is not necessarily related to their intelligence.

--------------------
Namaste.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Language Skill and Intelligence [Re: Sclorch]
    #803320 - 08/07/02 08:56 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I agree, vulgarity is not necessarily a measure of a person's vocabulary or intelligence... But you have to agree that a person who consistently curses in everyday conversation when it is not needed in any way is usually not the brightest bulb in the bunch.

I also think a person who relies on cursing when arguing or trying to get a point across is lacking a bit in EQ rather than IQ.

--------------------
Namaste.

Offlinehtownkid28
pimpin' ain'teasy

Loc: in hell! aahhh!!!!!
    #803362 - 08/07/02 09:18 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i think having a strong command of the english language(or whatever your native tongue may be) doesn't necessarily equate to possessing higher intellect. it simply shows that they have excellent communication skills and nothing more.

english was always my best subject in school and i enjoyed writing essays, short stories, and poetry. however, these days i choose when to be grammatically correct. for a setting as casual as a message board on the shroomery, i just concentrate more on getting my point across then how i punctuate or if i capitalize my letters when i am suppose to. now if i were writing a resume in order to get a job that i really want then obviously im going to put alot more effort into it. if someone here reads my posts and comes to the conclusion that im not very intelligent simply because i didnt put a comma in the right place here and there then thats fine with me. i always love being underestimated.

--------------------
"in your pockets with red hot rockets!"

"I love it when a plan comes together!"

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Language Skill and Intelligence [Re: htownkid28]
    #803783 - 08/08/02 04:47 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

How many people would go out on a date with your zipper down, your hair unwashed, wrinkled clothes and teeth unbrushed? It certainly IS a sign of something? Apathy? Lack of social intelligence? Laziness?

The point being, that we come into a public forum to share ideas and allow ourselves be scrutinized both in form and content. To say that only content is important is akin to my dating situation above. "Gee, I am a great person, can't she get past my shoddy appearance?" The answer is maybe, but much less likely.

I have seen many posts where the poster has obviously not proof-read their post at all. One such example was where the word psychedelic was spelled three different ways in one paragraph. This may not necessarily relate to intelligence, but it certainly reeks of lowered awareness, which in turn makes me wonder about their "facts", sources and even ideas.

Presentation in all of walks of life is socially significant.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Anonymous

Re: Language Skill and Intelligence [Re: Sclorch]
    #803795 - 08/08/02 05:03 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I love you, man.

Sclorch, there were enough qualifiers in my post on vulgarity that I am sure you understood what I meant.

I have heard PhD's pepper their intercourse with foul language and they were highly intelligent. On the other hand, I have been with dullards that couldn't pour piss out of a boot with directions written on the heel that ONLY used vulgarity and never talked about anything other than sex, booze, or making money. If they ever had an original thought and spoke it I would have fainted.

I love your responses. They are witty, thought provoking and clever.

Cheers,

Offlinepostalboy
I'm not myfucking khaki's!
Loc: My tiny corner of the pad...
    #803869 - 08/08/02 06:14 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

But there are some posts where it takes me a minute just to decipher one sentence, [and it's down-right difficult for me to understand what they are trying to say]. This is what I'm talking about.

But wouldn't this negatively reflect on Your intelligence since you are the one unable to decipher it. I mean if one person writes something with bad grammar and spelling and the other "smarter" person can't understand it, wouldn't that show that they aren't as smart as they think. Ok this part was a joke.

But also be aware of the of the difference between lack of puncuation and WRONG punctuation. I sometimes write without punc. because I'm in a hurry and can't type. Other times I use puncuation and I proofread. And I am not saying that all bad grammar is just laziness but sometimes intelligence and bad language skills are unrelated.

How many people would go out on a date with your zipper down, your hair unwashed, wrinkled clothes and teeth unbrushed? It certainly IS a sign of something? Apathy? Lack of social intelligence? Laziness?

OK this analogy I am 50/50 about. If I were to place myself in a situation where my appearance did matter, such as a date, I would try to be as neat and attractive as possible. BUT if I was going to a friends house to hang out I wouldn't give a shit if my clothes were wrinkled and I forgot to put deodorant on. There is a difference. And I am not on this board to get a date. I'm just here to hang out with friends, even though I don't actually have any. But you see my point right? Sometimes appearances do not matter.
After reading a lot of posts by guys like Marcos, Swami, Schlorch, and Mr. Mushrooms I know they are all intelligent. If one day they write a post that has a misspelled word and a missing period, I will still read it because I know that sometimes the appearance doesn't matter when the substance is going to be flawless.

To use another analogy: the Mushroom. They look kind of gross, they taste fucking horrible and they don't smell to good either. The appearance is terrible, but AAHHHHH the glorious substance that they bring.....

Postalboy

--------------------
"You people voted for Hubert Humphrey, and you killed Jesus." F and L in L.V.

Anonymous

Re: Language Skill and Intelligence [Re: postalboy]
    #803924 - 08/08/02 07:08 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

After reading a lot of posts by guys like Marcos, Swami, Schlorch, and Mr. Mushrooms I know they are all intelligent. If one day they write a post that has a misspelled word and a missing period, I will still read it because I know that sometimes the appearance doesn't matter when the substance is going to be flawless.

Thank kew thank kew

I see that you have great insight. You perception is startling and your powers of reason are beyond compare. I have been waiting for someone to notice how brilliant I am.

Please elaborate on the intelligence of my posts. I'm all ears.

Cheers,

Offlinepostalboy
I'm not myfucking khaki's!
Loc: My tiny corner of the pad...
    #804002 - 08/08/02 08:19 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I have been waiting for someone to notice how brilliant I am.

I said intelligent NOT brilliant.

Postalboy

--------------------
"You people voted for Hubert Humphrey, and you killed Jesus." F and L in L.V.

Invisiblebuttonion
Calmly Watching

Loc: Kansas
    #804003 - 08/08/02 08:21 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I see that you have great insight. You perception is startling and your powers of reason are beyond compare. I have been waiting for someone to notice how brilliant I am.

Please elaborate on the intelligence of my posts. I'm all ears.

LOL!

--------------------
Concepts which have been proved to be useful in ordering things easily acquire such an authority over us that we forget their human origins and accept them as invariable.- Albert Einstein

Anonymous

Re: Language Skill and Intelligence [Re: postalboy]
    #804086 - 08/08/02 09:09 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Then perhaps you're not as perceptive as I thought.

Anyone who recognizes what a genius I am has to be a genius.

Are there any other genius' out there?

come on, tell me how great I am.

Cheers,

Offlinehtownkid28
pimpin' ain'teasy

Loc: in hell! aahhh!!!!!
Re: Language Skill and Intelligence [Re: Swami]
    #805314 - 08/08/02 07:11 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

again, as i said in my earlier post, i choose when to come correct. there is a time and a place for everything. why be all prim and proper all the time? why not let your hair down and be yourself once in a while? you don't go out in a three piece suit, clean shaven, and hair all nice and neat every single time you walk out of the house do you? i know i dont. in that same way, i dont go about writing a post on the shroomery like im writing an essay for a composition and rhetoric class.

i guess the point i was trying to make earlier in this thread, is that i look more at content when trying to ascertain whether or not the person i am discussing things with possesses any intelligence at all. i agree with you on the fact that i have read alot posts by people who make alot of spelling and punctuation mistakes and you have to sit there and try to decipher what they are trying to say. but i dont arbitrarily dismiss them as unintelligent. i just chalk it up to they might be under the influence, in a hurry, really tired, can't type, or that's just the way they choose to write.

btw, if you were out on a date with a really hot chick and her hair was a little messed up, blouse was wrinkled, and used alot of profanity when she talked would you just ignore her and get up and walk away?

--------------------
"in your pockets with red hot rockets!"

"I love it when a plan comes together!"

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Language Skill and Intelligence [Re: htownkid28]
    #805426 - 08/08/02 07:54 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

you know what? i completely see what you're saying. we choose how we want to write each time we have to write something. on something like the internet, we don't have to be perfect and prim and proper all the time, so we aren't.

but there's a difference between not being prim and perfect and not being able to convey what you're saying. i also agree with swami. if you are trying to convey an intelligent thought, you need to at least seem aware enough of your thinking to know when to use to and when to use too.

i think it's easy to tell the people who are just choosing not to be perfect from the people who really don't know. and i just can't help but think that the people who really don't know are less intelligent if they aren't even in command of something as basic as language.

i guess i am an arrogant, egotistical bastard

--------------------
Namaste.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #805923 - 08/08/02 11:59 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I have no problem with typos, minor grammatical errors, bad punctuation etc. But if a person shows poor diction, misuse of words and/or phrases, and inconsistent grammer/spelling/punctuation. It generally denotes lower intelligence.
But sometimes those are the most entertaining posts.

Anonymous

#805954 - 08/09/02 12:35 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

How dare you insinuate that I should tolerate such a diabolical insult from such an insignificant piece of ingenuity such as your self?

No really, your cool. i just thought i'd throw some big words in there.

OfflineLOBO
Vagabond

Loc: NY
    #806833 - 08/09/02 11:23 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well, be careful not to judge so quick, first you never now if the poster is from an English speaking country (my case) he he.
I speak 3 languages, but I admit that my grammar is not the best. (But I don't think that's the factor that makes me stupid)
Second, even the most uneducated person will know something that you don't.
So is up to you to have an open or close mind, when the lesson comes.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder