Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8  [ show all ]
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Qi Gong Practice [Re: nightkrawler]
    #8497184 - 06/07/08 07:37 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Still practicing and have moved on to doing some of the other exercises in the book. :thumbup:

In fact for the time being at least I have dumped all other weight training for a focus on this.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Qi Gong Practice [Re: Icelander]
    #8499158 - 06/08/08 07:16 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I have done the reverse. I have let Qi Gong slide, but went heavily into joint mobility, flexibility, and more kettlebell. I definitely think there is much value to it, and I will return to it shortly as my time allows. Right now I have health goals I want to complete already. It also must be said that proper kettlebell practice reinforces all the the same points covered by Qi Gong, but with  strength added. I am discovering the key for me is to move from total tension to total relaxation and back at will in an instant.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
    #8499368 - 06/08/08 09:17 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I am trying a different form of Kettle workout:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Qi Gong Practice [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #8499482 - 06/08/08 10:15 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

It makes for strong stomach muscles.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Qi Gong Practice [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #8499485 - 06/08/08 10:16 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Here is a very related post that I put in Mental and Physical well being. It also could fit well with Qi Gong so here is the link:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/8499479/an/0/page/0

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#8500116 - 06/08/08 01:34 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
I have done the reverse. I have let Qi Gong slide, but went heavily into joint mobility, flexibility, and more kettlebell. I definitely think there is much value to it, and I will return to it shortly as my time allows. Right now I have health goals I want to complete already. It also must be said that proper kettlebell practice reinforces all the the same points covered by Qi Gong, but with  strength added. I am discovering the key for me is to move from total tension to total relaxation and back at will in an instant.

Most excellent.:thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
    #8500163 - 06/08/08 01:51 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I started with a tennis ball and now I can lift a bowling ball with my testicles. You never know when this skillset might come in handy.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#8500683 - 06/08/08 04:47 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

It is a very handy skill set actually. A heart rate in the upper 40s, and the capacity for insane work loads is amazing. I recently found that I could pick up 2 computers weighing about 20 pounds between the the first joint of my thumb and forefinger with each hand. This comes in handy in my job when I have to load up a bunch of junk computers for disposal.....but this is NOT Qi Gong. I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#8503309 - 06/09/08 11:55 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

It also must be said that proper kettlebell practice reinforces all the the same points covered by Qi Gong, but with  strength added. I am discovering the key for me is to move from total tension to total relaxation and back at will in an instant.

I thought the idea behind Qi Gong is tension and relaxation at the same time. This would be different then what you are working towards with kettlebells. Buy the way what you are doing with that idea is fundamental to success in the martial arts.

--------------------

Edited by Icelander (06/09/08 11:56 AM)

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#8503377 - 06/09/08 12:23 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Kettlebell training requires that one be loose where needed and tight where necessary as well in order to conserve energy and exert maximum force with efficiency. Qi Gong does add tension...no doubt. It teaches how to remain relaxed while partially under tension, and it teaches proper breathing, but body weight cannot approach the tension generated by a by an iron sphere 24 to 40 KG in weight. It also approaches proper breathing in an imminently practical manner. The kettlebell approach is deeper than strength training. Here is a post that might answer your question. Note: light KBs are just good for teaching form. Once form is mastered heavy ones will show one the practicality of their approach. I am not dissing Qi Gong, but it was not until I started with KBs that it became obvious to me what I was doing. Qi Gong training is cloaked in mysticism while KB training is transparent. A Qi Gong approach that lays out the directives plainly would be a great benefit to practitioners. I see Qi Gong and KB as sister arts myself because of the similarities.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/8499479/an/0/page/0

I wrote it yesterday. By the way kettlebell training is considered a fundamental training for many martial arts styles...particularly grappling styles.

--------------------

Edited by Huehuecoyotl (06/09/08 12:34 PM)

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#8505078 - 06/09/08 08:24 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Slightly different ideas that work well together.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#8505242 - 06/09/08 09:15 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Yes there is a slight difference. The RKC kettlebell approach is a hybrid approach while Qi Gong is a pure oriental approach....hard style, and soft style. Had i understood what Qi Gong was truly about when I posted this it would have went into a different part of the shroomery.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#8507023 - 06/10/08 11:15 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

all one thing

Nothing "spiritual" that isn't material and vice versa.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#8507215 - 06/10/08 12:26 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

true

--------------------

OfflinecoulterIV
Technopagan
Male User Gallery

Loc: as above, so below
    #8507237 - 06/10/08 12:31 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I did the liver exercise one night when i took way over the lethal dose of acetaminophen and I'm still here so i think it worked

--------------------
BREATHE IN LOVE
BREATHE OUT FORGIVENESS
(If you’re not in your breath, you’re in your mind)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order