Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAnxiousCowboy
Stranger
New grow setup--Input appreciated
    #7998791 - 02/09/08 12:47 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I am currently buying my supplies for a shroom grow. I bought a case of 1qt wide mouths for the inoculation. I am in the process of buying 3 syringes (Lipa Yai) in which I plan to inject the jars ~2-2.5cc each following a WBS tek. I have tyvek on its way in the mail. I figure I will just let the jars go at room temp since I keep my place pretty warm at like ~73f.

Once I am done incubating I will mix the spawn with an oven pasteurized 75% straw to 25% whatever poop I can find (do they sell these at stores/internet?). I will use some lime or whatever else to measure the PH up to 7.8 (got a PH and Moisture meter off of eBay) I will use a casing of 75%cocoa-coir and 25% verm. And then tuck these in three rubber maids with perforated plastic on top, and using a rigged up coolmist keep the place at 87-90% humidity. When they pin I will put them in the fruiting chamber uncovered.

I am setting up a fruiting chamber similar to the Martha tek (http://www.shroomery.org/9664/Cybers-Martha-Tek). I got a smaller rack that will fit three rubber maids I bough, and I am going to surround that with 3mil plastic. I figure I will have a coolmist to keep the humidity and maybe a fan for air exchange. I think I just need a light for 12/12, is this very important if it’s clear plastic which daylight may be exposed to?

How does this set up sound, are there any kinks? How does the humidity sound, should it stay the same the whole time through colonization and fruiting? How should air exchange be done, should the air be constant if I get a fan for it?

Edited by AnxiousCowboy (02/09/08 12:55 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tardy to the Party
Re: New grow setup--Input appreciated [Re: AnxiousCowboy]
    #7998814 - 02/09/08 12:56 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

don't case with coir. A lot of people have discovered that coir is nutritive, and spawn to it and coffee. Case with 50 peat/50 verm, balanced with lime.

--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

OfflineAnxiousCowboy
Stranger

Re: New grow setup--Input appreciated [Re: Crasher]
    #7998829 - 02/09/08 01:00 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Ok thanks a lot. Also, should I mist the casing even if I have a humidifier going?

InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tardy to the Party
    #7998895 - 02/09/08 01:23 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Depends on the relative humidity of the fruiting chamber. your aim is to prevent as much substrate water evaporation as possible.

--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

OfflineAnxiousCowboy
Stranger

Re: New grow setup--Input appreciated [Re: Crasher]
    #7999514 - 02/09/08 09:46 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

So keeping the humidity above 87 the whole time is what I should be looking for eh?

Also to anyone else, how does the rest of the setup sound? I want to get everything incheck the best I can before I start injecting jars.

Edit:
Also, I just remembered I have a $20 macy card... Is the fagor (lol) brand any good? I was thinking of this: http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=96626&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

Edited by AnxiousCowboy (02/09/08 10:56 AM)

Offlinegreystealth
Corrupt Cop

#7999954 - 02/09/08 12:33 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I use Fagor brand PC. I have the 10QT. size

It works well, the handle is VERY durable- the lid is tricky to maneuver at first-but make sure the orange whistler is pushed all the way down, and the knob is turned on 'pressure release'- and it works like a charm.

It's a good brand.

--------------------

Offlinepoof
Stranger
Re: New grow setup--Input appreciated [Re: greystealth]
    #8000021 - 02/09/08 12:52 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I thought my humidifer, despite keeping the chamber at 97%, would be all i needed. Turns out my casing was dry as hell after a week. Misting daily is a must as humidifers dont actually add or subtract moisture, they just replace existing moisture in the air and the cake will continue to evaporate off regardless. They will be all you need for FAE too, no need for fans.

As for lights get daylight compact flourescents. They will save a bundle on electricity.

Offlineheed
A glutton formycology
Male User Gallery

Re: New grow setup--Input appreciated [Re: poof]
    #8000200 - 02/09/08 01:41 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Poof, your humidifier alone wasn't enough because mushrooms pull moisture from the air AND from the substrate, no matter what. If you maintain 97% humidity, there is very little evaporation of water from your substrate, but moisture is still pulled out by growing fruits. Misting of some kind, be it from a mister or an ultra-sonic, is needed to get the full potential out of a flush. That along with lots of FAE WHILE providing that high ass humidity.

OfflineAnxiousCowboy
Stranger

Re: New grow setup--Input appreciated [Re: heed]
    #8001452 - 02/09/08 05:57 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

The PH meter I am buying will also have a moisture meter built in, I suppose I could use this to monitor the moisture carefully.

How much FAE is needed? Should I just throw a fan in there on 24/7 or should it be kept on a cycle?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates