Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineHigh_On_Magic
Re: want to construct a HEPA flowhood *UPDATE* [Re: Roadkill]
    #1913528 - 09/13/03 08:36 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

allright so if im shitty at math, and i dont know the specs of my hepa, cani just guess how much power to put behind a blower by getting on overpowered one, and use a dimmer switch to control how fast it goes, then just check by making sure it only blows out a match at about 2 feet away form the filter? lettme know if this sounds ok, im a broke ass and has the items just laying around my house to make such a thing and i think itd be a hell of a lot better then me sittin in my boxers in my bathroom inhaling mad lysol right?
well thanks for the input

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleWheedhead!
Test subject #1

Loc: Area 51
Re: want to construct a HEPA flowhood *UPDATE* [Re: paddo]
    #1914674 - 09/14/03 05:32 AM (18 years, 8 days ago)

Now thats beautifull. What are your contam rates, after finishing this motherf*****.

5 Shrooms  :thumbup: 

--------------------
I just  :heart: The Shroomery

Monkeys might fly out of my butt

Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope. "
Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers

Offlinepaddo
Oh shit i realydid it this time
 User Gallery

Loc: Netherlands
Re: want to construct a HEPA flowhood *UPDATE* [Re: Wheedhead!]
    #2902996 - 07/18/04 05:53 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Yo Quintus, if you want any help or tips building a hood like this, ask away..

Paddo (alex)

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: want to construct a HEPA flowhood *UPDATE* [Re: paddo]
    #2904576 - 07/19/04 07:07 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

You guys are going *way* overboard... You just need some clean air, not a hurricane. A standard 3 x 9 filter (from Walmart)that costs $19.95 will do just fine. You need a decent blower, but chances are that almost any decent sized blower running on 110v AC current will do just fine for you.

It looks like you guys went after the biggest heating/AC blowers that you could find... Way overkill. Try a blower about half the size of the ones pictured above.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: want to construct a HEPA flowhood *UPDATE* [Re: fastfred]
    #2904580 - 07/19/04 07:11 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Do you speak out of experience or pure speculation?

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: want to construct a HEPA flowhood *UPDATE* [Re: Anno]
    #2914836 - 07/22/04 05:11 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

My friend Sanchez has a nice big flow hood for his edible/medicinal mushroom work, which I built for him.

The first design used the smallish $40-$50 hepa filter that walmart sells. Turn it upside down and use a little weatherstripping for the connection. I also duct taped the seams and hotglued the hepa seal. Worked fine, verified with open petri dishes. The second design used a surplus blower ($15 at allelectronics.com [all gone though]) and the same filter. Place the filter on your hood and trace around the bottom. Now cut that section out, and insert the filter upwards from the inside of the hood. Hot glue or caulk in place. The interface between the filter and the blower can be made by placing a plastic container upside down over the filter and then connecting some dryer vent tubing from that to the blower. You can stuff the plastic box or tubing with some polyfill as a prefilter.

This design also verified in the same manner. The design is based on simplicity. The only airtight joint required is that of the hepa to the hood. Use a large piece of plexiglass for the front. Cut some sort of grove into the sides of your hood to accept the plexiglass. An adjustable front allows for maximum flexibility in airflow and accepting large objects. Hepa air input in the top rear, and exaust at the bottom of the front.

Open your P. cooker in there or right in front of it! No class five tornado required. One of the differences in others posts seems to be that the entire front is open. In that case you may need a lot of airflow. The big scientific ones sure don't have the entire face open. You can just build them so much bigger if you use an adjustable front.

Earlier, I mentioned a 3x9 filter... It may be as large as around 4x10. Not exactly sure because as mentioned above I never had to measure it. But, it is the one that costs $20-$25 at walmart. (1pk vs 2pk price)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: want to construct a HEPA flowhood *UPDATE* [Re: fastfred]
    #2914887 - 07/22/04 05:57 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

>One of the differences in others posts seems to be that the entire front is open.
This is the standard for mushroom cultivation flowhoods since it allows for easy handling of the jars, bags and dishes in front of the hood.

>In that case you may need a lot of airflow.
Indeed.

>The big scientific ones sure don't have the entire face open
As I said, this is a hood for mushroom cultivation, not for scientific experiments.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: want to construct a HEPA flowhood *UPDATE* [Re: Anno]
    #2931563 - 07/27/04 07:50 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Your point is moot since most flow hoods have a front that opens nearly 100%.

If you buy into this massive overkill, go right ahead. There is no way that I can see it hurting any. Although it's a waste of resources which could be better spent elsewhere.

The massive $450 hood certainly looks scary, even if it is no more effective than the $100 one that I describe.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale