Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Media Smeared Paul For Racism, Ignored McCain’s “Gook” Comments [Re: bodhiman777]
    #8000659 - 02/09/08 03:39 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

i did you the favor of reading the transcript. there is no mention of what you said. nowhere in McCain's text does the word 'gooks' pop up.
unless it has been erased from existence.

I read it as well, and noticed the same thing. I'm pretty certain that is the show, as I remember the part about the click codes... but I also remember them talking about how they would pass messages with sweeping patters... a long swish or a short swish of the broom would mean dots or dashes in their click code and I didn't see this in the transcript. I may have the wrong show, or the transcript may be truncated. (or I may be mis-remembering, though I feel fairly confident that I am not)

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: Media Smeared Paul For Racism, Ignored McCain’s “Gook” Comments [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #8000663 - 02/09/08 03:40 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Ha awesome, I cant wait for this to come out in the attack ads in a few months. I was so amused by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, this one sounds like itll be even grander

InvisibleEntheogenicPeace
Scholar
Male

Re: Media Smeared Paul For Racism, Ignored McCain’s “Gook” Comments [Re: zappaisgod]
    #8000937 - 02/09/08 04:34 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

---

Edited by EntheogenicPeace (02/13/21 01:21 PM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Media Smeared Paul For Racism, Ignored McCain’s “Gook” Comments [Re: EntheogenicPeace]
    #8001307 - 02/09/08 05:31 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Do you attend an institution of higher learning that receives taxpayer funded dollars? Do you drive? Do you eat food purchased from any other source than a farmstand? Do you use a computer to access the internet? Is there a fire department where you live? Can you understand just what you are being given for your annual $2 tax contribution?

I don't care if you like the guy. Ho Chi Minh was a thug who took power through murder and terror. Just like Mao and Pol Pot. To think otherwise is just ignorant.

--------------------

Offlinebodhiman777
Stranger
Male

Loc: Adirondacks
Re: Media Smeared Paul For Racism, Ignored McCain’s “Gook” Comments [Re: Seuss]
    #8001772 - 02/09/08 06:44 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/hongop.shtml
http://quest.cjonline.com/stories/030100/gen_slur.shtml

got it. look what you can find on google. looks like it was pretty well documented too. i just picked a couple sources. i love his defense.

Quote:
`I apologize if I offended anyone,'' McCain said recently. ``But the validity of my statement, as I said, it was applied to a small group of sadists and murderers and the kindest word I could use about them was that.

well, he'll be perfect for the presidency. he possesses the ignorance and misguided judgment of Bush II, stale old ideals that didn't work 60 years ago, plus pent up hostilities from abuse. Bush's vendetta was family " he went after my dad " but with McCain, its personal. this will greatly help our foreign policy and elevate the overall opinion of America in the rest of the world.

someones gonna bring up this issue when we get into the final stretch of this race, but McCain will win. the americans (that vote) like some one simple, and as ignorant as them, but who instills a little fear. and don't tell me i'm wrong because they voted Bush II into office for not one but two terms. i never heard of anyone who shot themselves in the head twice.

--------------------
... and so forth

InvisibleSoY
I am the LizardKing
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: Media Smeared Paul For Racism, Ignored McCain’s “Gook” Comments [Re: bodhiman777]
    #8003002 - 02/09/08 10:38 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

i never heard of anyone who shot themselves in the head twice.

Sorry for being off-topic, but I was just reading something about that young police officer's shooting rampage in Crandon, Wisconsin.  Supposedly he shot himself in the head three times.....

:roulette:

--------------------

"The choiceless truth of who you are is revealed to be permanently here permeating everything. Not a thing and not separate from anything."--Gaganji
"Yesterday is but today's memory and tomorrow is today's dream."
"My karma ran over my dogma!"

Offlinebodhiman777
Stranger
Male

Re: Media Smeared Paul For Racism, Ignored McCain’s “Gook” Comments [Re: SoY]
    #8003145 - 02/09/08 11:26 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

you follow a lot of my posts. are you following me?

--------------------
... and so forth

InvisibleMistaUNGA
green crack GREEN CRACK!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Kalifornien, im Süden...
    #8003204 - 02/09/08 11:48 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

John McCain's racist remark very troubling

Thursday, March 2, 2000

By KATIE HONG
SPECIAL TO THE POST-INTELLIGENCER

On his campaign bus recently, Sen. John McCain told reporters, "I hated the gooks. I will hate them as long as I live." Although McCain said he was referring only to his prison guards, there are many reasons why his use of the word "gook" is offensive and alarming.

It is offensive because by using a racial epithet that has historically been used to demean all Asians to describe his captors, McCain failed to make a distinction between his torturers and an entire racial group.

It is alarming because a major candidate for president publicly used a racial epithet, refused to apologize for doing so and remains a legitimate contender.

Contrary to McCain's attempt to narrowly define "gook" to mean only his "sadistic" captors, this term has historically been used to describe all Asians. McCain said that "gook" was the most "polite" term he could find to describe his captors, but because it is simply a pejorative term for Asians, he insulted his captors simply by calling them "Asians" -- a clearly disturbing message. To the Asian American community, the term is akin to the racist word "nigger." A friend of mine, a white male Vietnam veteran, pointed out that veterans, especially Vietnam veterans, know how spiteful the term "gook" is. It has everything to do with labeling someone as "other," the enemy and yellow. McCain sent the message that all Asians are foreigners and remain forever the "other" and the enemy.

Continued at http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/hongop.shtml

--------------------
:gc:
Madtowntripper said:Or just give her a cloroform soaked rag and tell her it's ether!

InvisibleSoY
I am the LizardKing
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: Media Smeared Paul For Racism, Ignored McCain’s “Gook” Comments [Re: MistaUNGA]
    #8004031 - 02/10/08 09:54 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bodhiman777 said:
you follow a lot of my posts. are you following me?

Following you?  I AM you!  :yinyang: :levitate:

oh wait this is the politics forum not P&S.....

--------------------

"The choiceless truth of who you are is revealed to be permanently here permeating everything. Not a thing and not separate from anything."--Gaganji
"Yesterday is but today's memory and tomorrow is today's dream."
"My karma ran over my dogma!"

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE PA
Re: Media Smeared Paul For Racism, Ignored McCain’s “Gook” Comments [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #8004537 - 02/10/08 12:49 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

if i spent five and a half years under torture in a POW prison, i would call my captors whatever the hell i wanted, and i certainly wouldn't apologize for it.

do you think mccain hates vietnamese people in general?

--------------------

Scholar
Male

Re: Media Smeared Paul For Racism, Ignored McCain’s “Gook” Comments [Re: zappaisgod]
    #8004637 - 02/10/08 01:17 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

---

Edited by EntheogenicPeace (02/13/21 01:21 PM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Media Smeared Paul For Racism, Ignored McCain’s “Gook” Comments [Re: EntheogenicPeace]
    #8005806 - 02/10/08 06:20 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

George Washington didn't take power

--------------------

Scholar
Male

#8006154 - 02/10/08 07:36 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

---

Edited by EntheogenicPeace (02/13/21 01:22 PM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#8006175 - 02/10/08 07:42 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I'm going to repeat myself. George Washington didn't take power.

--------------------

Scholar
Male

#8006529 - 02/10/08 09:01 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

---

Edited by EntheogenicPeace (02/13/21 01:22 PM)

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Harmless (Mostly)
    #8006665 - 02/10/08 09:43 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

EntheogenicPeace said:
Then the British aristocracy must have handed him power peaceably, without any conflict involved, being as they were the ones who had power previously & didn't allow it to change hands democratically.

Also, I never claimed Ho Chi Minh didn't take power. The Vietnamese independence movement forcibly took power from the French colonialists (& their internal collaborators), & then from the American imperialists (& their internal collaborators); I've not denied that. Along the way they attempted to have elections (which, as has been said, all historians & even Eisenhower acknowledged who the winner would have been), but foreign powers had a strong interest in resorting to any means necessary to prevent a true democracy from taking hold.

Being as political power comes from the barrel of a gun, there is often only one way to achieve it; take it forcibly. Those living under a colonialist, imperialist, or otherwise oppressive regimes have only one path to achieve freedom, independence, & self-determination; armed struggle... unless, of course, they want to wait for their oppressors' government to collapse on its own or change its mind, which may or may not happen in an undetermined period of time, but some people want freedom, independence & self-determination sooner rather than later.

I am glad that you agree that Independence and sovereignty can unfortunately only be achieved by war and conflict. Unless this is not the case, is there any proven other form?

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Media Smeared Paul For Racism, Ignored McCain’s “Gook” Comments [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #8008853 - 02/11/08 01:39 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

George Washington didn't take power. He reluctantly served as President for eight years while doing little more than keeping people who actually had power together. GW eschewed the dictator role many would have had him take.

--------------------

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery

Loc: Chocolate City
    #8009206 - 02/11/08 03:10 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Ignored it? I heard quite a bit more about that in the media than I did about Lew Rockwell ghostwriting bigotry for Paul.

I never heard about the gook comment... just about how a bunch of pissy ass feminists talking shit about mccain in 2000 for saying something about Nine Inch Nails

Offlinebodhiman777
Stranger
Male

Re: Media Smeared Paul For Racism, Ignored McCain’s “Gook” Comments [Re: wilshire]
    #8010953 - 02/11/08 09:13 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

wilshire said:
if i spent five and a half years under torture in a POW prison, i would call my captors whatever the hell i wanted, and i certainly wouldn't apologize for it.

do you think mccain hates vietnamese people in general?

yeah, you have a right to be prejudice, but i wouldn't vote for you to be the commander and chief of the most powerful military in the world.

you think McCain's' big enough to stop the cycle of abuse?

--------------------
... and so forth

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Media Smeared Paul For Racism, Ignored McCain’s “Gook” Comments [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #8012044 - 02/12/08 04:59 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SirTripAlot said:
Unfortunately, war will always be a part of the Earth we live in, as it has ben since history was recorded.

Nonsense, the reasoning for this is not sound. The causes of war are predictable, and the consequences of war are increasingly detrimental to everyone's interests. If there is no incentive for war, there is no war. A goal that can be achieved is the alleviation of the incentive for war. I think you'll see this realized more and more in the short-term.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder