Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineFlusH
Random person on Internet

Loc: Bizzaro World
"Sorry, you're too fat to eat here"
    #7981659 - 02/05/08 07:55 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22997073/wid/11915773?gt1=10914

Quote:

JACKSON, Miss. - A state lawmaker wants to ban restaurants from serving food to obese customers — but please, don’t be offended.

He says he never even expected his plan to become law.

“I was trying to shed a little light on the number one problem in Mississippi,” said Republican Rep. John Read of Gautier, who acknowledges that at 5-foot-11 and 230 pounds, he’d probably have a tough time under his own bill.
Story continues below ↓advertisement

More than 30 percent of adults in Mississippi are considered it obese, according to a 2007 study by the Trust for America’s Health, a research group that focuses on disease prevention.

The state House Public Health Committee chairman, Democrat Steve Holland of Plantersville, said he is going to “shred” the bill.

“It is too oppressive for government to require a restaurant owner to police another human being from their own indiscretions,” Holland said Monday.

The bill had no specifics about how obesity would be defined, or how restaurants were supposed to determine if a customer was obese.

Al Stamps, who owns a restaurant in Jackson, said it is “absurd” for the state to consider telling him which customers he can’t serve. He and his wife, Kim, do a bustling lunch business at Cool Al’s, which serves big burgers — beef or veggie — and specialty foods like “Sassy Momma Sweet Potato Fries.”

“There is a better way to deal with health issues than to impose those kind of regulations,” Al Stamps said. “I’m sorry — you can’t do it by treating adults like children and telling them what they can and cannot eat.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
Re: "Sorry, you're too fat to eat here" [Re: FlusH]
    #7981668 - 02/05/08 07:59 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds like a really dumb way to address the nation's health problem.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

InvisibleRobo
R Series 66Y
    #7981671 - 02/05/08 08:01 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I read a similar article not long ago about two guys that were banned from an all-you-can-eat buffet because they literally cleared out all their pans of food every time they came through, ate everything in sight. They were filing a suit against the owner of the restaurant chain for discrimination or something lol

It was an "all-you-can-eat" buffet though, so :shrug:

Edited by Ombient (02/05/08 08:02 AM)

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

#7981674 - 02/05/08 08:02 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

So Mississippi is fat, and stupid. I guess their reasoning is, if they can't lose the weight, we'll help them, and if they're too dumb to grasp the concept of decimals and fractions, we'll just get rid of them.

"13 August 1999
Jackson, MS -- Bolstered by the state of Kansas' recent measure removing the requirement for the teaching of evolution in public schools, yesterday afternoon the Mississippi legislature passed a bill eliminating fractions and decimal points from the mathematics curriculum of all public secondary schools in the state.

"Despite the coincidental timing of the measure, this was no whim," asserted Mississippi state senator Cassius de Spain. "We'd had the issue under consideration for several months now."

The bill, which cleared the Mississippi Senate by a vote of "a lot" to "a little" (with "this many" senators abstaining) after some initial confusion over how many votes constitute a "majority," directs public secondary schools in Mississippi to emphasize whole number arithmetic in mathematics courses and orders the removal of questions involving non-integer mathematics from standardized state tests after 1999. The fate of percentages remains undetermined as educators attempt to work out an alternative scoring method for tests.

Judith Sutpen, chairperson of the Mississippi Senate Education committee, defended the legislature's action against charges that it was motivated by "controversial religious beliefs."

"This has absolutely nothing to do with religion," she told reporters at a press conference Friday morning. "We're simply seeking to make mathematics more accessible to schoolchildren by de-emphasizing the elements that so many of them find confusing. It makes no sense to try to train our students how to think logically, then present them with nonsensical concepts such as 'irrational' and 'imaginary' numbers."

Senate minority leader Cora Tull indicated that religion did play a part in the passage of the legislation, however, maintaining that "if cardinality is good enough for the Catholic church, it ought to be good enough for the children of the great state of Mississippi." She added that "'improper fractions' have no place in any respectable school system, public or private."

Freshman senator John Sartoris of Brookhaven elaborated on the reasons for his colleagues' support of the bill: "We're sick and tired of hearing about how everything in our culture, from art to entertainment to education, is aimed at the 'lowest common denominator' of society. We're took aggressive action to do something about it yesterday by eliminating that denominator."

School librarians expressed concern about whether they will be able to continue categorizing books according to the Dewey decimal system once the law goes into effect, but Jason Compson, chief librarian for the Greater Biloxi School District, opined that "anyone who couldn't beat that pinko Truman doesn't deserve a place of honor in our schools' libraries anyway."

Several senators indicated that an additional measure aimed at removing "irregular verbs" from English classes might be in the offing."

--------------------
My name is Mud

OfflineOjom
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: "Sorry, you're too fat to eat here" [Re: Robo]
    #7981679 - 02/05/08 08:05 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

If we could just convince everyone that thinks this bill is absurd because people should be able to eat what they want, to really MEAN that people should be able to eat what they want, the drug legalization movement would get along nicely.

Invisiblemanyc
♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

Loc: Axis Mundi
Re: "Sorry, you're too fat to eat here" [Re: Ojom]
    #7981691 - 02/05/08 08:13 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I remember one lazy summer day watching one of those court shows on TV, you know, the hilarious Judge Judy type shows... but it was called "Eye for an Eye." It's really... unethical. Probably scripted. Either way, the defendant gets revenge when they take them to this court, and on this particular episode a Chinese buffet owner fucking put a laxative in this FAT black bitch's food because she kept eating ALL of his food. So they slipped him a really strong laxative before he went into the courtroom and then didn't let him leave... he was on national television squeezing his butt cheeks together for dear life. :rofl:

Shouldn'ta eaten everyone's fuckin' food, woman. God damn. Leave some for the children for christs sake...

--------------------

Hemp could Save the World.

"There is no flag that is large enough, to hide the shame of a man in cuffs." -Serj Tankian

:mushroomgrow:Know Thyself.:mushroomgrow:

"If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on."
-Terence Mckenna

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: "Sorry, you're too fat to eat here" [Re: manyc]
    #7981708 - 02/05/08 08:23 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

OMG they removed decimals and fractions?

I would understand removing imaginary numbers, but fractions and decimals are used EVERY DAY. I use ratios and percentages in my own mental-analysis of everything i do in life.

What retards

OfflineOjom
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: "Sorry, you're too fat to eat here" [Re: memes]
    #7981714 - 02/05/08 08:26 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Heh, thats not true...

InvisibleBurningBeard
The IncomparableMr. Flannery
Male
Loc: The bottom of the bottle.
Re: "Sorry, you're too fat to eat here" [Re: memes]
    #7981720 - 02/05/08 08:29 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I've always believed that the obesity problem stems not from what we're eating, but what we're not doing. Inactivity is, I really believe, the culprit.

Ironic because I just put up a post about this... the When I Was Your Age post. Less about obesity, but it hits that a bit.

Get these people off their asses and make them active... especially kids.

--------------------
Daedalus, your child is falling and the Labyrinth is calling.
Renegade heaps, humanity abandoned
Bower of the vowels, you lit them and fanned them.
Mercury, the courier, celestial messenger
Bed with Dawn, your bride.
Arrowhead of Diane, pierce the mind of a man,
Tongueless muse of time

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#7981721 - 02/05/08 08:29 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Thats fucked up. You just can't reduce a group of people to second-class citizens. It has a bit of a whiff of the racial segregation days of old, I'm not surprised its in Mississippi.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

OfflineChazzersize
Pokemon Master
Male

Loc: Center Of The World
Re: "Sorry, you're too fat to eat here" [Re: Asante]
    #7981793 - 02/05/08 09:01 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Well. I guess if they dont want to be treated as children...I guess they can always just die prematurely from the plethora of health problems associated with obesity.

--------------------
Take off my mask and leave the lies to the liars.

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: "Sorry, you're too fat to eat here" [Re: Chazzersize]
    #7981866 - 02/05/08 09:29 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

i think it's a great law. fat people can go fuck themselves. they look awful when they eat. there should be a private restaurant for them. i love america, that's why i don't live there.

--------------------

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: .
    #7981880 - 02/05/08 09:33 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

That bill would bankrupt a lot of restaraunts. Fat people may only make up 30% of the population, but they eat 60% of the food.

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: "Sorry, you're too fat to eat here" [Re: Cowgold]
    #7981889 - 02/05/08 09:35 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

what about all the diseases fat people get from eating too much and getting fat? aren't they a burden to the health care system?

--------------------

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Re: "Sorry, you're too fat to eat here" [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #7981913 - 02/05/08 09:44 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

There are better solutions to the health care system than dictating where people eat and who restaraunts can call customers. Like treadmills.

This story has to be bullshit.

OfflineOjom
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7981928 - 02/05/08 09:49 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

The bill is real. Its more of a publicity stunt than anything. One of the bills sponsors even said as much.

"I was trying to shed a little light on the number one problem in Mississippi”
He says he never even expected his plan to become law.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

#7981929 - 02/05/08 09:49 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

b0red5tiff said:
i think it's a great law. fat people can go fuck themselves. they look awful when they eat. there should be a private restaurant for them. i love america, that's why i don't live there.

Holy shit

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #7981942 - 02/05/08 09:53 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Cowgold said:
There are better solutions to the health care system than dictating where people eat and who restaraunts can call customers. Like treadmills.

This story has to be bullshit.

this is a minor problem, as the citizens seem to live in a constant marshal law in the U.S. anyway. the amendments are taken away, your basic rights chipped off one by one... its turning into a Kafka novel. expect more absurd, restricting laws soon.

--------------------

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
    #7981971 - 02/05/08 10:01 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I'd rather live here than anywhere else.

I don't know shit about your country and I'm not going to pretend to. You don't have to like the U.S., but don't pretend you know what it's like here.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: "Sorry, you're too fat to eat here" [Re: DragonChaser]
    #7982003 - 02/05/08 10:14 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DragonChaser said:
So Mississippi is fat, and stupid. I guess their reasoning is, if they can't lose the weight, we'll help them, and if they're too dumb to grasp the concept of decimals and fractions, we'll just get rid of them.

"13 August 1999
Jackson, MS -- Bolstered by the state of Kansas' recent measure removing the requirement for the teaching of evolution in public schools, yesterday afternoon the Mississippi legislature passed a bill eliminating fractions and decimal points from the mathematics curriculum of all public secondary schools in the state.

"Despite the coincidental timing of the measure, this was no whim," asserted Mississippi state senator Cassius de Spain. "We'd had the issue under consideration for several months now."

The bill, which cleared the Mississippi Senate by a vote of "a lot" to "a little" (with "this many" senators abstaining) after some initial confusion over how many votes constitute a "majority," directs public secondary schools in Mississippi to emphasize whole number arithmetic in mathematics courses and orders the removal of questions involving non-integer mathematics from standardized state tests after 1999. The fate of percentages remains undetermined as educators attempt to work out an alternative scoring method for tests.

Judith Sutpen, chairperson of the Mississippi Senate Education committee, defended the legislature's action against charges that it was motivated by "controversial religious beliefs."

"This has absolutely nothing to do with religion," she told reporters at a press conference Friday morning. "We're simply seeking to make mathematics more accessible to schoolchildren by de-emphasizing the elements that so many of them find confusing. It makes no sense to try to train our students how to think logically, then present them with nonsensical concepts such as 'irrational' and 'imaginary' numbers."

Senate minority leader Cora Tull indicated that religion did play a part in the passage of the legislation, however, maintaining that "if cardinality is good enough for the Catholic church, it ought to be good enough for the children of the great state of Mississippi." She added that "'improper fractions' have no place in any respectable school system, public or private."

Freshman senator John Sartoris of Brookhaven elaborated on the reasons for his colleagues' support of the bill: "We're sick and tired of hearing about how everything in our culture, from art to entertainment to education, is aimed at the 'lowest common denominator' of society. We're took aggressive action to do something about it yesterday by eliminating that denominator."

School librarians expressed concern about whether they will be able to continue categorizing books according to the Dewey decimal system once the law goes into effect, but Jason Compson, chief librarian for the Greater Biloxi School District, opined that "anyone who couldn't beat that pinko Truman doesn't deserve a place of honor in our schools' libraries anyway."

Several senators indicated that an additional measure aimed at removing "irregular verbs" from English classes might be in the offing."

Do you have a link to this article? I might want to write something about this.

InvisibleAroundtheSon
Learning to See
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest.
Re: "Sorry, you're too fat to eat here" [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #7982140 - 02/05/08 10:48 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

WhiskeyClone said:
Quote:

b0red5tiff said:

Holy shit

lolzzzz :hehehe:

InvisibleRobo
R Series 66Y
Re: "Sorry, you're too fat to eat here" [Re: AroundtheSon]
    #7982145 - 02/05/08 10:50 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Fat people make me sick, its true. Call me ignorant, prejudice, whatever... :shrug:

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

Re: "Sorry, you're too fat to eat here" [Re: Gumby]
    #7982368 - 02/05/08 11:52 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:

Sorry, all I can find is the snopes article at the moment, if you find snopes to be reliable. http://www.snopes.com/lost/fraction.htm

--------------------
My name is Mud

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #7982383 - 02/05/08 11:55 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

i'm surprised it passed without major news coverage or controversy.

--------------------

OfflineLeanin
Student of theIron Game
 User Gallery

Re: "Sorry, you're too fat to eat here" [Re: Gumby]
    #7982390 - 02/05/08 11:56 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

wont make a difference

just like the war on drugs

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
    #7982536 - 02/05/08 12:37 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DragonChaser said:
Quote:

Gumby said:

Sorry, all I can find is the snopes article at the moment, if you find snopes to be reliable. http://www.snopes.com/lost/fraction.htm

Never Hire an Accountant from Mississippi!
The admirable "Urban Legends" website (www.snopes2.com) reports that the following is "true." However, we must admit that it stretches our credulity just a bit. Be that as it may, the Yoknapatawpha County Register of August 13, 1999 reports:

See article above.

It's obviously false. When I tried to find Yoknapatawpha County's register this is what I found.

"Yoknapatawpha County is a fictional county created by American author William Faulkner as a setting for many of his novels."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoknapatawpha_County

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #7982648 - 02/05/08 01:14 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

“There is a better way to deal with health issues than to impose those kind of regulations,” Al Stamps said. “I’m sorry — you can’t do it by treating adults like children and telling them what they can and cannot eat.”

OMG... there's a better day to deal with the War on Drugs than to impose regulations making marijuana illegal, treating adults like children and telling them what they can and cannot smoke.

This is a good example of why our country is so ass-backwards. Double standards fucking everywhere. Bottom line is you can't tell people what they read, see, say, what they buy, who they fuck, what they put in their body... as long as they are not harming any other human beings.

I say if potheads can't have their pot, fat people can't have their fat food.. Fuck 'em.

--------------------

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Re: "Sorry, you're too fat to eat here" [Re: Shroomism]
    #7982654 - 02/05/08 01:16 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Quote:

OMG... there's a better day to deal with the War on Drugs than to impose regulations making marijuana illegal, treating adults like children and telling them what they can and cannot smoke.

I say if potheads can't have their pot, fat people can't have they fat food.. Fuck 'em.

Two wrongs make a right?

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7982657 - 02/05/08 01:16 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Sure, why not. I mean after all we're making so much progress.

--------------------

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
    #7982665 - 02/05/08 01:20 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Quote:

This is a good example of why our country is so ass-backwards. Double standards fucking everywhere. Bottom line is you can't tell people what they read, see, say, what they buy, who they fuck, what they put in their body... as long as they are not harming any other human beings.

I say if potheads can't have their pot, fat people can't have their fat food.. Fuck 'em.

Basicly, as long as I'm not a glutinous pothead I can smoke my drugs?  :macdre:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7982679 - 02/05/08 01:22 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

That was an exercise in cynicism and sarcasm.. I guess I failed.

All I'm saying is it's not the government's place to tell ANYONE what they can or cannot do, as long as they are not hurting anyone else.. it's not their fucking business.

And it shouldn't be against the law to be a fat fuck or a glutinous pothead if that's your choice, that's your fucking choice. And you're not hurting anyone else by doing it. Once you start fucking with other people's lives.. then the line has been crossed.

--------------------

OfflineOracle Of Delphi
I, Phantom
Female

Loc: State of Disrepair
    #7982709 - 02/05/08 01:30 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

after reading this hi-larious thread- i hope you've all already gone out to vote.

cause this here is what i like to call fuckery.

--------------------

http://dictionary.reference.com/

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Re: "Sorry, you're too fat to eat here" [Re: Oracle Of Delphi]
    #7982729 - 02/05/08 01:32 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I didn't vote

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7982738 - 02/05/08 01:34 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Ron Paul FTW

I voted.

but
not like voting does anything anyway.

--------------------

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #7982740 - 02/05/08 01:34 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

“It is too oppressive for government to require a restaurant owner to police another human being from their own indiscretions,” Holland said Monday.

does anyone see any similarities here between other things that many of us enjoy putting into our bodies...?

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: "Sorry, you're too fat to eat here" [Re: demiu5]
    #7982742 - 02/05/08 01:35 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah.. that's why I was trying to get at.

--------------------

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
    #7982743 - 02/05/08 01:35 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
That was an exercise in cynicism and sarcasm.. I guess I failed.

All I'm saying is it's not the government's place to tell ANYONE what they can or cannot do, as long as they are not hurting anyone else.. it's not their fucking business.

You didn't fail. I was playing along.

If skinny people can eat at restaraunts and fat people can't, then it should only be illegal for potheads to smoke.

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #7982751 - 02/05/08 01:36 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

i didn't read the whole thread, sorry man

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

OfflineOracle Of Delphi
I, Phantom
Female

#7982756 - 02/05/08 01:37 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

whatever dude.
not voting does even less.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7982761 - 02/05/08 01:38 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

What's less than nothing?

--------------------

OfflineOracle Of Delphi
I, Phantom
Female

#7982770 - 02/05/08 01:40 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

not caring enough to vote.

--------------------

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

#7982798 - 02/05/08 01:48 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I care enough to vote, but they won't let me

--------------------

OfflineOracle Of Delphi
I, Phantom
Female

#7982809 - 02/05/08 01:52 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

oh, whats up?

--------------------

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

#7982816 - 02/05/08 01:53 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Canadians have no say

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7982818 - 02/05/08 01:55 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Don't feel too bad.. neither do Americans.

--------------------

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

#7982822 - 02/05/08 01:56 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

oooh

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale