Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags, Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
mycologically driven individual
Male User Gallery

fruiting sub for shiitake?
    #7950174 - 01/29/08 12:04 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

okay, in about a week i will need to expand my shiitake grain masters to their fruiting subs. I have polybags, i plan on making up some logs, but of what? i initially wanted to use sawdust/wood chip spawn enriched with either bran or rye (prob rye, i've got a lot of that about...), but i'm having trouble finding wood shavings/sawdust of good consistency. I live in the Olympia, WA area, does anyone have any suggestions for places around here, or just types of places to look? I also don't know exactly what i'm looking for either (consistency-wise), if anyone has pictures of what could be used as a good sub, please post.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for good fruiting subs for shiitakes that i could use alternatively if i can't find wood stuff.
one more thing.... i have access to a wood shop (furniture making) that produces large amounts of shavings. I've read in stamets books that this is usually too fine, but might this work?

--------------------
[url=http:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineb3jamboree
yes we have no portabellas
Male

Loc: 45th Parallel, MI
Re: fruiting sub for shiitake? [Re: SuchSmartMonkeys]
    #7972007 - 02/03/08 08:11 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I'm in the same boat as you, wondering about alternatives to saw dust. Sorry I have no answers now, but will let you know if my research opens any doors...

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: fruiting sub for shiitake? [Re: b3jamboree]
    #7972059 - 02/03/08 08:38 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Shavings are a poor choice due to being too thin and too much space between them. Use hardwood sawdust and hardwood chips if you have them. I've had success with shiitake on hardwood sawdust and Douglas fir chips, so it doesn't have to be 'all' hardwood. I don't know about the oly area, but you can drive up to seattle and pick up bags of alder sawdust for $7 at sawdust supply. The bags are about 40 to 50 pounds. They're in the phonebook. They sometimes have alder chips, and they stock fir chips in their Kent, WA yard.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: fruiting sub for shiitake? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7974022 - 02/03/08 04:30 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

buy wood pellets for wood stoves, $3 for a big o bag this is what i use for sawdust and it does work for me

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags, Substrate Mix