Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinecappincrunk
Male

Loc: A Geographical oddity
Re: 10 Reasons why us TOOL fans like them soo much. [Re: Middleman]
    #7972559 - 02/03/08 11:44 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Aside from 10k days, which I didn't really get into, each albumn is a masterpiece in it's own way. Their a good band, but come on, Gods?

Dannys the man on skins, and Adam has some crazy visual art, but Maynard is a pompous cock gobbler. I can't stand him. Yeah, he's a good singer with an excellent octave range, but not a genius by any means.

--------------------
To derive one's happiness from only specific moments in time is to miss out on the cosmic accident that is all of life's moments

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFurrowedBrow
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Re: 10 Reasons why us TOOL fans like them soo much. [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #7972616 - 02/03/08 11:56 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

WhiskeyClone said:
Quote:

Penguarky Tunguin said:

I think the peak of their "magic" was Lateralus and is their masterpiece.

Fair enough... I hear this a lot.  Here's my question:  those of you who think Lateralus is their best work, when did you start listening to Tool?

I started listening to them when they started playing Stinkfist and Aenima on mtv - mid 90's id guess.  Was lucky enough to get a store bought copy of Salival when it came out.  Pushit on that cd is amazing.  I would like to see more influence from Aloke Dutta in their next album.  (aloke isn't doing to good if you guys didn't know...http://www.alokedutta.com/ - he suffered a massive heart attack last week :frown: ).  Anyway, it's really hard for me to choose a better album between Lateralus and Aenima.  Lateralus came out the day i graduated HighSchool and at our senior party we had an AWESOME listening party.  But with regard to the music comparing the music is like comparing apples to oranges to me.  I just can't do it.  They are both spectacular recordings.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!

I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Ohio Flag
    #7972876 - 02/03/08 12:47 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I like Lateralus the most, it's also when I first started listening to them and saw them on that tour, so it makes sense.

--------------------
!

InvisibleVirus_with_Shoes
Pastor of Muppets
Male User Gallery

Loc: Zuid-Holland, Nederland
Re: 10 Reasons why us TOOL fans like them soo much. [Re: jewunit]
    #7973018 - 02/03/08 01:16 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

When I was in my teens I definitely went through a phase where I idolised them as musicians and thought they could do no wrong. Looking back on it a few years older, I'm kind of irritated by all of the filler tracks on Ænima and Lateralus as well and the way that Maynard comes off very pompously from time to time. There's good and bad about every band and they're not perfect.

To this day I very much love how Adam Jones can take very simple Drop-D riffs and make them sound huge and epic and Justin Chancellor is one of my favourite bass players. I'd say Ænima's my favourite record by them with the song Third Eye having one of the craziest climaxes (or Toolgasms:awesome:) I've ever heard...the Bill Hicks quotes also help :wink:

Sometimes when I hear from other Tool fans they can go a little far in their worship of them, which is kind of funny because the band advocates thinking for yourself and not being a drone. At this point  I'm pretty convinced Maynard can release a record that's just him pleasuring a silverback gorilla for an hour and a half and it will be lauded as an artistic breakthrough. 

An appropriate quote from Monty Python's Life of Brian:
Brian: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for yourselves! You're ALL individuals!
The Crowd: Yes! We're all individuals!
Brian: You're all different!
The Crowd: Yes, we ARE all different!
Man in crowd: I'm not...
The Crowd: Shh!

--------------------

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery

#7973034 - 02/03/08 01:18 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

WhiskeyClone said:
Quote:

Penguarky Tunguin said:

I think the peak of their "magic" was Lateralus and is their masterpiece.

Fair enough... I hear this a lot. Here's my question: those of you who think Lateralus is their best work, when did you start listening to Tool?

I was given Undertow in '95, a year before Aenima came out. I was 12-13. Undertow was the first "metal" album I ever heard.

What does the answer have to do with anything?

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Invisiblewhatsgrimace
Stranger
Male

Re: 10 Reasons why us TOOL fans like them soo much. [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #7977720 - 02/04/08 01:41 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Even if you didn't like 10,000 Days as a whole, it's worth getting just for Wings pt. II alone. What an epic track that one is...

--------------------

f n o r d
Male User Gallery

Re: 10 Reasons why us TOOL fans like them soo much. [Re: whatsgrimace]
    #7978510 - 02/04/08 04:50 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

hell yeah, man. Best track on the album.

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

OfflineRylmonkey
Former Master ofThe RX-7
Male

#7981781 - 02/05/08 08:54 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Man tool is the shit there concert's are a trip even if your not tripping, but if your tripping like I do every time they come around, it's like a religious pilgrimage for me. Last concert they played Flood from undertow and I was tripping sac and I swear I could see like an evil undead ball of death heading my way it was fucken amazing, i wasn't scared either. Those fuckers had control of every molecular vibration in that concert how do they do it.

For anyone who has dbouts about this band do yourself a favor and go to one of there concerts. There the pink floyd of our time.

InvisibleMiddlemanM

Re: 10 Reasons why us TOOL fans like them soo much. [Re: Rylmonkey]
    #7984572 - 02/05/08 09:03 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

f n o r d
Male User Gallery

#7984726 - 02/05/08 09:39 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Exactly my point.  :grin:

There's a reason the band is called Tool...

--------------------

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#7984771 - 02/05/08 09:50 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

The pic is a joke, I'm fanatical about the music not the musicians.

There's a reason the new tool logo looks like f00l...

Here from the king's mountain view.

Pastor of Muppets
Male User Gallery

#7984837 - 02/05/08 10:00 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Middleman said:
I'm fanatical about the music not the musicians.

Perfectly encapsulates how I feel about it. As the music goes they are in a tier all to themselves...well maybe King Crimson.

--------------------

f n o r d
Male User Gallery

#7984850 - 02/05/08 10:02 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Middleman said:
The pic is a joke, I'm fanatical about the music not the musicians.

There's a reason the new tool logo looks like f00l...

Here from the king's mountain view.

Goddamnit! I grinned at you!

--------------------

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#7984862 - 02/05/08 10:04 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I know dude, I'm grinning too. :grin:

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #7986692 - 02/06/08 01:24 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Middleman said:
I'm not talking to the Colonel, I'm talking to Penguarky and Yawning.

This isn't The Pub, destructive criticism isn't appreciated in here. :kittyeagle:

so we dont have the right to disagree with someone about musical taste that they claim is pinnacle? I post shittons of pretentious music threads in here and never once has a mod swooped in to say the above quote. not that I want you to.
All I was saying was that most Tool fans stop at Tool and progress no further in music appreciation, but still think that they are allowed to be musical elite pretentious snobs like me.
it doesnt work that way. I could fucking destroy matt pinfield.

also, Tool has gimmicks, which goes against everything they "stand" for. shit, even what they "Stand" for is a gimmick anyway.
from elaborate Nosferatu costumes to turning your back to the crowd the entire show while only wearing pajama pants.
and frankly I dont give a shit what Fripp was claimed to have said, it is abundantly obvious that Tool is almost entirely influenced by KC. Like I said, go listen to Red.
the discrepancy is what irks me. If you like Tool, but dont like KC, then it means you basically are a fanboi gimmick whore. KC's music is a little more complex, but often has the same feeling of epic darkness, but has very little "show"... granted, not every song sounds like that, because KC has way more depth than Tool ever will.

InvisibleMiddlemanM

Re: 10 Reasons why us TOOL fans like them soo much. [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #7986781 - 02/06/08 01:42 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

YawningAnus said:
I like TOOL.... but I despise diehard TOOLs.

I have already had a heated debate about it on here before, but if you are a tool fan, and you cant name one king crimson song... kill yourself.

You have the right to your opinion, just please try not to be such a douche bag about it.

I like KC and they obviously influenced Tool, but your views are just plain retarded.

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Ohio Flag
    #7986865 - 02/06/08 02:01 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Middleman said:
You have the right to your opinion, just please try not to be such a douche bag about it.

I like KC and they obviously influenced Tool, but your views are just plain retarded.

Practice what you preach.

--------------------
!

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #7986882 - 02/06/08 02:04 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Penguarky Tunguin said:
Quote:

WhiskeyClone said:

Fair enough... I hear this a lot. Here's my question: those of you who think Lateralus is their best work, when did you start listening to Tool?

I was given Undertow in '95, a year before Aenima came out. I was 12-13. Undertow was the first "metal" album I ever heard.

What does the answer have to do with anything?

Just curious. When Lateralus came out, there were suddenly a lot more Tool fans. I was hypothesizing that most of those who favored Lateralus liked it more because it was their initial point of contact with Tool. I had never met anyone who already loved Aenima, bought Lateralus, and loved it more than its predecessor. My preference for Aenima and Undertow lies somewhere in the singing, mostly. There was something unpretentious and organic about it that seemed to be gone in Lateralus. Hard to put my finger on it.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Pastor of Muppets
Male User Gallery

#7986939 - 02/06/08 02:15 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I had never met anyone who already loved Aenima, bought Lateralus, and loved it more than its predecessor. My preference for Aenima and Undertow lies somewhere in the singing, mostly. There was something unpretentious and organic about it that seemed to be gone in Lateralus. Hard to put my finger on it.

I know exactly what you mean. Hearing Ænima for the first time, I knew I was listening to something groundbreaking and epic. There was really no precedent for it at the time, a perfect synthesis of 70s prog rock (obviously a lot of KC) and huge metal hooks. When Lateralus came around it couldn't compare to Ænima as an overall album for me. There are some amazing tracks on Lateralus (i.e. Lateralus, the Grudge and the Patient) but I personally get more of an emotional response from Ænima. Not sure why.

--------------------

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

Loc: ohio
Re: 10 Reasons why us TOOL fans like them soo much. [Re: Virus_with_Shoes]
    #7988645 - 02/06/08 07:44 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I agree... I like Ænima the best... if I had to pick just one album to listen to of tools it would be Ænima. Has the best feel of any of the albums.

Tool has a lot of fanbois but still you can ignore that and see the part of them that people can appreciate. But oh well, taste is taste :smile:

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale