Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com CVG Mushroom Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleshroober
Myco Junkie

Preferred Pasteurizing Tek
    #7959369 - 01/31/08 08:05 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

There seem to be a lot of different teks on bulk sub and casing pasteurizing. The oven tek, the cooler tek, the boiling pot tek, etc. I'm interested to hear what others are currently using and would suggest.

Before any hall monitors tells me to do a search, read my question carefully. I'm asking what others are currently using and for suggestions, not "How do I pasteurize?".

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
Re: Preferred Pasteurizing Tek [Re: shroober]
    #7959523 - 01/31/08 09:22 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5998572#Post5998572

i use no other method! of course if im going to pasteurize coir i first hydrate it then bring it to field capacity and then pc it. i dont just dump some near boiling water in a cooler with my sub and wait an hr and call it good.

Invisibleshroober
Myco Junkie

Re: Preferred Pasteurizing Tek [Re: blood4blood]
    #7959530 - 01/31/08 09:26 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

RR's Pasteurize Post
"It's very easy to use your PC to pasteurize in quart jars.
Load your field capacity casing material or compost/manure into quart jars and place in the PC.
Fill with COLD water 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up the jars.
Place the jars in your PC or other large covered pot with COLD water
Cover and turn on the stove. Do not place the weight on your pc. Leave the vent open.
Allow the water to come to a boil where you can feel steam escaping from the vent hole.
Allow steam to escape for five minutes, but no longer.
Shut off the stove and leave the PC alone for 1/2 an hour.
Then repeat the process...bring it back up to a boil.
Allow steam to escape for five minutes, but no longer.
Shut off the stove and leave the PC alone for 2 hours.
At that time, you can remove the jars and they'll be just right.
I've used this tek for years, and the interior of the jars will reach 150F for an hour, but never exceed 170F"

That's what you are referring to right? That sounds good to me. I think I'll try it out tonight.

Offlinegaladar

Loc: in a monotub!
Re: Preferred Pasteurizing Tek [Re: shroober]
    #7959619 - 01/31/08 09:58 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

the only method i use is jars in boiling water with a thermometer in one to know the temp.

Offlineflushme
Shroomery OG
Male User Gallery

Loc: Kazakhstan
Re: Preferred Pasteurizing Tek [Re: galadar]
    #7960040 - 01/31/08 12:40 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

i use the jars for casing and bulk i do straw in a pillow case and submerged in water for 90 min at 140-170 degrees, take out and allow to cool and drain for 2-3 hrs

--------------------
TRUST IN THE FLUSH

Take Salvia Cuttings Successfully

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Preferred Pasteurizing Tek [Re: flushme]
    #7960143 - 01/31/08 01:15 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

oven bags work pretty well too..  you can probably ignore the measurements and such.. just take the procedure and whatnot. :smile:  could probably bring down the cooking time with a less dense amount being steamed.  hope you don't mind me quoting it in here..  if ya do, just let me know.

Quote:

Mixing the Substrate

I use two tubs. One larger than the other. I mix in the small one and the larger one is to catch any spillage and to keep things clean, but you can use whatever. I find it easier to hydrate the substrate  in a smaller tub too.

Now I use a bowl that is 3.5 L to measure out the HPoo  and Straw...

Two of those go into the tub (so about 7 L of Hpoo)...

Then about 3/4 of that of straw  (only once)..

Then I just eye out about three cups or so of verm . I used course here but you can use whatever grade... it's mainly for water retention. Here it is all together before mixing..

mixed before water added...

Now I add about a half gallon of water to that amount of dry substrate . I'm pasteurizing this in oven bags (in this case) so I want to have the mix slightly more saturated than field capacity  due to some evaporation during the Pasteurization  time..

Now I pour the water into the mixture and use my fist to press down on the mix. This forces the water into the dry substrate...

Now I break the pressed down substrate  up and repeat the pressing down with the fist until the water is evenly distributed. Here's what it looks like after multiple presses..

I usually use 6 mil polybags but not everyone has them so I'm doing this with my favorite things in the world, oven bags... turkey size...

Now this is important... I count how many handfuls it takes to put this amount into the oven bag.. In this case, it takes about 10 of these handfuls for the amount of substrate  we just made.. I'll tell you why we count in a bit..

Here we are half done...

Now repeat the same process with the same amount of substrate  and put it in the same oven bag with the first substrate  you made...

Now remember that it took about 20 handfuls to substrate  to make that amount... this is one bins worth of substrate  in a 54 qt (around that size) bin at a depth of about 4.5 inches.

Like I said, I'm using oven bags, but since they are going to be in 160 F. water for about 4.5 hours, they get weak so we're going to double bag them.

I like the steam method of pasteurizing because it's waaaay less messy and you don't leach any nutes out of the substrate.

I put this in cold water (so it all heats up evenly) with a large bowl of water on top of the bags of substrate  to keep it submerged. Now make sure you don't tie the bags off.. if you do this, steam will build up and make your bags really hard to keep under the water as they will expand.. just let the bag openings hang over the side of the pot... make sure they aren't going to melt or start on fire though..

heres two tubs worth going as the same time.. Like I said, I keep them at about 160 F. for 4.5 hours.. they are about as big as a turkey so they need to cook as long as a turkey...

after 4.5 hours I remove the inner bag holding the substrate  from the PC  and outer bag...

Then I take a clean knife and poke small holes all over the bag about every two inches to let the substrate  breathe while it cools... if you don't do this, you'll probably end up with bacteria infestation.. I've had it happen.

Then I just lay them on a cookie sheet to cool with the bag openings loosely folded over like so for about four to six hours.. I mix the bag up every-once-in-awhile so that the center doesn't stay too warm..

fahtster

InvisibleDay Tripper
Got a goodreason, for taking the easyway out.

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Re: Preferred Pasteurizing Tek [Re: fahtster]
    #7960214 - 01/31/08 01:37 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I like RRs Pasteur tek, cause you can make up some extra jars and just leave them sealed till you need them.

But I suppose if you use the whole bag, then a bag tek is better like fahster said.

--------------------
Death is inevitable, and therefore irrelevant, life is optional, and therefore irreplaceable.

Offlinexeallos
Sore wa himitsudesu!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Woods of a Thousand Y...
Re: Preferred Pasteurizing Tek [Re: Day Tripper]
    #7960357 - 01/31/08 02:10 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I use Akira's bulk steamer with poly bags. I was previously following RR's jar boiling which works really well but is too much work prepping and cleaning all those jars once you scale up to 20+ qts of sub per bin.

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
Re: Preferred Pasteurizing Tek [Re: xeallos]
    #7960379 - 01/31/08 02:15 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

xeallos said:
I use Akira's bulk steamer with poly bags. I was previously following RR's jar boiling which works really well but is too much work prepping and cleaning all those jars once you scale up to 20+ qts of sub per bin.

ahk! if you rinse the jars out right away they clean up real nice. its not that much work. but im not knocking any other method. akira's is pimp though. if your doing alot rr's prob isnt the way to go. but i dont mind making 3 runs with it to wind down a night.

InvisibleMojo
Stranger

Re: Preferred Pasteurizing Tek [Re: blood4blood]
    #7960542 - 01/31/08 02:54 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Depends how much your doing. I like the pillow case method the most.

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Preferred Pasteurizing Tek [Re: Mojo]
    #7960564 - 01/31/08 02:57 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

You can use those mesh laundry bags from walmart to place your bulk substrate materials into.

Bring a pot of water to a 5 minute boil, remove from the stove and submerge your bulk materials and let sit for 90minutes (1 and a half hours) remove, let cool then squeeze it as hard as possible until no water drips (well, next to none)

pack into your FC or whatever it is that you'll be using as a container and add your spawn.

I agree, Fred is right :wink:

best way for a home cultivator to pasteurize bulk materials man.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Preferred Pasteurizing Tek [Re: HybridprX]
    #7960598 - 01/31/08 03:02 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

You can also fruit in those synthetic laundry bags. If the mesh is fine enough, the fruits form on the mesh, where they pick off completely clean, and the substrate stays on the other side of the bag.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleMojo
Stranger

Re: Preferred Pasteurizing Tek [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7960611 - 01/31/08 03:04 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

That sounds sweet! :smile:

Offlineflushme
Shroomery OG
Male User Gallery

Loc: Kazakhstan
    #7960811 - 01/31/08 03:59 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
You can also fruit in those synthetic laundry bags.  If the mesh is fine enough, the fruits form on the mesh, where they pick off completely clean, and the substrate stays on the other side of the bag.
RR

evertime i see my laundry bag i think about trying that with oysters kinda like the luandry basket, nice you said somethin about it:borat:

akira's tek looks awsome i dident know if anyone else tryed it though

--------------------
TRUST IN THE FLUSH

Take Salvia Cuttings Successfully

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

Loc: Elsewhere.
Re: Preferred Pasteurizing Tek [Re: fahtster]
    #7964661 - 02/01/08 12:21 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Fahtster: This seems like a rad tek, and am gonna try it. Is this all there is to the tek? Or is this just part? If it's just part, where can I find the rest of it? I'm retarded and was unable to find it. :frown: Thanks!

--------------------
"If I had a single wish, I would have every single human on this planet see this natural world the way I see it; the beauty in such simple things such as a fallen tree that is covered in moss and that has new trees growing from it. To some, fallen trees are ugly. But in reality, it is the circle of life at its finest. This is a beautiful world, its time that we recognize that before its all gone."

OfflinebrainsOplenty
myconut
Male

Loc: on your sister
    #7964705 - 02/01/08 12:30 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
You can also fruit in those synthetic laundry bags. If the mesh is fine enough, the fruits form on the mesh, where they pick off completely clean, and the substrate stays on the other side of the bag.
RR

what about mesh paint strainer bags?

--------------------
FOR GOD'S SAKE MAN! TELL ME ABOUT THE FUCKING GOLF SHOES!!!

LIVIN THE LIFE!!!

"WE KNOCK NIGGAS OUT AND MAKE EM BOUNCE LIKE RICKY HATTON"- IMMORTAL TECHNIQUE

Invisiblejoshua m
Not a NoOb
Male

Loc: MiD wEsT
Re: Preferred Pasteurizing Tek [Re: brainsOplenty]
    #7964988 - 02/01/08 01:43 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

When I used to grow for my substrate I would mix 75%coir pre moistened and 25% straw. Take a 5 gallon Paint Straining bag. I know sounds strange but they carry them in any home depot, Lowe's, fleet farm, etc. It is essentially a mesh bag that has tiny holes and is very sturdy. Take a 5gallon bucket put the paint straining bag and put it around the lip of the bucket it will fit nice and snug because the opening is elastic. Now add your substrate mix in to the bucket which is lined with the straining bag. fill to the top take a tie strap close the top. Now just pull the mesh bag out the 5 gallon bucket. Now i put it right in to my PC and use a candy thermometer and cook it at 175 on the dot for 3 hours. When your done remove the bag from the PC and set in the sink and it will drain right to field capacity for you. YEeea yeeea. Let cool for 4 hours cut the tie strap and it will fill a 25x17 inch bin 4inch's deep.

Now for casing simply mix it up to field capacity put in jars and use quart jars and can YES CAN THEM LIKE YOU WOULD WITH FOOD so obviously no holes in jars. PC at 15 for 60 min and let cool and it will self seal like the canner/pressure cooker is meant to do. I had casing that was one year old and I used it and it worked as good as the day I canned it. HMMmmmm go figure

--------------------
We can't stop here...This is bat country!!!

Fear and Loathing is the greatest movie ever!!!

OfflinebrainsOplenty
myconut
Male

Loc: on your sister
Re: Preferred Pasteurizing Tek [Re: joshua m]
    #7965018 - 02/01/08 01:50 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

joshua m said:
When I used to grow for my substrate I would mix 75%coir pre moistened and 25% straw. Take a 5 gallon Paint Straining bag. I know sounds strange but they carry them in any home depot, Lowe's, fleet farm, etc. It is essentially a mesh bag that has tiny holes and is very sturdy. Take a 5gallon bucket put the paint straining bag and put it around the lip of the bucket it will fit nice and snug because the opening is elastic. Now add your substrate mix in to the bucket which is lined with the straining bag. fill to the top take a tie strap close the top. Now just pull the mesh bag out the 5 gallon bucket. Now i put it right in to my PC and use a candy thermometer and cook it at 175 on the dot for 3 hours. When your done remove the bag from the PC and set in the sink and it will drain right to field capacity for you. YEeea yeeea. Let cool for 4 hours cut the tie strap and it will fill a 25x17 inch bin 4inch's deep.

Now for casing simply mix it up to field capacity put in jars and use quart jars and can YES CAN THEM LIKE YOU WOULD WITH FOOD so obviously no holes in jars. PC at 15 for 60 min and let cool and it will self seal like the canner/pressure cooker is meant to do. I had casing that was one year old and I used it and it worked as good as the day I canned it. HMMmmmm go figure

that's how i pasteurize my straw. those paint strainers rock, and they are very cheap. i was just wondering about fruiting out of those bags.

--------------------
FOR GOD'S SAKE MAN! TELL ME ABOUT THE FUCKING GOLF SHOES!!!

LIVIN THE LIFE!!!

"WE KNOCK NIGGAS OUT AND MAKE EM BOUNCE LIKE RICKY HATTON"- IMMORTAL TECHNIQUE

InvisibleDay Tripper
Got a goodreason, for taking the easyway out.

Loc: Rocky Mountains
    #7965229 - 02/01/08 02:48 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
RR

Kind of an interesting thing Roger, could this be applied to casing bulk sub in a tray/bin?

I mean could you apply a layer of synthetic laundry bag to the top of your casing for the same advantage?

Invisiblejoshua m
Not a NoOb
Male

Loc: MiD wEsT
Re: Preferred Pasteurizing Tek [Re: brainsOplenty]
    #7965242 - 02/01/08 02:54 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Totally Brains!!Do you use a casing mix like mine i gotta tell ya it's never once spawned trich, cob web etc. It makes the job much less messy you don't have to do it all the time just whip up a double batch of your fav casing mix PC it and forget about it till months down the road.

--------------------
We can't stop here...This is bat country!!!

Fear and Loathing is the greatest movie ever!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com CVG Mushroom Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom