Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Important Read for those eating Wild Mushrooms
    #7927795 - 01/25/08 12:20 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Mushroom Poisonings Reported in 2004

and there is also more to read at that link if you look around

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecasgoodie
weedwright
Male User Gallery

Loc: terra
Re: Important Read for those eating Wild Mushrooms [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #7927968 - 01/25/08 01:02 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

so it says boletus edulis: dude got sick , does that mean he misidentified or what? rotten?

--------------------
TRAPPED IN LINGUISTIC CONCEPTS

Invisiblescruffymafia
Dreamer

Loc: Wonderland
Re: Important Read for those eating Wild Mushrooms [Re: casgoodie]
    #7928447 - 01/25/08 04:03 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

And the moral of the story:

Don't take amanitas...

Psilocybe mushrooms are less toxic than asprin. And most Amanitas are more toxic than domestic rat baits. I can't see why people keep doing them...

--------------------
This is the strangest life I've ever known.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Important Read for those eating Wild Mushrooms [Re: scruffymafia]
    #7929326 - 01/25/08 11:15 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

> Psilocybe mushrooms are less toxic than asprin. And most Amanitas are more toxic than domestic rat baits. I can't see why people keep doing them...

Amanita mushrooms taste good, have a good texture after you fry them and are no more dangerous than non-amanita mushrooms as long as you ID them properly.

I will definitely be looking for Amanita velosa this spring.

Invisiblescout24
Hallelujah!
 User Gallery

Loc: Disappear Here
    #7929345 - 01/25/08 11:21 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

It's a good read. Here are some excerpts:

"Amanita pantherina. Case 1: Idaho, five male and female adults, 42 to 74, picked what they had identified as "Shaggy Manes" but had a mixed collection of Amanita pantherina and a smaller blue-gray mushroom. Within three hours one male began acting agitated and appeared to be hallucinating, soon at least 4 were affected and those four were hospitalized. They all were vomiting, had altered states, muscle twitching, some were agitated, then sleeping or comatose. One patient had a very low blood count."

Shaggy Manes? Not even remotely close.

"Boletes? A man in the San Francisco Bay Area who thought he was collecting Boletes suffered renal failure and reportedly died. No other information is available."

I wonder what this guy was eating. Seems unlikely it was boletes.

"Psilocybe cubensis. An individual suffered a bad trip with this hallucinogenic species, but no details are available."

I know that guy!

--------------------
Always
Be
Closing

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co. Flag
Re: Important Read for those eating Wild Mushrooms [Re: scout24]
    #7930923 - 01/25/08 05:03 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

scout24 said:
"Psilocybe cubensis. An individual suffered a bad trip with this hallucinogenic species, but no details are available."

I know that guy!

me too!:lol:

--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Loc: Montana
Trusted Identifier
Re: Important Read for those eating Wild Mushrooms [Re: scout24]
    #7930953 - 01/25/08 05:11 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

twas a good read. I liked the amanita muscaria poisonings the best. Wives feeling drunk. Kaleidoscopic vision. I especially liked the guy who wasn't worried that he was talking to his dead father after eating amanita muscaria. On a more serious note though, the phalloides and virosa write ups sounded awful...intestinal perforation, liver failure, not for me.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #7933326 - 01/26/08 01:33 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

On the Boletus edulis poisoning, I'll check with Marilyn Shaw (who almost certainly made the original report) and find out. I know of several people who have problems with Boletus edulis, and they become fairly sick if they eat any. Some of them only have problems if there is also consumption of alcohol, but no problems with either the mushrooms or the alcohol separately. I know there have also been several poisonings in the last several years where people ate mushrooms that had rotted, for example a couple that ate chanterelles they stored raw in their freezer.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co. Flag
Re: Important Read for those eating Wild Mushrooms [Re: ToxicMan]
    #7933379 - 01/26/08 01:44 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ToxicMan said:
I know there have also been several poisonings in the last several years where people ate mushrooms that had rotted, for example a couple that ate chanterelles they stored raw in their freezer.

really? doesnt seem like they would have looked like something i would have wanted to eat.

--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Important Read for those eating Wild Mushrooms [Re: sui]
    #7934347 - 01/26/08 10:50 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

The trick is that the rotted mushrooms apparently didn't look rotted. I know I've had to tell lots of people to throw away what they've picked because they suddenly become very optimistic about the mushrooms they found. After spending an afternoon hiking in the mountains and all you found was a few slightly-less-than-perfect specimens of some choice edible, it becomes very difficult for some people to throw away their precious find.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
    #7947644 - 01/28/08 08:49 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

scruffymafia said:
And the moral of the story:

Don't take amanitas...

Psilocybe mushrooms are less toxic than asprin. And most Amanitas are more toxic than domestic rat baits. I can't see why people keep doing them...

Psilocybe mushrooms are in class E and Amanitas is in class F on the Poisindex.

They have Amanita being less poisons then Psilocybe mushrooms.. :confused:

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Important Read for those eating Wild Mushrooms [Re: Brainiac]
    #7948902 - 01/29/08 01:11 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

That's strange. What reference are you using?

For example, here is a quick reference (warning: pdf) that includes poisindex data for the various mushroom toxins. It places the amatoxins into group 1 and psilocybin and psilocin into group 6. It is worth noting that unknown toxins fall into group 7, and some of those can be lethal.

BTW, that pdf linked to above is a pretty good quick guide on mushroom poisoning and safety.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblescruffymafia
Dreamer

Loc: Wonderland
    #7949063 - 01/29/08 02:17 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Hmm read the side effects of muscaria poisoning tho...

It is probably just a ploy. Psi's are probably more of a 'drug problem' to the government than muscarias. Remember its a government organisation.

--------------------
This is the strangest life I've ever known.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #7950088 - 01/29/08 11:34 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not sure what you're getting at. The list of symptoms for A. muscaria in that pamphlet is an accurate clinical description of the symptoms. That is, those are the symptoms you would observe in patients who had eaten A. muscaria.

Here in Colorado (and probably in Michigan also), psilocybin containing mushrooms are relatively rare. As a group we get more poisonings from A. muscaria and A. pantherina than any others. There are lots of reasons for this. First, poisonings are counted from people to end up in the emergency room or who call 911 or the poison center (or similar numbers). People who eat Amanitas are far more likely than people who eat Psilocybes to end up feeling sick enough to seek help.

As for the 1 - 5 % death rate, I don't know where they got that statistic. I would suspect that any deaths due to these Amanitas are most likely to be from aspiration of vomit, an unlikely occurrence because they usually don't cause vomiting. Deaths from eating these Amanita species are very rare and generally involve heroic doses.

While some government publications can certainly be viewed with suspicion because of their source, I have found that Extension Service publications are generally of excellent quality. For things to be suspicious of, anything published as part of the War Against Some Drugs can be treated as unlikely to be accurate right off the bat.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineBoulderBoomer
Super Tramp
Male

Loc: Kanchanaburi Province, Th... Flag
    #7957354 - 01/30/08 07:24 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ToxicMan said:
The trick is that the rotted mushrooms apparently didn't look rotted. I know I've had to tell lots of people to throw away what they've picked because they suddenly become very optimistic about the mushrooms they found. After spending an afternoon hiking in the mountains and all you found was a few slightly-less-than-perfect specimens of some choice edible, it becomes very difficult for some people to throw away their precious find.

Happy mushrooming!

I know exactly what you're talking about Toxic. I came home with some Boletus I found in the Indian Peaks last summer and it was tough throwing most of them out after cutting them open.

--------------------
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."
  -Willy Wonka

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #7958577 - 01/30/08 11:38 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

casgoodie said:
so it says boletus edulis: dude got sick , does that mean he misidentified or what? rotten?

Good question cas. I hope that Toxic can fill us in on that report. I assume that yes of course some people can have a allergic reaction to that mushroom. If some select people get sick from consuming Oysters and Portabella's and Shiitakes that were cultivated and sold in grocery stores, sure, why not a wild Bolete also. Now that I think of it I think that I experienced not feeling all too well (but not sick) after the only time I tried them from fresh specimens that were cooked. Probably because i used to drink beer often, i am not sure. Otherwise I am not aware of myself being allergic to anything.

Thanks for the MSU link about mushroom poisoning TM. There is a mushroom in their listing labeled as psychoactive, when it most likely should not be labeled in such a way.

Also, a relatively unknown piece of data (probably for good reason) is that Chlorophyllum molybdites can be parboiled and *the majority* of the toxins will seep into the water and can be drained off. . . I have heard that they have very good flavor. This is not something I would risk experimenting with myself or recommend anyone try doing though. Mycologist and Taxonomist William Alphonso Murrill (1869-1957) used to eat them all the time prepared using that method.

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
    #7958832 - 01/31/08 12:44 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

"...Cantharellus formosus. Case 1: Washington, male, 50, purchased a pound of Yellow Chanterelles in good condition at a roadside stand and ate one large one (no alcohol involved). Several hours later he experienced hallucination and weakness, becoming completely disoriented, with imagined visits and conversation. He slept with troubled dreams and awoke tired but with a clear head. The mushrooms were later positively identified as Chanterelles..."

Hrm.. I wonder if it was the mushrooms or something else random happening to him.

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #7958974 - 01/31/08 01:56 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

As far as the edibility of C. molybdites, I have a reference that indicates that some percentage of the population actually can eat them with no ill effects. The problem is that the only way to find out is to eat some, and the ill effects are so bad that no sane person would risk it just for the sake of a possible pleasant meal.

There are more errors out there on which mushrooms are psychoactive than you can shake a stick at. There are people who feel a need to tilt at that windmill endlessly. The people who are composing the lists like the one from MSU are generally willing to err on the side of caution. Most people would really rather not accidentally eat psychoactive mushrooms.

I've also heard (from several sources) that repeated boiling and discarding the water from Amanita muscaria will remove the toxins and leave a good edible mushroom. Several people I know have tried it and reported that they still got sick.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #7959039 - 01/31/08 02:47 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

>I've also heard (from several sources) that repeated boiling and
>discarding the water from Amanita muscaria will remove the toxins
>and leave a good edible mushroom. Several people I know have tried
>it and reported that they still got sick.

Huh... it must be a California thing. Tom Volk hadn't even heard of the technique.
"parboiling" A. muscaria is fairly common knowledge/practice among mycophiles in CA. I've only tried them pan fried. They were delicious going down, not coming back up.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom